Used 2000 Nissan Xterra Consumer Reviews - 91 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

2000 Nissan Xterra

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

Xterra-Xtreme
By zippy

2000 Nissan Xterra XE V6 4dr SUV 4WD

I have taken my Xterra from where the waves crash on the shore to the top of snowy mountains. I have yet to get stuck and I have had no maintenance issues. It tows it hauls and is nice to just ride in. My favorite places is to take it out on the beach at the Outer Banks of NC and to the drive, drop down the back seats, lay out some blankets and enjoy a good show.

Roof rack, 4 wheel drive any where you want to go, the running boards, and the lines (the shape of the vehicle).

The things I wish were different; that the driver's seat was more comfortable, that mine had a stronger engine (already corrected in newer models) and that it would get better gas mileage. But 21 mpg isn't bad for a SUV. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

Still going strong at 115k
By Great SUV

2000 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV 4WD

This SUV's great. Not anything like JD Power's review. Practical, fun, low maintenance. Just do the maintenance and everything works fine. Still a very tight sounding vehicle 5 years and 100k+ miles later. Not too many vehicles can pull that off.

Everything you like if you are drawn to the Xterra look.

The usual - more power, goes through front brakes somewhat faster than normal, better turning radius, air dam on roof vibrates on highway (I took mine off). Mechanically, I replaced two Oxygen sensors and a radiator (small leak) - that's it.

Im Lovin it
By Max Munson

2000 Nissan Xterra XE V6 4dr SUV

If you don't mind driving a rugged SUV, this car rocks. I expected a bumpy ride, as it's built on a truck frame. In my opinion , the bumpiness combined with my 5-speed manual transmission makes my X-Terra very fun to drive.

Engine Issues
By DPB

2000 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV

I am glad that Nissan no longer uses this V6 engine when they introduced the 2005 model. My engine problems began at 65 to 70k miles. I had to replace the Knock sensor that is located deep inside the block. The dealer wanted $1200 to replace; I used a non-dealer where the cost to repair in the book understates the labor hours. The timing belt won't last for 105K miles; they now recommend every 60k that costs another several hundred dollars. Thank god my exhaust manifolds have held up even though my dealer said they needed to be replaced for $1200 (other mechanics said they were ok.) Nissan uses a "plastic" bolt on the ac compressor sprocket. Mine eventually "popped" off.

I am using this space for more engine complaints: This sprocket also holds the belt for the radiator fan. I had to replace the water pump. If the water pump is to be replaced, go ahead and have the timing belt replaced; it will save you money.

The engine developed a metallic ringing noise when you accelerated. Adding a washer to tighten the bolt on the AC sprocket eliminated this noise. I have a noise eminating from the dash area when you want to accelerate uphill. You can hear the AC compressor coming on and off now. Back to the shop!

good quality bad gas milage
By afda

2000 Nissan Xterra XE V6 4dr SUV 4WD

the car has been reliable. Everything works. No troubles for years. But it's kind of noisy, and sluggish. The gas milage is really poor.

4 wheel drive, exterier design

gas milage, isolation to reduce noise.