Incredible vehicle
By Lindso on
2001 Nissan Xterra XE-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)
I've owned the Xterra for over 5 years at this point, bought it when it had 30,000mi. The odometer just passed the 130,000mi mark and the vehicle is still in outstanding shape. The only oddball thing I've had to replace is a bearing that supports the two-piece drive shaft, but I blame it on all the mud and water I've intentionally not avoided. I couldn't afford the insurance for 4WD when I bought it, but I certainly don't regret going with the 2WD- I've pushed this vehicle to the limit consistently on and off road, irresponsibly run the RPM's above 4K daily just to listen to the aftermarket parts work, and still, with typical maintenance (oil changes, trans flush), the X still runs strong.
Favorite Features
The "stadium seating" so those in the back can see the road, turning radius, 1st and 2nd gear acceleration, adjustable roof rack, torsion bars that give additional 2' of lift in the front upon adjustment (makes it easier to park in weird places at concerts and sporting events).
Suggested Improvements
For such a small V6 there sure isn't a lot of room under the hood, so garage mechanics with thick arms can expect some frustration. Highway power also lacks, especially up hills (I live >5000 feet above sea level and travel higher). Cold air intake/exhaust helped A LOT if you have the spare $.