2000 Nissan Xterra Consumer Review: Engine Issues

2000 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Review

Engine Issues
By DPB on

2000 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV

I am glad that Nissan no longer uses this V6 engine when they introduced the 2005 model. My engine problems began at 65 to 70k miles. I had to replace the Knock sensor that is located deep inside the block. The dealer wanted $1200 to replace; I used a non-dealer where the cost to repair in the book understates the labor hours. The timing belt won't last for 105K miles; they now recommend every 60k that costs another several hundred dollars. Thank god my exhaust manifolds have held up even though my dealer said they needed to be replaced for $1200 (other mechanics said they were ok.) Nissan uses a "plastic" bolt on the ac compressor sprocket. Mine eventually "popped" off.

I am using this space for more engine complaints: This sprocket also holds the belt for the radiator fan. I had to replace the water pump. If the water pump is to be replaced, go ahead and have the timing belt replaced; it will save you money.

The engine developed a metallic ringing noise when you accelerated. Adding a washer to tighten the bolt on the AC sprocket eliminated this noise. I have a noise eminating from the dash area when you want to accelerate uphill. You can hear the AC compressor coming on and off now. Back to the shop!

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review