Used 2001 Nissan Xterra SUV Consumer Reviews - 79 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Nissan Xterra SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

Still going strong
By DavidH

2001 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this vehicle brand new in '01 - a few minor issues, all taken care of under warranty. Had it in Alaska for 4 years - terrific in the snow, even better with winter tires. Drove straight from Alaska to Georgia - no problems with comfort or handling. Currently have around 53K miles on it, only maintenance has been regular oil changes. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone.

Steering wheel radio controls, stadium- style seating of backseat, rugged looks, good sound system.

Gas mileage (we all know), sunroof should be a sliding type, better acceleration.

good vehicle less the A/C
By sweetwood

2001 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I bought it new w/ 7 miles and it was the 1st new car I ever bought. So far it has given me no problems with the exception of the driver side window going up very slowly. Pushing the window forward fixes it until you bring it down again. My A/C went out (high side pressure line) and this is VERY common on the xterras and actually pisses me off. When I went to the dealership the girl in front of me purchased the same part and when I was in line paying a guy walked by and said "oh, you must drive an Xterra" If it's that common issue a recall. Mileage is okay and I can actually tow a little more than expected. 103k miles and I'll drive it till she dies. hopefully 300k!

A/C recall Stronger engine, which the newer ones have and you don't have to mess with a supercharger (more maintenance/less reliability) 5 speed auto for better mileage git rid of the 94 mph governor

Great SUV
By Xterra

2001 Nissan Xterra SUV XE-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I've been driving my Xterra for 5 years now without 1 problem. It's a fun car to drive, handles well in all weather, and is great for long trips. Gas mileage on the highway is acceptable, not as good for street driving. I feel save in it. We've been rear ended twice and both times the other car was in much worse shape than the Xterra. I'd buy another one.

excellent car
By Moawieh A Abu-hatoum

2001 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

have been driving nothing but Nissan since 1994, had four Nissan since then,i still have two of them now a Maxima, and an Exterra, this small SUV is a very good tough car.

Powerfull

Make it a little biger from the inside.

2001 XTERRA - I Like it!
By Richard C.

2001 Nissan Xterra SUV XE-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

Plain Macho SUV. No frills, just clean practical design. Very reliable so far. Substantial power with V6, but needs a 6th speed for overdrive. 3000 RPM at 65 is too costly with fuel. But around the city it is fun and peppy to drive. Good value for the buck overall. But won't impress those yuppie friends of yours, my kids really like it though. Hell with the yuppie SUVs, enjoy it yourself with your family and all their loaded gear. I'd buy another new XTERRA if gas wasn't going up so much these days. RLC

Roomy interior. Nice looking exterior (except front grill). Feels tough like a truck with rear wheel drive simplicity and reliability.

6th forward speed in manual transmission. Better looking dash. More comfortable seats. Better looking front grill. Painted bumpers instead of gray/black plastic. 2005 solves most of my complaints I am sure.