Used 2000 Nissan Xterra SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Nissan Xterra SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

Im Lovin it
By Max Munson

2000 Nissan Xterra SUV XE V6 4dr SUV

If you don't mind driving a rugged SUV, this car rocks. I expected a bumpy ride, as it's built on a truck frame. In my opinion , the bumpiness combined with my 5-speed manual transmission makes my X-Terra very fun to drive.

Engine Issues
By DPB

2000 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4dr SUV

I am glad that Nissan no longer uses this V6 engine when they introduced the 2005 model. My engine problems began at 65 to 70k miles. I had to replace the Knock sensor that is located deep inside the block. The dealer wanted $1200 to replace; I used a non-dealer where the cost to repair in the book understates the labor hours. The timing belt won't last for 105K miles; they now recommend every 60k that costs another several hundred dollars. Thank god my exhaust manifolds have held up even though my dealer said they needed to be replaced for $1200 (other mechanics said they were ok.) Nissan uses a "plastic" bolt on the ac compressor sprocket. Mine eventually "popped" off.

I am using this space for more engine complaints: This sprocket also holds the belt for the radiator fan. I had to replace the water pump. If the water pump is to be replaced, go ahead and have the timing belt replaced; it will save you money.

The engine developed a metallic ringing noise when you accelerated. Adding a washer to tighten the bolt on the AC sprocket eliminated this noise. I have a noise eminating from the dash area when you want to accelerate uphill. You can hear the AC compressor coming on and off now. Back to the shop!

good quality bad gas milage
By afda

2000 Nissan Xterra SUV XE V6 4dr SUV 4WD

the car has been reliable. Everything works. No troubles for years. But it's kind of noisy, and sluggish. The gas milage is really poor.

4 wheel drive, exterier design

gas milage, isolation to reduce noise.

Great Truck
By Niceynice00

2000 Nissan Xterra SUV XE V6 4dr SUV 4WD

I'm had the xterra for 5 years, 93K miles. So far so good. Nothing has ever broken down, and it still runs like new. I cant ask for anything more. Go anywhere capability, good wear on the brakes. Brakes are awsome. Changed the oil every 2500 miles, using castro syntec 5w50. I cant say enough about the build quality. A little bouncy on the but upgraded the suspension with a tokico kit and it rides well. GREAT CAR111

Go anywhere capability. Great in the snow, Binghamton winters and now NYC winters. Never even came close to getting stuck. ABS is awsome too. Strong suspension, NYC potholes are no problem. The reliability and price when I purchased it 24000 is amazing. Got all three packages.

Gas milage, good on highway 16-17 on highway but 12 in the city. But I guess thats just NYC traffic averaging 10 MPH, or maybe I have a lead foot? Seats could be more cofortable and I think this is a problem with most cars. MORE LEGROOM, you know some people are over 6 foot.

I love my Exterra
By afelix

2000 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had my Xterra for only a few years and have hit over 100,000 miles (yea I drive alot). It has given me relativly little problems but the normal wear and tear fixes ( brakes, batteries and tires). I have taken long road trips and the gas milage, tho not ideal is not as bad as I would have thought. I can drive from LA to SJ on 1 tank of gas.

The only thing I don't like which I think has been correct in later models is that when you are driving on the freeway, air passes between the black cover over the sunroof and the car making a loud thapping sound.