Used 2002 Nissan Xterra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

Fun vehicle to drive
By john

2002 Nissan Xterra XE S/C 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl S/C 5M)

This is a really good vehicle. I bought it new for my wife in 2001 and she drove it for 5 years and gave it over to me. I have driven a lot of vehicles but this is my favorite. Tough, dependable, versatile. Great in the snow if you add some weight in the back.

Ground clearance, engine

Gas mileage

Great truck
By Brandyn

2002 Nissan Xterra XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

In 07 my grandma bought our XT used. Unfortunately, my grandma passed away in December of 07 and she left me the vehicle. I got my license 2 months ago and I absolutely love my XT, except that the check engine light comes on at random times and the front piece is faded pretty bad. I feel very lucky to get to start out my driving experience with this vehicle and I would recommend it to anyone.

Looks, a lot of space on the inside and its comfortable.

Umm... MPG,and some backseat A/C vents would be nice.

Solid
By Brandon64

2002 Nissan Xterra XE-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased my Xterra in the summer of 01. It has been a reliable and durable truck. It's suffered the scorching summers of Phoenix, Az and the freezing winters of the Rocky Mountains in Colorado and has never left us stranded. All parts still work. With regular maintenance it'll last forever. At 110K still runs strong no big repairs except for a high hose leak in the air conditioner, the power steering pump leaks but was fixed with a $10 additive and the rear main seal (common amongst Nissan trucks) is leaking oil but was fixed with another $10 additive I picked up. Overall been a fantastic vehicle. You can always depend on your Xterra

The plain but pretty interior, the stiff seats, that really powerful feel you get from the driver's seat.

More powerful engine, gas mileage that doesn't rival a tank.

It's been a ROCK
By kkempskie

2002 Nissan Xterra XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

Gotta say this has been a solid truck. Bought new in late 02 and ever since my XT has been very reliable. It's no-nonsense and does what it's supposed to do. Off-roading is a blast when we ride the dunes on the beach and it is a tank in the snow. My 1st set of tires got 50+ on them and 2nd sets of Coopers got 60+. It hauls everything I've needed - dishwashers, plywood, kids, vacay stuff to the brim. Love my XT but may have to part with it soon since I need something that will tow a heavier boat! Great truck, so long as it's properly maintained.

Off-roading and snow - this truck handles as good as my old LR Disco. Looks great too - wish Nissan kept the oval headlamps in the newer models. No-nonsense truck that is solid and reliable. Holds child seats no prob as well and gets OK gas mileage for an SUV.

Horsepower for sure, but they've fixed that w/ new models. The V6 I have is def underpowered, but adequate. Gas mileage of course for ALL SUVs. Wish towing capacity was more so I could keep it. This has been a great truck for us.

SENORS SPENDER
By JWilliams

2002 Nissan Xterra SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

Had a good run with it until 80k then the check engine lights starting glowing bright. O2 and knock sensor failed. Knock sensor lives inside the engine so yeah, big repair bill. All said and done it was a $1200.00 bill to fix two stupid little "make your engine run fun" gadgets. I can out run it on the onramps but, I'm not considering that a big deal. I finally got to where it needed brakes at 75k - I thought that was incredible! All in all, it's been pretty good. Hope to get another 80k out of it. Truck still drives and rides like it did when it was new. No problems outside of what I mentioned earlier

Always ready to go, built for the offroad. Lots of room for toys.

Of course - better MPG, make a better sensor if you're going to put it inside the engine! Grrrrr...