2000 Nissan Xterra SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:
200K miles on my 00 X
By calabash_72 on 11/26/14 15:47 PM (PST)

2000 Nissan Xterra SUV XE V6 4dr SUV

Well, I bought my 2000 Nissan Xterra in 2003, shortly after my baby girl was born and I needed 4 doors instead of my extend cab suicide doors on my Silverado. I am going on 12 years owning and 200,000 miles. The cons-bad gas mileage, avg 12-14mpg, cold air intake gave me +1mpg. Really underpowered. Only thing is @ 145k my timing belt broke, supposed to change @ 125k anyway. Distributor went out @ 195k. Other than that, just normal maint wear and tear. I cannot really complain on cost of repairs since there have been so few.

My 2000 Xterra SE 3.3 liter V6
By jerrymax on 05/04/14 04:24 AM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this car almost two years ago and have put 15,000 miles on it. It is great in snow and ice in 4 wheel drive mode. Easy to shift from 2 to 4 wheel drive system. The 3.3 liter V6 is adequate, not fast, but you don't get an SUV for speed. Valve gaskets had to be replaced at 154K. Only complaints; no dashboard clock and dashboard instruments are very dark. On a sunny day if you're wearing sunglasses you can't read them unless dashboard lights are turned on. Vehicle is very rugged. I actually think this 1st generation Xterra looks nicer than the 2nd generation. 4 full doors and great visibility make it more practical than the FJ Cruiser. I would highly recommend this vehicle.

Love my xterra
By jenlw on 09/29/12 19:44 PM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I recently bought a used 2000 xterra. It had about 118,000 miles on it, and is 12 years old, but still runs great. I love the way it looks, and drives. Gas mileage isn't the greatest but I don't do that much driving so it's ok. I did have to replace the distributor, which was about 350.00 but other than that it's been great, and I love it! I've had it for 6 months and still love it like I did when I bought it. They didn't have the option that mine is but it is a SE automatic 4x4

its a 4 speed automatic wasnt in selection but its great
By kms1990 on 06/28/12 11:38 AM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4dr SUV

i love my xterra she has a bumpy ride but its a truck frame so it is designed to be tough not smooth it runs like a beast but as with most v6 suvs it feels underpowered on acceleration up hills on freeway onramps but if you give it a good amount of gas pedal push it will downshift and get up there it looks great to me definitely distinctive the interior is a little bland but well built and comfy seats sit low in front so it feels like sittin in a sporty car thats lifted 10" because you can see above most things blind spots are minimal which is good it has alot of storage space and is well built and fun to drive especially off road where it loves to be great suv i would buy again

Excellent car!!
By rita1971 on 08/30/11 07:14 AM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4dr SUV

I purchased this car ten years ago, it now has 354,000 miles on it. Have only replaced transmission once, never had engine problems and now just needs a power steering line. Its very reliable and great for your money. I highly recommend this vehicle for anyone that uses highway miles a lot and desires to put lots of mileage on a car. I have been driving mines forever and I love the car....Its has exceeded its expectations at 354,000 miles...Unbelievable!!! Im passing it down to my son now.

260000
By themazemaker on 06/17/11 12:47 PM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Xterra SUV XE V6 4dr SUV

My wife bought her xterra brand new in 2000. have had some minor issues with it till it hit 250000 and had to have the tranny rebuilt. Must say that is awsume. having an overheating issue now and trying to track it down. usually when the Air is on it overheats but have not had any other issues to speak of. Love this Vehicle. Will buy another someday when this one goes to the car graveyard lol. it didn't give me an option for saying its an Automatic just manual.

love this car
By heather33 on 06/13/11 09:23 AM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

and i have to say i believe you are supposed to have your airbags serviced every so often so people who's airbags didn't go off could have done that. probly a good thing to do for all late model vehicles

A wonderful and reliable truck
By staples93 on 12/29/10 13:52 PM (PST)

2000 Nissan Xterra SUV XE V6 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this truck 9 months ago with about 149,000 miles. It now has about 154,000 miles on it. Only had one problem besides a couple minor things. Even though it was never a real problem nor was it noticeable, the transmission had to be rebuilt. Also had to replace the clutch from normal wear. It was the first time it was replaced. Very reliable and has amazing offroad capabilities. Poor gas mileage though. I only get an average of 13-15mpg depending on how and where I drive. Other Xterras tend to do better I think. It is also a little sluggish. Also I am 6'5" and I fit just fine in the drivers seat.

Trusted and Reliable
By Clyde in Chatt Town on 12/04/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Nissan Xterra SUV XE V6 4dr SUV

We have owned our Xterra since 2000 when we bought it new. Now, just rolling over 180,000 miles, it has never been in the shop for more than a check-up. Routine oil changes and new plugs, wires, and fluids at 100,000 miles is all that has ever been done. Recently had the air go out, but after ten years and 180,000 miles I have no complaints with the build quality on this one! If you're looking at buying one used, I would not be intimidated by high miles. Certainly mine has been super-reliable so far, and I would not hesitate to take it on long trips. Super reliable!

Happy owners
By J-Roy on 11/27/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

We purchased it with 68,000 miles and now it has 135,000 miles and runs very well. We do have occasional issues that are costly (fuel pump, fuel pump wiring harness, brake work, shocks) but they are going to be problematic with any car with these miles. It feels a bit underpowered when we have our family of 4 in it but still maintains freeway speeds without problems. We have loved this car so far.