Used 2002 Nissan Xterra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

Most Helpful|
nissan exterra disposable
By sadnissanowner

2002 Nissan Xterra SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

after 5 yrs of maintenance, it now needs 5000$ worth of work just to be safe on the road. I have kept it maintained...costed more than my toyota tundra which is older and still like brand new

Favorite Features

looks

Suggested Improvements

total mechanical breakdown after only 5 years well maintained; mechanic says he sees this all the time

Too expensive to fill up the tank!
By J&Ms

2002 Nissan Xterra SE S/C 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl S/C 5M)

When I bought my Xterra, I was unaware the of the horrible gas mileage that it got. Typically it will get 12 miles to the gallon and it takes premium fuel to fill up. Here in California, we are approaching $3/gallon. I won't be able to afford the cost of driving it.

Suggested Improvements

Impreve the gas mileage! Can you fill 'er up with regular?

14 - 19 mpg NOT!
By Mange

2002 Nissan Xterra XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

We just bought our XTERRA and the amount of gas it goes through is a disappointment. Nissan declares 14-19 mpg and we're lucky to get 14 mpg highway. Very disappointing. The engine also takes 10-15 minutes to warm up, which means that I'm driving with the engine screaming at 4000 rpm (62 mph). When the engine is finally warm, I'm still at 3000 rpm (62mph). This can't be good. We are looking to trade it in after 4 months.

Favorite Features

Looks (exterior)

Suggested Improvements

State the true gas mileage on the sticker. If it's 14-19, then o.k., but if it's 10-14, then say so.

cheap seats
By jana

2002 Nissan Xterra XE S/C 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl S/C 5M)

I've had over 20 different cars and these are by far the WORST!!!! The foam is like a marshmellow. If I would have known how bad I would have never bought the car and probably will not keep the car...I can't believe the in dash ash tray is an accessory so you have a hole in the dash that looks like crap.. I'm really disapointed with this car, I know it's not a luxury car but please....Oh by the way this is not my first suv it's my third...

Favorite Features

I like the looks of the car but I can't get past how uncomforable it is to drive

Suggested Improvements

seats seats seats........ oh and a better sunroof would be nice

Looks good... rides bad
By quag_grenade

2002 Nissan Xterra SE S/C 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl S/C 5M)

I bought the xterra with high hopes. I fell in love with its looks and was hooked. I knew going into it that it would get bad mpg and require premium gas but even then was surprised. I had heard 18-21 mpg or so... i was lucky if I got 15 average (and I drive 80% highway and very conservatively). However I was even willing to look past this fact were it not for the absolutely terrible reliability. In the six months I owned the car it cost me over $4000 in repairs! Twice it died on me on the road (once was camping in the woods 3 hrs from home). Bottom line is, only get one if you have a lot of extra money for gas and high priced, frequent repairs.

Favorite Features

Looks, supercharger provided enough power for an SUV. Good in the snow with the 4X4. The ladies liked it.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability. Gas. Make the car easier to work on... mechanical bills were at least twice what they were for my honda ( the car i had previously) for the exact same repair.