Used 2000 Nissan Xterra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

2000 Nissan Xterra

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

200K miles on my 00 X
By calabash_72

2000 Nissan Xterra XE V6 4dr SUV

Well, I bought my 2000 Nissan Xterra in 2003, shortly after my baby girl was born and I needed 4 doors instead of my extend cab suicide doors on my Silverado. I am going on 12 years owning and 200,000 miles. The cons-bad gas mileage, avg 12-14mpg, cold air intake gave me +1mpg. Really underpowered. Only thing is @ 145k my timing belt broke, supposed to change @ 125k anyway. Distributor went out @ 195k. Other than that, just normal maint wear and tear. I cannot really complain on cost of repairs since there have been so few.

Favorite Features

Beast mode in 4wd. Great in snow as long as you have decent tires, have had bad tires and will go good in snow in 4wd. I did install a K&N cold air intake and it helps just a tad w/power and +a couple on MPG.

Suggested Improvements

I wish they would have used the Pathfinder motor in this year model. Would love a supercharger. Front seat not the most comfy.

My 2000 Xterra SE 3.3 liter V6
By jerrymax

2000 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this car almost two years ago and have put 15,000 miles on it. It is great in snow and ice in 4 wheel drive mode. Easy to shift from 2 to 4 wheel drive system. The 3.3 liter V6 is adequate, not fast, but you don't get an SUV for speed. Valve gaskets had to be replaced at 154K. Only complaints; no dashboard clock and dashboard instruments are very dark. On a sunny day if you're wearing sunglasses you can't read them unless dashboard lights are turned on. Vehicle is very rugged. I actually think this 1st generation Xterra looks nicer than the 2nd generation. 4 full doors and great visibility make it more practical than the FJ Cruiser. I would highly recommend this vehicle.

Favorite Features

Roof rack is great. Interior (and exterior) is somewhat narrow but that is considered an advantage in off-roading when you need to fit between two objects. Ride is comfortable for a truck-based SUV. This is truly a 'go anywhere' machine, really designed for off-road travel. That odd hump on the tailgate is for the standard first aid kit that comes with the Xterra. Dimensions are the same as for 2nd generation Xterra except for 2nd gen being 2.5 inches wider. PS --- My Xterra has an automatic tranni but they didn't offer that option on this site, as they listed only manni-trannis.

Suggested Improvements

I have no use for the sporty "sun screen" [or whatever they call it] on the roof. It doesn't really have a function since it doesn't actually open up like a true sun roof but at high speed it flutters around and makes an irritating noise. Get a solid metal roof if at all possible. Put in a dashboard clock. Nissan advertises the Xterra as having "everything you need, nothing you don't." Well, guess what, I need a clock on the dashboard. Gas cap is on right (wrong) side of vehicle, which is inconvenient since you have to exit vehicle and walk to opposite side to pump gas. But this was corrected in 2nd generation Xterra which now has gas cap on left side.

Love my xterra
By jenlw

2000 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I recently bought a used 2000 xterra. It had about 118,000 miles on it, and is 12 years old, but still runs great. I love the way it looks, and drives. Gas mileage isn't the greatest but I don't do that much driving so it's ok. I did have to replace the distributor, which was about 350.00 but other than that it's been great, and I love it! I've had it for 6 months and still love it like I did when I bought it. They didn't have the option that mine is but it is a SE automatic 4x4

Suggested Improvements

The one thing about this design that I don't like, is that mine has a sun roof, and you can't have the top basket in if you want to open your sunroof. If you want to open it you have to get out of the truck, take it off and store it to be able to use the sun roof. Maybe they can make the sunroof farther back so you can still have the cool basket up there when you have it open!

its a 4 speed automatic wasnt in selection but its great
By kms1990

2000 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV

i love my xterra she has a bumpy ride but its a truck frame so it is designed to be tough not smooth it runs like a beast but as with most v6 suvs it feels underpowered on acceleration up hills on freeway onramps but if you give it a good amount of gas pedal push it will downshift and get up there it looks great to me definitely distinctive the interior is a little bland but well built and comfy seats sit low in front so it feels like sittin in a sporty car thats lifted 10" because you can see above most things blind spots are minimal which is good it has alot of storage space and is well built and fun to drive especially off road where it loves to be great suv i would buy again

Favorite Features

ride height basic layout (not all that fancy stuff to break down) comfy interior storage space

Suggested Improvements

make the cabin a little better looking(not so boring)and a little less bumpy (not bad im young and dont mind but a family man or older person ect might want a smoother ride such as the more car like suspension on the pathfinder

Excellent car!!
By rita1971

2000 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV

I purchased this car ten years ago, it now has 354,000 miles on it. Have only replaced transmission once, never had engine problems and now just needs a power steering line. Its very reliable and great for your money. I highly recommend this vehicle for anyone that uses highway miles a lot and desires to put lots of mileage on a car. I have been driving mines forever and I love the car....Its has exceeded its expectations at 354,000 miles...Unbelievable!!! Im passing it down to my son now.

Favorite Features

maintains its color and body very well. Cant withstand lots of mileage on the engine.

Suggested Improvements

just better gas mileage.