2002 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:
Best thing since wrestling
By sanwich on 06/16/14 01:12 AM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Xterra XE-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Traded my Cobalt for one of these little over 4 months ago, I love it!, gas could be better but 145 miles to a half a tank of gas isnt too bad considering in my cobalt I got 205 or 225 to a half. The bad, Headliners are famous for coming loose. All the grey plastics on the bumpers, headlights, grill, roof rack, side step fade with time which is expected Stock radio unit eats CDs when too hot. The good, Engine runs strong (Had a rebuild to the cooling/air systems at 103k I bought it with 111k (I do believe this is a gremlin with these too) It looks weird which makes it awesome, This rig goes Everywhere I take it, rocks, steep hill, mud, river beds NO problems =D

Tough Rig!
By hobosix on 09/27/13 11:40 AM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Xterra SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our 2002 Xterra SE (4x4) new in 2002. So far we have logged 150k on it and outside of normal maintenance, the only thing we have had to replace was a O2 sensor. This little rig has been an absolute joy to own/drive. To say it was "Over Built" is absolutely correct. Built with the same transmission used in European 3/4 ton trucks as well as the rigid frame under it makes it as tough as you'll need. I will not hesitate to drive this vehicle on to the 200K mark. Well done Nissan.

I LOVE my 2002 Xterra!
By wonder_woman on 08/07/13 13:54 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Xterra XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I love my xterra! I would fully recommend this suv to anyone. I bought mine used in 2012 with 140k miles on it (highway miles). I have put over 10,000 on it since and we're still going strong. When I purchased the vehicle I had it tuned up and old hoses replaced, but only because I was unsure of how long how it had been since it was serviced, since it was pre-owned. The only thing I could complain about is the poor gas mileage that comes with driving any SUV; however, it gets better gas mileage than most other SUV's i've driven. Over all I am happy with my xterra's performance and would fully recommend it to anyone!

11 Years old and Still Squeek Free
By cgrueber on 05/03/13 10:36 AM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Xterra SE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Just bought this car Feb. with 105K miles on it. Had to change the timming belt and water pump as the previous owner had not changed these items. I could not ask for a better small SUV. It is a live axle 2wd truck, so the ride is rough but not a single piece of plastic in the vehicle makes noise. The cost to purchase these is fairly low due to most people not wanting to change the timming belt. Don't be affraid if you can do minor car repairs, this one is a breeze. Great car i would buy another in a heart beat. Uses a little more gas then expected for a V6 but it is still not bad

Was a great vehicle until it reached over 100K miles
By xterra02sc on 02/25/13 16:29 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Xterra SE S/C 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl S/C 5M)

I really loved driving my SE S/C 4WD 2002, and it was mostly problem-free except for last couple of years. One owner vehicle. Problems accelerated dramatically after 100K miles.

Looks good... rides bad
By quag_grenade on 09/30/11 16:52 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Xterra SE S/C 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl S/C 5M)

I bought the xterra with high hopes. I fell in love with its looks and was hooked. I knew going into it that it would get bad mpg and require premium gas but even then was surprised. I had heard 18-21 mpg or so... i was lucky if I got 15 average (and I drive 80% highway and very conservatively). However I was even willing to look past this fact were it not for the absolutely terrible reliability. In the six months I owned the car it cost me over $4000 in repairs! Twice it died on me on the road (once was camping in the woods 3 hrs from home). Bottom line is, only get one if you have a lot of extra money for gas and high priced, frequent repairs.

Still going strong after 8.5 years
By DesignerX on 09/19/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Xterra XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I'm very happy with the Xterra 138k miles and 8.5 years later. All I've done is regular maintenance (including replacing the timing belt at 105k miles.) Occasionally during the last couple of years I've had an itch for something new(er) or different but it's hard to rationalize giving up the X when it performs without complaints, still looks good and feels just as tight as it did at 65k miles. I do need to get an upholstery shop to fix the headliner, but the seats don't show signs of wear after being a daily driver. This is a followup from my review on 05/18/2007 (same user name).

my first new car
By princesspoo on 04/20/10 11:40 AM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Xterra XE-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my car since late 2001 and I just hit 90K on the mileage. Considering the last 20K have been in the last 10 months, the car is doing very well. I replaced the tires twice, brake pads once, and had the belts changed recently. I also had the factory recommended 90K service completed. It set me back quite a bit, but considering the car has held up since '01, I'm not complaining. I will probably drive it another year or two before seriously starting to look for a replacement. The exterior paint still looks good after a wash/wax, minus the dings you get from people who park next to you and open their doors too wide.

Everything I need, nothing I don't.
By RacerXterra on 03/04/10 11:49 AM (PST)

2002 Nissan Xterra SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

My wife & I purchased the Xterra to replace a 1991 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4. We've logged about 34,000 miles in 3 years. I LOVED my 4Runner, but the Xterra has proven to be superior in every way. It has been a bulletproof mechanical tank [We took a 2,700+ mile road trip last year with no issues or complaints!]. Mileage here in the Denver Area generally averages 17-18 mpg. I'm easily able to strap just about anything to the roof rack, like a 10 ft. ladder, many queen size mattresses, & even a 13 ft. Christmas tree! Once I purchased a set of A/T tires, snow/ice performance has been unparalleled by any other vehicle I've ever driven. Way to go Nissan, you've made a believer out of me!

Best SUV Ever!!
By CUBIES14 on 01/13/10 18:52 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Xterra SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Bought he used in o4 with 34,000 miles on her and just totaled her two weeks agao on and ice covered bridge. Drove her for 6 years and put 105,000 miles on her. NEVER had any problems!!! Replaced the battery at 100,000 along with the break pads and new tires but that's all she ever needed. Would buy another if I could afford the gas!! Loved every min. in her, drove across the country several times in her, i'm talking thousand mile journeys here, and was safe, comfy and happy the whole way! Looking at and Altama or Versa now.