Used 2002 Nissan Xterra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

2002 Nissan Xterra

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

Shirleys Still Smillin
By Shirleys Still Smill

2002 Nissan Xterra XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I love to drive my Xterra.Handles very well.Can't wait to take to the Outter Banks.If I can afford the Fuel.Terrible fuel mileage.

Thisrty machine...
By Chili Palmer

2002 Nissan Xterra SE S/C 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl S/C 5M)

I bought the X new in 2001 - First S/C on the lot. I was impressed with the off-the-line acceleration and overall looks (drastic improvement over previous models). Overall it has been a good vehicle, performed beyond it's means off road (Yes I do own another 4x4 to compare it to...) and has proved reliable in day to day use. I use it to tow a 4,500Lb boat on weekends - No sweat...until I try to pass a gas station. Best mileage to date 16mpg. Average 13mpg. Worst (towing) 9.8mpg. As well, power is great around town but trying to pass on the freeway does not net the same surge in acceleration. I look forward to the 2005's - MORE POWER !

Favorite Features

Supercharger (sometimes least favorite feature too). Looks. Off road ride (Excellent).

Suggested Improvements

Stock Rockford Fosgate system lacks bass response. Considerable brake dive. Doesn't handle payload well - rear sags too easily. Highway acceleration is only fair. MFG quoted fuel mileage is a joke - unless you are drafting a big-rig I don't see how it is possible.

02 X
By HokieX

2002 Nissan Xterra SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

Picked up my Xterra in Aug 03' as a certified used. I have put about 16,000 miles on it since then and have had absolutly no problem with it. Very affordable, low maitenence vehicle. Lots of fun to drive. Rugged truck with the feeling it could go just about anywhere.

Favorite Features

Versatility and function.

Suggested Improvements

I'd like to see more power, maybe Nissan could use the 3.5L instead of that 3.3L. While they're at it I'd like see better fuel economy.

Love My Hot Lava
By heinz57luvr

2002 Nissan Xterra SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

When looking for a 4x4 I saw this Xterra siting on the used car lot and fell in love. I have liked the body style since they first came out. Even thought i love the yellow and silver I opt for what they call Molten Lava. I nicknamed her Hot Lava. It was the only car I test drove or even looked at and bought her that night. I traded in a 1999 Cavalier Z24 which I loved but Hot Lava is slowly winning over my heart. I like all the room but hate the lack of power when passing or taking off from a stand still the one thing I do miss from my Z24. Overall I'm happy with my choice and hope to have many good years together.

Favorite Features

I like the color,6 CD changer and hepa filter. But most of all I love the look of this vehicle. Sporty,fun but most of all I feel safe. It's just the right size for me.

Suggested Improvements

I wish this SUV had better pick-up and I hate the little bit of washer fluid that trickles out when I try to wash the back window.

Too expensive to fill up the tank!
By J&Ms

2002 Nissan Xterra SE S/C 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl S/C 5M)

When I bought my Xterra, I was unaware the of the horrible gas mileage that it got. Typically it will get 12 miles to the gallon and it takes premium fuel to fill up. Here in California, we are approaching $3/gallon. I won't be able to afford the cost of driving it.

Suggested Improvements

Impreve the gas mileage! Can you fill 'er up with regular?