Used 2002 Nissan Xterra SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

2002 Nissan Xterra

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

Most Helpful|
Sluggish '02 XTerra
By SeaDweller

2002 Nissan Xterra SE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

Vehicle looks great and is fun to drive. The Solar Yellow turns alot of heads as well! It is perfect for my lifestyle with the real-truck features I need with relative comfort for its class. Not much pep, however. It is sluggish on acceleration.

Favorite Features

12V outlets, roof rack, wet-gear basket, high clearance, rugged look, solid build, and stadium seating in rear.

Suggested Improvements

Acceleration performance is less than average. Gas mileage is horrible - max has been 16mpg on Hwy (Rated 16-19). No pep for passing and sluggish on take off.

Family of Xterras
By tex500

2002 Nissan Xterra SE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

purchased this 2002 Xterra, 11 months after purchasing the previous years model for my wife. I have driven many miles in this Xterra, shooting photos at race tracks across America. It has has been down some of the roughest roads, and not skipped a beat. The (e)Xterior, when washed, looks as good as the day I drove it off the lot. I even use it to pull a cargo trailer at times. Before the trailer, we amazed ourselves at how much equipment we could fit in the back with the seats folded down. Highway mileage is about 18-19 mpg. Not what I expected when I bought the first Xterra, but actually an improvement over the 2001 model.

Favorite Features

The raised rear seats, and rounded headlights (vs rectangle in 2000-2001).

Suggested Improvements

My driver's door started making a whistling sound at higher speeds (80 + mph when air somehow gets through). The dealer said he would fix this under warranty, but I haven't been by, as I don't usually drive at that speed.

My Xterra
By Kaykamaka

2002 Nissan Xterra SE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I love my Xterra, but am thinking of trading it in for a new car after our recent ice storm. I know that all cars have problems on ice, but I could not even get traction in my driveway. I felt very unsafe in it even after the roads cleared a little. The noise from the road is bothersome while on highway. Should come equipped with rainguards on the window. Basic interior, awesome exterior. Really sporty and fun to drive. Hard to clean interior for messy drivers (like me).

Favorite Features

The exterior look, how high you sit, stadium seating in backseat, ample cargo room, temp. display and dimming on rearview mirror.

Suggested Improvements

Something to limit road noise (wind, etc).

AN SUV that is really an SUV
By rzrbck1

2002 Nissan Xterra SE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

While primarily driven by my wife, I have had the opportunity to spend 8 weeks as the primary driver. The vehicle looks great, is made well, and has a fantastic audio system. Its an SUV in the truest form of an SUV. This vehicle is not for everyone, but we have enjoyed it for what it is. A truck based...SUV.

Favorite Features

Our children really like the "stadium seating". Build quality is excellent and the audio system is one of the best. The service at the local dealer where the vehicle was purchased has been second to none.

Suggested Improvements

Improved fit and finish in the interior. Several interior pieces have been replaced due to discoloration and fading.

02 Xterra SE 2wd
By mkm325

2002 Nissan Xterra SE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

Looks great and is fun to drive, but a little uncomfortable for long rides. The legroom in the back is cramped and the width of the front seats could stand to be a little wider.

Favorite Features

Looks nice! It gets attention on the road! I also love how high up it sits. It is taller than most SUVs, and some pickups. All the added 12V outlets are handy also.

Suggested Improvements

The back seats did not provide much legroom. If you have a carseat and want to use the new LATCH system, it is only offered on the outboard seats -- not in the middle (safest) seat. I would also like to see a remote lock/unlock for the rear door. And the gas mileage -- aagh!