2002 Nissan Xterra SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:
So reliable
By Picky on 11/02/09 10:28 AM (PST)

2002 Nissan Xterra SUV SE S/C 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I have had the Xterra since new and love it. I have had only one mechanical issue and that was the A/C TCA (thermal control amplifier)causing the a/c compressor to kick on and off. I changed it myself. I carry all my sporting goods in the back with plenty of space left over. Backseat passengers have plenty of legroom. The front seats are extremely comfortable for long trips. For those complaining of interior plastic, I use Aerospace 303 on all plastic surfaces and they all look new. The paint has looked great since day one. I upgraded the sound system as stock system was lacking. It is extremely cheap to maintain. Parts are dirt cheap for it.

Missing my Xterra
By moharv on 09/13/09 16:57 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Xterra SUV SE S/C 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl S/C 5M)

Bought this beautiful SUV used with 40k miles on it. Never had a single problem with it. I loved this car. I say loved because someone ran a red light and broadsided me last week. I rolled 1 1/2 times and came to stop on the drivers side. Climbed out of the passenger door without a scratch. The side door beams did their job - you would never have known someone hit me going 40mph.

ol' trusty
By daless on 08/05/09 13:15 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Xterra SUV XE-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this baby new in Sept 01. Other then couple of small issues, this thing is tough an reliable. Put off- road tires on and now ok in snow and mud-the General OEM tires sucked for traction. I have 120,000 on it now and definitely think I will get to 200,000.

Still happy 4 years later
By Chip on 05/20/09 13:47 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Xterra SUV SE S/C 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl S/C 5M)

I bought my XT used in 05. Had 24K on it at the time, and I've since added another 70K. It has been very dependable, and I've only has to deal with general maintenance issues so far. I also find it funny that people are complaining about the fuel mileage. What did you expect? It's a big box sitting on a truck chassis. If you're worried about fuel economy, buy a sedan. I've actually found it to get decent mileage for what it is. There's a ton of space, it tows well, and looks good.

Love my Xterra
By -D on 02/25/09 08:51 AM (PST)

2002 Nissan Xterra SUV SE S/C 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl S/C 5M)

Bought it used 2 years ago w 65k, I am the 3rd owner. Now has 98k, runs very strong. A few maintenance issues that was no big deal= air conditioner recharge due to leaky hose (common on these), a full brake job, new radiator (not expected) and I fouled a plug due to running cheap gas (must use premium at ALL times with the supercharger) so that was my fault. All of these issues in my book are normal wear except the radiator. Bottom line; drives anywhere and runs over anything with no problem. First car I have owned that I can say that I drive it any way I want and it just runs no problem. With the 4x4s get a good set of all terrains and will go through anything. Mud, snow, no problem.

Fun vehicle to drive
By john on 02/16/09 19:09 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Xterra SUV XE S/C 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl S/C 5M)

This is a really good vehicle. I bought it new for my wife in 2001 and she drove it for 5 years and gave it over to me. I have driven a lot of vehicles but this is my favorite. Tough, dependable, versatile. Great in the snow if you add some weight in the back.

Great truck
By Brandyn on 02/06/09 23:13 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Xterra SUV XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

In 07 my grandma bought our XT used. Unfortunately, my grandma passed away in December of 07 and she left me the vehicle. I got my license 2 months ago and I absolutely love my XT, except that the check engine light comes on at random times and the front piece is faded pretty bad. I feel very lucky to get to start out my driving experience with this vehicle and I would recommend it to anyone.

Solid
By Brandon64 on 01/27/09 19:55 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Xterra SUV XE-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased my Xterra in the summer of 01. It has been a reliable and durable truck. It's suffered the scorching summers of Phoenix, Az and the freezing winters of the Rocky Mountains in Colorado and has never left us stranded. All parts still work. With regular maintenance it'll last forever. At 110K still runs strong no big repairs except for a high hose leak in the air conditioner, the power steering pump leaks but was fixed with a $10 additive and the rear main seal (common amongst Nissan trucks) is leaking oil but was fixed with another $10 additive I picked up. Overall been a fantastic vehicle. You can always depend on your Xterra

It's been a ROCK
By kkempskie on 08/31/08 21:09 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Xterra SUV XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

Gotta say this has been a solid truck. Bought new in late 02 and ever since my XT has been very reliable. It's no-nonsense and does what it's supposed to do. Off-roading is a blast when we ride the dunes on the beach and it is a tank in the snow. My 1st set of tires got 50+ on them and 2nd sets of Coopers got 60+. It hauls everything I've needed - dishwashers, plywood, kids, vacay stuff to the brim. Love my XT but may have to part with it soon since I need something that will tow a heavier boat! Great truck, so long as it's properly maintained.

SENORS SPENDER
By JWilliams on 06/13/08 20:07 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

Had a good run with it until 80k then the check engine lights starting glowing bright. O2 and knock sensor failed. Knock sensor lives inside the engine so yeah, big repair bill. All said and done it was a $1200.00 bill to fix two stupid little "make your engine run fun" gadgets. I can out run it on the onramps but, I'm not considering that a big deal. I finally got to where it needed brakes at 75k - I thought that was incredible! All in all, it's been pretty good. Hope to get another 80k out of it. Truck still drives and rides like it did when it was new. No problems outside of what I mentioned earlier