2002 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:
Missing my Xterra
By moharv on 09/13/09 16:57 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Xterra SE S/C 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl S/C 5M)

Bought this beautiful SUV used with 40k miles on it. Never had a single problem with it. I loved this car. I say loved because someone ran a red light and broadsided me last week. I rolled 1 1/2 times and came to stop on the drivers side. Climbed out of the passenger door without a scratch. The side door beams did their job - you would never have known someone hit me going 40mph.

Problems
By ANDY on 04/30/08 16:32 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Xterra SE S/C 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl S/C 5M)

In 2002 I bought new Nissan Xterra hoping that this car will be reliable. I bought an extended warranty to protect myself from any potential problems. Just before the warranty expired I have noticed some intermittent noise coming from the engine, I went to the dealer to have it check but they did not hear any unusual noises. Of course after my warranty expire the noise became louder and then the dealer diagnosed a manifold issue, they did not care that I was there before with the some issues (before the warranty expired), so the cost of repair was over $800 dollars. One month later my torsion bar broke and that was another $800 (with front shocks replaced), now I have found out that I need

Best Nissan I ever owned!
By Mav63 on 04/07/07 19:19 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Xterra SE S/C 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl S/C 5M)

I've had the X for 4 years now and couldn't be more pleased with it. The seats are very comfortable on long drives. The Supercharger gives it enough oomph to push you back in your seat. The paint has held up extremely well. People who have driven it are surprised on how nice it handles and how straight it drives. It is a bit rough, but what do you expect? I haven't had any problems mechanically. I replaced the stock stereo with aftermarket since stock sounds, well, stock! I take it in for service religiously and the service dept is always surprised how clean and new it still looks. I detail it A LOT! Just like they say, "everything you need, nothing you don't!"

Thisrty machine...
By Chili Palmer on 06/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Xterra SE S/C 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl S/C 5M)

I bought the X new in 2001 - First S/C on the lot. I was impressed with the off-the-line acceleration and overall looks (drastic improvement over previous models). Overall it has been a good vehicle, performed beyond it's means off road (Yes I do own another 4x4 to compare it to...) and has proved reliable in day to day use. I use it to tow a 4,500Lb boat on weekends - No sweat...until I try to pass a gas station. Best mileage to date 16mpg. Average 13mpg. Worst (towing) 9.8mpg. As well, power is great around town but trying to pass on the freeway does not net the same surge in acceleration. I look forward to the 2005's - MORE POWER !

Too expensive to fill up the tank!
By J&Ms on 02/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Nissan Xterra SE S/C 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl S/C 5M)

When I bought my Xterra, I was unaware the of the horrible gas mileage that it got. Typically it will get 12 miles to the gallon and it takes premium fuel to fill up. Here in California, we are approaching $3/gallon. I won't be able to afford the cost of driving it.

Gas pigs need love too
By damage case on 04/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Xterra SE S/C 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl S/C 5M)

My 2002 Molten Lava Xterra SC-SE is a cool ride. I test drove an XE and it was quite sluggish compared to the SC. Also, the 17" wheels on the SC really improve an already good look. Spend the extra money and get the SC. BTW, you don't have to use premium fuel in the SC - it is just recommended for maximum performance. Which is important, considering its high (for its size) gas consumption. Also, get the custom neoprene seat covers - great look, and otherwise the interior cloth is a dirt and dog hair magnet.

xterra
By james boehm on 09/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Xterra SE S/C 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl S/C 5M)

Very impressive handling...quiet...smooth...all around great vehicle!

New to Nissan world
By aussikolbe on 04/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Xterra SE S/C 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl S/C 5M)

Just purchased Xterra 2 weeks ago. Love it! Chose over Ford Escape(appearence) I thought I liked my Durango but this makes the Durango drive like a station wagon. Alot of fun to drive. Milliage could be better. Would like to have motorized sunroof and leather but things like this keep the price very resonable. Made a very good choice.

Molten Lava Supercharger
By Jarrod on 04/07/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Nissan Xterra SE S/C 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl S/C 5M)

Smoother ride than I thought it would be. Best looking SUV in my opinion. Seats look cheap, but are sporty and very comfortable. Plenty of room and back seat passengers can finally see the road as well as the front passengers can see it. Supercharged power is impressive. I was taking it easy on the hwy and looked down and was surprisingly driving at 80 mph.