Used 2001 Nissan Xterra SE SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

2001 Nissan Xterra SUV

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

first review
By fussner

2001 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I have a 5 speed and am overall very happy about my purchase, ive put 2,000 miles on it in a month with many many more to go. The rpms on the 5 spd. Manual seem high. Maybe a 6th gear overdrive would help gas mileage. Other than that I'm averaging 300 miles to the tank and I love driving my xterra

Favorite Features

roof rack, design, space, turning radius, sound system

Suggested Improvements

MPG please Nissan its underpowered 3.3l could crank out a few more miles to the gallon, and possibly a 6 speed

A Note on Safety
By Jamie

2001 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

Best vehicle my wife and I ever bought. Extremely versatile for trips, vacations, camping, light towing but still practical enough for everyday use. I even hauled lumber on the roof- rack with no probelms. UNFORTUNATELY my wife was rear-ended in our last week! She left the highway sideways, went airborne and flipped three times...completely crushing the front and rear, but the seating areas both front and back were not harmed and she walked away without...well, one tiny scuff on her leg from the steering wheel. It kept her safe and we are now looking for a replacement. We love the X-terra

Favorite Features

Looks, tough-adjustable racks, versatility, turn-radius (on a dime)

Suggested Improvements

Better air-conditioning, more leg room for driver, mileage (what doesn't need that?)

Cost-wise - best vehicle I've ever owned
By Nancy

2001 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

No, it's not the most comfortable but it's not a luxury vehicle. When I paid it off 2 yrs ago, I knew I wanted to keep it for another 2 or 3 yrs and so I put $2100 in it to get a/c fixed, tune-up and timing belt replaced. Other than that all I've ever replaced was a battery, tires and brakes.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage. Checked out the 2008s and they don't get any better mileage. Need to update the style as well.

Florida ride
By angie

2001 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned quite a few cars and trucks, but when I purchased this, I fell in love. Everyone says always trade before the miles get too large, but I don't have any desire to trade in. I will probably drive it till it falls apart, and an 80% chance of getting the exact make and model in the future. I love the feeling of being up high and seeing out, I love the interior. For the year of my vehicle, I am glad to say there are no paint discrepancies or rust. Everything in mine is still original, and it has never been touched up or painted.

Favorite Features

Dashboard, pockets between front seats, driveability.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I would like changed, is dashboard trim (where paint tends to chip, on gray color) and the most improvement I would love to see is a different paint on bumpers, after several years, they fade to a dull gray even with protectant, it will not take.

Xterra is a great SUV
By Caroline

2001 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I've had my Xterra rear-ended 3 times in 6 years and have never had any damage done to my car (granted all less than 5 miles an hour) but the same can't be said for the cars that hit me!

Favorite Features

CD Player

Suggested Improvements

Better Air conditioner settings. Better power windows.