2000 Nissan Xterra Consumer Review: My 2000 Xterra SE 3.3 liter V6

2000 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Review

SE 4dr SUV (3.3L V6 4x4 5-speed Manual)

My 2000 Xterra SE 3.3 liter V6
By jerrymax on

2000 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this car almost two years ago and have put 15,000 miles on it. It is great in snow and ice in 4 wheel drive mode. Easy to shift from 2 to 4 wheel drive system. The 3.3 liter V6 is adequate, not fast, but you don't get an SUV for speed. Valve gaskets had to be replaced at 154K. Only complaints; no dashboard clock and dashboard instruments are very dark. On a sunny day if you're wearing sunglasses you can't read them unless dashboard lights are turned on. Vehicle is very rugged. I actually think this 1st generation Xterra looks nicer than the 2nd generation. 4 full doors and great visibility make it more practical than the FJ Cruiser. I would highly recommend this vehicle.

Favorite Features

Roof rack is great. Interior (and exterior) is somewhat narrow but that is considered an advantage in off-roading when you need to fit between two objects. Ride is comfortable for a truck-based SUV. This is truly a 'go anywhere' machine, really designed for off-road travel. That odd hump on the tailgate is for the standard first aid kit that comes with the Xterra. Dimensions are the same as for 2nd generation Xterra except for 2nd gen being 2.5 inches wider. PS --- My Xterra has an automatic tranni but they didn't offer that option on this site, as they listed only manni-trannis.

Suggested Improvements

I have no use for the sporty "sun screen" [or whatever they call it] on the roof. It doesn't really have a function since it doesn't actually open up like a true sun roof but at high speed it flutters around and makes an irritating noise. Get a solid metal roof if at all possible. Put in a dashboard clock. Nissan advertises the Xterra as having "everything you need, nothing you don't." Well, guess what, I need a clock on the dashboard. Gas cap is on right (wrong) side of vehicle, which is inconvenient since you have to exit vehicle and walk to opposite side to pump gas. But this was corrected in 2nd generation Xterra which now has gas cap on left side.