Used 2000 Nissan Xterra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

260000
By themazemaker

2000 Nissan Xterra XE V6 4dr SUV

My wife bought her xterra brand new in 2000. have had some minor issues with it till it hit 250000 and had to have the tranny rebuilt. Must say that is awsume. having an overheating issue now and trying to track it down. usually when the Air is on it overheats but have not had any other issues to speak of. Love this Vehicle. Will buy another someday when this one goes to the car graveyard lol. it didn't give me an option for saying its an Automatic just manual.

love this car
By heather33

2000 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV 4WD

and i have to say i believe you are supposed to have your airbags serviced every so often so people who's airbags didn't go off could have done that. probly a good thing to do for all late model vehicles

4wd

front seats are awfully low to the floor

A wonderful and reliable truck
By staples93

2000 Nissan Xterra XE V6 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this truck 9 months ago with about 149,000 miles. It now has about 154,000 miles on it. Only had one problem besides a couple minor things. Even though it was never a real problem nor was it noticeable, the transmission had to be rebuilt. Also had to replace the clutch from normal wear. It was the first time it was replaced. Very reliable and has amazing offroad capabilities. Poor gas mileage though. I only get an average of 13-15mpg depending on how and where I drive. Other Xterras tend to do better I think. It is also a little sluggish. Also I am 6'5" and I fit just fine in the drivers seat.

Favorite feature is definitely the 4wd. The owner I bought it from just put new mud tires on it. And let me tell you it impressed not only my friends but myself as well. Almost everything else on it works great. If you are looking for a very reliable truck that you can take off the road then this would be perfect for you. I've never towed anything with it yet except when my Ford F250 couldn't pull a trailer out of the mud, even with 4wd and decent tires. I hooked up my Xterra to it and no problem! Trailer came right out of the mud.

Gas mileage and power are really the only things that need to be improved. Also it would be nice if the steering was a little more responsive but it really isn't much of a problem at all. I'm quite happy with everything else on it. If you're looking for something with more speed, then you shouldn't even be looking at SUVs.

Trusted and Reliable
By Clyde in Chatt Town

2000 Nissan Xterra XE V6 4dr SUV

We have owned our Xterra since 2000 when we bought it new. Now, just rolling over 180,000 miles, it has never been in the shop for more than a check-up. Routine oil changes and new plugs, wires, and fluids at 100,000 miles is all that has ever been done. Recently had the air go out, but after ten years and 180,000 miles I have no complaints with the build quality on this one! If you're looking at buying one used, I would not be intimidated by high miles. Certainly mine has been super-reliable so far, and I would not hesitate to take it on long trips. Super reliable!

Edgy looks at the time. Great ground clearance, good off road performance, and great reliability!

Fuel economy is just okay. Interior in 2000 was simple. I've seen newer models where this has improved. The target consumers and use for this vehicle make super luxury interiors seem silly. Go outdoors, get dirty, have fun with Nissan!

Happy owners
By J-Roy

2000 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV 4WD

We purchased it with 68,000 miles and now it has 135,000 miles and runs very well. We do have occasional issues that are costly (fuel pump, fuel pump wiring harness, brake work, shocks) but they are going to be problematic with any car with these miles. It feels a bit underpowered when we have our family of 4 in it but still maintains freeway speeds without problems. We have loved this car so far.

4x4 works very well in snow, elevated rear seats increase visibility when you are sitting in back so you don't get carsick or feel trapped. It still polishes up nicely and is 10 years old.

We get 13 mpg around town! How does that happen in a SUV this small? It is also very cramped with 4 people in there. The plastics look dirty and old but clean up nicely with tire-shine, you just have to wipe off the left over residue.