Used 2002 Nissan Xterra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

2002 Nissan Xterra

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

Best thing since wrestling
By sanwich

2002 Nissan Xterra XE-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Traded my Cobalt for one of these little over 4 months ago, I love it!, gas could be better but 145 miles to a half a tank of gas isnt too bad considering in my cobalt I got 205 or 225 to a half. The bad, Headliners are famous for coming loose. All the grey plastics on the bumpers, headlights, grill, roof rack, side step fade with time which is expected Stock radio unit eats CDs when too hot. The good, Engine runs strong (Had a rebuild to the cooling/air systems at 103k I bought it with 111k (I do believe this is a gremlin with these too) It looks weird which makes it awesome, This rig goes Everywhere I take it, rocks, steep hill, mud, river beds NO problems =D

Favorite Features

Roof rack, Tow hitch, fold down/ removable back seats.. if you want it to lay flat you have to leave the bottom of the seats at home. No biggie.

Suggested Improvements

Better glue/foam on headliners, Better/ updated head unit

Tough Rig!
By hobosix

2002 Nissan Xterra SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our 2002 Xterra SE (4x4) new in 2002. So far we have logged 150k on it and outside of normal maintenance, the only thing we have had to replace was a O2 sensor. This little rig has been an absolute joy to own/drive. To say it was "Over Built" is absolutely correct. Built with the same transmission used in European 3/4 ton trucks as well as the rigid frame under it makes it as tough as you'll need. I will not hesitate to drive this vehicle on to the 200K mark. Well done Nissan.

Favorite Features

Rigid frame, perfect engine/transmission combination, interior room with available accessories (tent, etc.)

Suggested Improvements

More power would be nice, less wind noise on upper roof air dam.

I LOVE my 2002 Xterra!
By wonder_woman

2002 Nissan Xterra XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I love my xterra! I would fully recommend this suv to anyone. I bought mine used in 2012 with 140k miles on it (highway miles). I have put over 10,000 on it since and we're still going strong. When I purchased the vehicle I had it tuned up and old hoses replaced, but only because I was unsure of how long how it had been since it was serviced, since it was pre-owned. The only thing I could complain about is the poor gas mileage that comes with driving any SUV; however, it gets better gas mileage than most other SUV's i've driven. Over all I am happy with my xterra's performance and would fully recommend it to anyone!

Favorite Features

Favorite features would be the amount of power sockets in the car. I am able to plug in my iPod, cell phone and GPS with no problem. I also love the option of keyless entry OR you can unlock all the car doors by inserting the key into the door and turning twice. Also the car is small on the outside, but very roomy on the inside.

Suggested Improvements

The only improvement I could think of would be gas mileage.

11 Years old and Still Squeek Free
By cgrueber

2002 Nissan Xterra SE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Just bought this car Feb. with 105K miles on it. Had to change the timming belt and water pump as the previous owner had not changed these items. I could not ask for a better small SUV. It is a live axle 2wd truck, so the ride is rough but not a single piece of plastic in the vehicle makes noise. The cost to purchase these is fairly low due to most people not wanting to change the timming belt. Don't be affraid if you can do minor car repairs, this one is a breeze. Great car i would buy another in a heart beat. Uses a little more gas then expected for a V6 but it is still not bad

Favorite Features

High Stance, great exterior look, even in the 2wd version it still feels and looks like the 4wd minus the parts that tend to wear out over time.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel mileage needs improvement for a V6, but i knew what i was getting into before i bought the car. Cann't say enough about Sea-Foaming you gas tank and engine. It made a world of difference.

Was a great vehicle until it reached over 100K miles
By xterra02sc

2002 Nissan Xterra SE S/C 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl S/C 5M)

I really loved driving my SE S/C 4WD 2002, and it was mostly problem-free except for last couple of years. One owner vehicle. Problems accelerated dramatically after 100K miles.

Favorite Features

Favorite features: Manual transmission. Lots of get up n' go (until supercharger problems started), nice looking black interior, quality exterior paint, the standard rims with the s/c model looked really cool but not too flashy. I had purchased the interior bike stand and used it a lot in the first several years. Really cool feature when traveling with 2 bicycles (keeps them secure). Interior (except headliner) held up very well over 11 years.

Suggested Improvements

I replaced more tires on this vehicle than any other car I've owned (costly) despite being used for street use only. The supercharger failed in FIRST couple of years but was under warranty; but even after warranty replacement the vehicle never felt as nimble & quick upon acceleration. After 100K miles the mass air sensor failed. Also kept popping out of 3rd gear constantly in last couple of years (transmission problems). Head gasket blew in last year of ownership. Interior headliner failed miserably; it fell down. Car was maintained well and garaged over lifetime but enough was enough. Became a money pit.