Used 2002 Nissan Xterra SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Nissan Xterra SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

Looks good... rides bad
By quag_grenade

2002 Nissan Xterra SUV SE S/C 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl S/C 5M)

I bought the xterra with high hopes. I fell in love with its looks and was hooked. I knew going into it that it would get bad mpg and require premium gas but even then was surprised. I had heard 18-21 mpg or so... i was lucky if I got 15 average (and I drive 80% highway and very conservatively). However I was even willing to look past this fact were it not for the absolutely terrible reliability. In the six months I owned the car it cost me over $4000 in repairs! Twice it died on me on the road (once was camping in the woods 3 hrs from home). Bottom line is, only get one if you have a lot of extra money for gas and high priced, frequent repairs.

Looks, supercharger provided enough power for an SUV. Good in the snow with the 4X4. The ladies liked it.

Reliability. Gas. Make the car easier to work on... mechanical bills were at least twice what they were for my honda ( the car i had previously) for the exact same repair.

Still going strong after 8.5 years
By DesignerX

2002 Nissan Xterra SUV XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I'm very happy with the Xterra 138k miles and 8.5 years later. All I've done is regular maintenance (including replacing the timing belt at 105k miles.) Occasionally during the last couple of years I've had an itch for something new(er) or different but it's hard to rationalize giving up the X when it performs without complaints, still looks good and feels just as tight as it did at 65k miles. I do need to get an upholstery shop to fix the headliner, but the seats don't show signs of wear after being a daily driver. This is a followup from my review on 05/18/2007 (same user name).

Build quality, the thing is a tank. The seats are still comfortable after 138k miles.

Most of my minor issues have been resolved on the newer models. I wish Nissan would offer a stretched Xterra (the length of the Frontier crew cab.)

my first new car
By princesspoo

2002 Nissan Xterra SUV XE-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my car since late 2001 and I just hit 90K on the mileage. Considering the last 20K have been in the last 10 months, the car is doing very well. I replaced the tires twice, brake pads once, and had the belts changed recently. I also had the factory recommended 90K service completed. It set me back quite a bit, but considering the car has held up since '01, I'm not complaining. I will probably drive it another year or two before seriously starting to look for a replacement. The exterior paint still looks good after a wash/wax, minus the dings you get from people who park next to you and open their doors too wide.

The backseats that fold down completely flat. I've used my Xterra as a pick-up because of this great feature.

The interior headliner started to sag a while back and it is pretty much falling down except along the sides. I've seen other Xterras on the road with this issue, maybe it's faulty glue. The interior would still be in great condition, except for this. I feel that it detracts a lot from the value.

Everything I need, nothing I don't.
By RacerXterra

2002 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

My wife & I purchased the Xterra to replace a 1991 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4. We've logged about 34,000 miles in 3 years. I LOVED my 4Runner, but the Xterra has proven to be superior in every way. It has been a bulletproof mechanical tank [We took a 2,700+ mile road trip last year with no issues or complaints!]. Mileage here in the Denver Area generally averages 17-18 mpg. I'm easily able to strap just about anything to the roof rack, like a 10 ft. ladder, many queen size mattresses, & even a 13 ft. Christmas tree! Once I purchased a set of A/T tires, snow/ice performance has been unparalleled by any other vehicle I've ever driven. Way to go Nissan, you've made a believer out of me!

The 3.3L V6 is a strong engine when mated to the 5- Speed Manual Gearbox. The versatility of the roof rack continues to impress me. Aftermarket Yakima support abounds! Unparalleled in poor weather!

Backseat entry tends to mildly irritate many of my passengers. Short folks need a running start, tall folks bump their head where the roofline rises. However, all in all, not a big deal.

Best SUV Ever!!
By CUBIES14

2002 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Bought he used in o4 with 34,000 miles on her and just totaled her two weeks agao on and ice covered bridge. Drove her for 6 years and put 105,000 miles on her. NEVER had any problems!!! Replaced the battery at 100,000 along with the break pads and new tires but that's all she ever needed. Would buy another if I could afford the gas!! Loved every min. in her, drove across the country several times in her, i'm talking thousand mile journeys here, and was safe, comfy and happy the whole way! Looking at and Altama or Versa now.

Everything!!

Wish the back seats folded down in a better way! Could never figure out why I needed to take out the bottom cushion.

• SUV