2000 Nissan Xterra SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:
Xterra from my perspective
By Holiday on 11/18/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4dr SUV

I love my Xterra. It is extremely comfortable, it is stylish and a good cruising car. The power isn't that great for a V6. I have had multiple problems with the car and am a little worried as to it's future reliability.

Perfect SUV
By Mr. Hill on 11/14/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4dr SUV

The most surprising element about the Xterra is the smooth ride. Most SUV's can be bumpy but Nissan builds the Xterra with rubber mounts around the frame and what a difference that makes. The Xterra is high up, higher than the Grand Cherokee and the standard runner boards makes it feel and look more rugged.

Bad Start
By Mrdegu on 10/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Xterra SUV XE V6 4dr SUV 4WD

This thing was trouble as soon as i got it. I had maybe 5K on it when the A/C compressor goes on me. Little things in the car were breaking rather easily, such as the handle to move the angle of the seat. The distributor cap craked on me at 13K and then the distributor then went 2k after that. I was left stranded on the highway twice because of this. The 4wd would not work properly all the time. The dealership was not very helpfull either. Over all i had a very bad experience with the truck, the dealership and Nissan all together....i will never buy Nissan again.

good price needs comfort
By Keith O on 10/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

Rides like a truck, seats are uncomfortable. Poor fuel milage for such a weak engine. "ABS" & "BRAKE" light come on occasionally. Dealer insists that there is nothing they can do unless light is "on" when they check it. Try getting that light to come on during scheduled maintenence. Rugged good looks on the outside but lacks ride comfort inside and out.

Time has made me appreciate the quality
By hmt on 10/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Xterra SUV XE V6 4dr SUV 4WD

I was initially not too impressed with my purchase. However, after having it over 2 years, I have come to appreicate and like this extremely reliable, if not slightly underpowered, SUV.

What SUVs were meant to be
By XterraOwner on 10/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Xterra SUV XE V6 4dr SUV 4WD

The Xterra has been an excellent truck. I expected a reliable, well-built vehicle, and that's what I got. It is great both on and off road; especially great in the snow. Needs a little more top end on the manual transmission, but great low-end power. I highly recommend this truck for anyone looking for a reasonably priced, well- performing SUV.

What SUVs were meant to be
By xterraowner on 10/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

Decent
By Jason Fritz on 07/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Xterra SUV XE V6 4dr SUV

I got bored with this truck fast. It's cool looking, and can take you off road, but don't expect anything to happen when you step on the gas.

Good, but one major mechanical issue
By Denton, TX on 07/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Xterra SUV XE V6 4dr SUV

Good overall, but I've been recently slapped with a big service bill, my left rear axel seal leaks oil on the brake shoes ($275) and the manifold leaks radiator fluid on the timing belt ($925). Disapointing for a newer car. The use of plastic on the interior moving parts is also a poor place to cut corners on manufacturing costs.

Great SUV
By Willith on 07/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Xterra SUV XE V6 4dr SUV 4WD

This SUV has been nothing but reliable for me over the past 2 years I have owned it. I haven't had to take it in but one time for warrenty work, my CD player stopped working, but they replaced it after they got one in stock. It rides nice (truck like) and has very good visibility (especially from the back seats). The engine is a little underpowered though and some of the switches are placed in hard to reach places (cruise control on/off and rear wiper switch). All in all a great SUV for the price and with the superchargers on the newer 2002 models the power problem will be fixed.