Used 2002 Nissan Xterra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

Good and Bad
By Brian in NY

2002 Nissan Xterra SE S/C 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl S/C 5M)

I love the truck, but I am disappointed with what I have. The design of the interior and the exterior are great, very distinct. But the quality of the Nissan is disappointing. There are so many little things that have gone wrong that you wouldnt expect in todays market. The gas mileage is aweful, but the ride is comfortable on the parkway.

The looks. It is a very distinct SUV.

After 25,000 miles, there are parts of the interior that rattle. Even with the supercharger, the engine still needs to run at a high rpm to get power.

ITS GOOD
By JON

2002 Nissan Xterra XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

EVERYTHING THAT HAS GONE WRONG HAS BEEN SIMPLE LITTLE ITEMS THAT HAVE BEEN IXED QUICKLY WITHOUT REPERCUSSIONS

THE LOOKS ARE GREAT AND IT IS BALANCED REALLY WELL

THIS VERSION NEEDS MORE POWER, KIND OF WIMPY ON THE ACCELERATION

The Intimidator/XTERRA
By Eddie C.

2002 Nissan Xterra SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

This is my second XTERRA and by far the best vehicle I have owned. I bought the XTERRA because it reminded me of the Nissan Patrol I drove when working in Saudi Arabia in 1992-1993. The XTERRA is the intimidator of SUVs, looks tough and is tough. It has very good lines, good performance, and the tighest turning radius...probably second to the military version of the Hummer. I very much like the reliability built into the vehicle...get in and go. My XTERRA served me well during the major snow storm last February in Washington DC...I had a blast plowing through snow drifts and going where other vehicles dare not go.

The computerized, road sensing breaking system...incredible. The four wheel drive system provides full command traction and control. I am impressed with the 4 speed automatic transmision, smooth shifting and very responsive.

Improve fuel ecomony a couple of miles per gallon or install larger fuel tank. I like vehicles with a 400+ mile cruising range.

2002 Xterra
By Jennifer Nagy

2002 Nissan Xterra SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I love my car.

I love the space inside the vehicle.

None

02 Xterra SE 2wd
By mkm325

2002 Nissan Xterra SE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

Looks great and is fun to drive, but a little uncomfortable for long rides. The legroom in the back is cramped and the width of the front seats could stand to be a little wider.

Looks nice! It gets attention on the road! I also love how high up it sits. It is taller than most SUVs, and some pickups. All the added 12V outlets are handy also.

The back seats did not provide much legroom. If you have a carseat and want to use the new LATCH system, it is only offered on the outboard seats -- not in the middle (safest) seat. I would also like to see a remote lock/unlock for the rear door. And the gas mileage -- aagh!