2000 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:
its a 4 speed automatic wasnt in selection but its great
By kms1990 on 06/28/12 11:38 AM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV

i love my xterra she has a bumpy ride but its a truck frame so it is designed to be tough not smooth it runs like a beast but as with most v6 suvs it feels underpowered on acceleration up hills on freeway onramps but if you give it a good amount of gas pedal push it will downshift and get up there it looks great to me definitely distinctive the interior is a little bland but well built and comfy seats sit low in front so it feels like sittin in a sporty car thats lifted 10" because you can see above most things blind spots are minimal which is good it has alot of storage space and is well built and fun to drive especially off road where it loves to be great suv i would buy again

Excellent car!!
By rita1971 on 08/30/11 07:14 AM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV

I purchased this car ten years ago, it now has 354,000 miles on it. Have only replaced transmission once, never had engine problems and now just needs a power steering line. Its very reliable and great for your money. I highly recommend this vehicle for anyone that uses highway miles a lot and desires to put lots of mileage on a car. I have been driving mines forever and I love the car....Its has exceeded its expectations at 354,000 miles...Unbelievable!!! Im passing it down to my son now.

Exceeds Expectation
By Tomtiger on 12/30/09 19:07 PM (PST)

2000 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV

I bought this vehicle for it's looks a few weeks after its first introduction into US market in 1999 and I have to say that it has served my family extremely well. My wife primarily drives this truck. Other than normal maintenance, A/C compressor was the only major thing I had spent money on in it's fist seven years. Is being TEN YEARS now going ELEVEN that i've owned this truck. It has about 190000 miles and still running strong as ever. I will buy another one if Nissan ever decide to make it to accommodate a third row seat.

Miss mine too
By Kangel Davis on 10/04/09 16:01 PM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV

I loved this vehicle also like the review below...mine also was totaled in an accident by a speeder. Not a scratch built to last & safety a plus. With 141,000 still going strong. The only prob;em my air bag did not go off & being hit at 50 oops something went wrong...otherwise the best I every owned & now looking to replace...with yep another Xterra

Xterra Owner
By Xterra owner on 03/10/07 18:10 PM (PST)

2000 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV

I love my Xterra. It has 100,000 miles and I have only had to change the tires, brakes and a couple belts. Nothing huge considering the mileage.

Engine problems
By XOwner on 01/13/06 08:50 AM (PST)

2000 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV

We were looking to replace a Jeep CJ when we purchased this SUV. We've really enjoyed it until recently. We've put in $2000 worth of repairs and have now been told that the head gasket has to be replaced - another $2000!!! Ouch! We just paid it off and only has 83,000 miles on it!

Engine Issues
By DPB on 05/14/05 19:52 PM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV

I am glad that Nissan no longer uses this V6 engine when they introduced the 2005 model. My engine problems began at 65 to 70k miles. I had to replace the Knock sensor that is located deep inside the block. The dealer wanted $1200 to replace; I used a non-dealer where the cost to repair in the book understates the labor hours. The timing belt won't last for 105K miles; they now recommend every 60k that costs another several hundred dollars. Thank god my exhaust manifolds have held up even though my dealer said they needed to be replaced for $1200 (other mechanics said they were ok.) Nissan uses a "plastic" bolt on the ac compressor sprocket. Mine eventually "popped" off.

Love the Xterra
By mermansk on 05/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV

I bought mine new at first release of 2000 model year. Sole owner. Marathon road trips, city traffic, towing and commuting. Wonderful balance between interior space, utility, horsepower, gas mileage, etc. Family of four traveling regularly. I own the SE version because I don't believe in power everything. I've added power door locks/security system and a towing hitch. Basic maintenance is all I've had to do. Bang for buck, it's on top of the heap.

Just OK...
By bdoleusa on 04/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV

Good buy for what you get. When they mean "no frills," this is exactly what you get. No luxury appointments, but I wasn't going for that. Needed something to haul two large dogs, but didn't cost a bunch. I won't buy another one of these, as the ride feels as if you are on a buckboard wagon - could have had a better suspension installed.

Xterra from my perspective
By Holiday on 11/18/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV

I love my Xterra. It is extremely comfortable, it is stylish and a good cruising car. The power isn't that great for a V6. I have had multiple problems with the car and am a little worried as to it's future reliability.