2001 Nissan Xterra SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:
first review
By fussner on 01/31/10 23:04 PM (PST)

2001 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I have a 5 speed and am overall very happy about my purchase, ive put 2,000 miles on it in a month with many many more to go. The rpms on the 5 spd. Manual seem high. Maybe a 6th gear overdrive would help gas mileage. Other than that I'm averaging 300 miles to the tank and I love driving my xterra

A Note on Safety
By Jamie on 05/25/09 13:14 PM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

Best vehicle my wife and I ever bought. Extremely versatile for trips, vacations, camping, light towing but still practical enough for everyday use. I even hauled lumber on the roof- rack with no probelms. UNFORTUNATELY my wife was rear-ended in our last week! She left the highway sideways, went airborne and flipped three times...completely crushing the front and rear, but the seating areas both front and back were not harmed and she walked away without...well, one tiny scuff on her leg from the steering wheel. It kept her safe and we are now looking for a replacement. We love the X-terra

Cost-wise - best vehicle I've ever owned
By Nancy on 01/20/08 20:02 PM (PST)

2001 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

No, it's not the most comfortable but it's not a luxury vehicle. When I paid it off 2 yrs ago, I knew I wanted to keep it for another 2 or 3 yrs and so I put $2100 in it to get a/c fixed, tune-up and timing belt replaced. Other than that all I've ever replaced was a battery, tires and brakes.

Florida ride
By angie on 11/01/07 13:54 PM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned quite a few cars and trucks, but when I purchased this, I fell in love. Everyone says always trade before the miles get too large, but I don't have any desire to trade in. I will probably drive it till it falls apart, and an 80% chance of getting the exact make and model in the future. I love the feeling of being up high and seeing out, I love the interior. For the year of my vehicle, I am glad to say there are no paint discrepancies or rust. Everything in mine is still original, and it has never been touched up or painted.

Xterra is a great SUV
By Caroline on 11/21/06 06:16 AM (PST)

2001 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I've had my Xterra rear-ended 3 times in 6 years and have never had any damage done to my car (granted all less than 5 miles an hour) but the same can't be said for the cars that hit me!

good vehicle less the A/C
By sweetwood on 08/09/06 00:41 AM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I bought it new w/ 7 miles and it was the 1st new car I ever bought. So far it has given me no problems with the exception of the driver side window going up very slowly. Pushing the window forward fixes it until you bring it down again. My A/C went out (high side pressure line) and this is VERY common on the xterras and actually pisses me off. When I went to the dealership the girl in front of me purchased the same part and when I was in line paying a guy walked by and said "oh, you must drive an Xterra" If it's that common issue a recall. Mileage is okay and I can actually tow a little more than expected. 103k miles and I'll drive it till she dies. hopefully 300k!

excellent car
By Moawieh A Abu-hatoum on 09/18/05 22:32 PM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

have been driving nothing but Nissan since 1994, had four Nissan since then,i still have two of them now a Maxima, and an Exterra, this small SUV is a very good tough car.

Awesome Car!!!
By John F. on 05/29/05 00:17 AM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

This is the perfect first car for anyone. The interior is not the nicest, but with a teen, that's usually not a problem. The engine could be improved but it's enough for most people. You can't go wrong with a Nissan.

Xterra problems
By showcode on 05/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

At first I was thrilled, bought it new. But at 37000 all four automatic windows quit working and nissan said it was out of warranty by 1,000 miles so I was stuck paying for them. At 42000 miles the suspension became veryrough and after several trips to the mechanic still cant be fixed. Now at 50000 miles the air conditioning died and the back window wiper quit working. I'm trading in the end of this month for a toyota.

good all rounder
By webster on 01/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

vehicle has been reliable with the exception of the window motors. i have replaced 3 of the 4. i am willing the last one to fail prior to the warranty running out. fuel mileage is dismal, acceleration is poor, sunroof is useless, and ride over bumps is awful. then again, it is a true SUV based off a truck, not a car dressed as an SUV. other than these few shortcomings and problems, the truck has been easy to live with.