Used 2002 Nissan Xterra SE S/C SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

2002 Nissan Xterra SUV

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

Missing my Xterra
By moharv

2002 Nissan Xterra SUV SE S/C 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl S/C 5M)

Bought this beautiful SUV used with 40k miles on it. Never had a single problem with it. I loved this car. I say loved because someone ran a red light and broadsided me last week. I rolled 1 1/2 times and came to stop on the drivers side. Climbed out of the passenger door without a scratch. The side door beams did their job - you would never have known someone hit me going 40mph.

Favorite Features

The tough look to it. It's not a soccer mom van. Loved the way no curb stood in my way.

Suggested Improvements

They've already been made - side air bags for everyone. I would also like to see air bags and shoulder harnesses for the back seat.

Problems
By ANDY

2002 Nissan Xterra SUV SE S/C 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl S/C 5M)

In 2002 I bought new Nissan Xterra hoping that this car will be reliable. I bought an extended warranty to protect myself from any potential problems. Just before the warranty expired I have noticed some intermittent noise coming from the engine, I went to the dealer to have it check but they did not hear any unusual noises. Of course after my warranty expire the noise became louder and then the dealer diagnosed a manifold issue, they did not care that I was there before with the some issues (before the warranty expired), so the cost of repair was over $800 dollars. One month later my torsion bar broke and that was another $800 (with front shocks replaced), now I have found out that I need

Best Nissan I ever owned!
By Mav63

2002 Nissan Xterra SUV SE S/C 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl S/C 5M)

I've had the X for 4 years now and couldn't be more pleased with it. The seats are very comfortable on long drives. The Supercharger gives it enough oomph to push you back in your seat. The paint has held up extremely well. People who have driven it are surprised on how nice it handles and how straight it drives. It is a bit rough, but what do you expect? I haven't had any problems mechanically. I replaced the stock stereo with aftermarket since stock sounds, well, stock! I take it in for service religiously and the service dept is always surprised how clean and new it still looks. I detail it A LOT! Just like they say, "everything you need, nothing you don't!"

Favorite Features

The S/C power when I need to pass, the comfort of the seats, the nice cargo space, the power jacks everywhere, the ease of dismantling for changing out the stereo and speakers.

Suggested Improvements

Replace the ugly A/C knobs. Make the emergency brake release easier to find.

Thisrty machine...
By Chili Palmer

2002 Nissan Xterra SUV SE S/C 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl S/C 5M)

I bought the X new in 2001 - First S/C on the lot. I was impressed with the off-the-line acceleration and overall looks (drastic improvement over previous models). Overall it has been a good vehicle, performed beyond it's means off road (Yes I do own another 4x4 to compare it to...) and has proved reliable in day to day use. I use it to tow a 4,500Lb boat on weekends - No sweat...until I try to pass a gas station. Best mileage to date 16mpg. Average 13mpg. Worst (towing) 9.8mpg. As well, power is great around town but trying to pass on the freeway does not net the same surge in acceleration. I look forward to the 2005's - MORE POWER !

Favorite Features

Supercharger (sometimes least favorite feature too). Looks. Off road ride (Excellent).

Suggested Improvements

Stock Rockford Fosgate system lacks bass response. Considerable brake dive. Doesn't handle payload well - rear sags too easily. Highway acceleration is only fair. MFG quoted fuel mileage is a joke - unless you are drafting a big-rig I don't see how it is possible.

Too expensive to fill up the tank!
By J&Ms

2002 Nissan Xterra SUV SE S/C 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl S/C 5M)

When I bought my Xterra, I was unaware the of the horrible gas mileage that it got. Typically it will get 12 miles to the gallon and it takes premium fuel to fill up. Here in California, we are approaching $3/gallon. I won't be able to afford the cost of driving it.

Suggested Improvements

Impreve the gas mileage! Can you fill 'er up with regular?