Used 2000 Nissan Xterra Consumer Reviews - 91 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

2000 Nissan Xterra

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

1st. year in Production,I would buy a dozen more.
By Adam Sands

2000 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV 4WD

You should know that you have a reliable,safe,vehicle that will go anywhere,everyday.My x-terra owes me nothing.Over 200,000 miles.still perky and strong.I have a 5 speed man.trans.and I've had to replace clutch @ about 130,000 miles.after driving lessons with 2 kids and towing a boat out of the water every weekend.I've only had a few issues through the years.A/C compressor failed after 100,000 mi.quick fix= removed belt and rolled down windows.Broken leaf spring,due to rust sand/salt is a challenge here in MA.Dealer replacement springs were about $325.local mech repaired+new shocks.DIY tune up's are a challenge to get the #5 spark plug out.*tip= after tune-up check that ALL spark plugs were replaced.honest repair men are rare.The only "issue I had was getting the "4wd"to disengage back to 2w drive.their's a sequence.drive 35mph in 3rd gear and shift out of 4wd.some times it takes awhile for it to go back to normal drive.Thats it for issues..AWESOME truck for snow,rough roads,hills,and trails.The only reason I'm getting rid of my xterra is that I cant keep up with the RUST spots.Mine started on the back hatch ,little blisters,and every year it spreads all over.Good thing I am so handy with bondo and primer paint finishing.I LOVE MY TRUCK.

The Yeti
By Me

2000 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV

I purchased this truck from a small used car lot about a year and a half ago. Rescued is more like it and I knew it . It would seem that the previous owner did not care for it too much. It is a risk you take buying used from any where. It had 142,000 on it so I took that chance. I knew that it would be a project. I have replaced the valve gasket, radiator and hoses, thermostat, steering pump, rear window sprayer (missing when bought), spark plugs, distributor cap with rotor and wires, drive belts, brakes, ac compressor, refurbished the electronic control module, and replaced various lights. I still want to replace the shocks and touch up the paint. It is not difficult to work on with room to do so. Not typical of most vehicles now. The cost of repairs have been reasonable. It has always started and never left me stranded. It is a tough truck in which I see was designed to keep going. Surprisingly, it can hold and tow a lot. Never stuck off road yet. I can park it and not be too worried about finding it upon return. It lives up to its moniker; all that you need. Nothing big but more than it appears. I love the outdoors and play rugby. I love my truck and look forward to all the places we will go.

200K miles on my 00 X
By calabash_72

2000 Nissan Xterra XE V6 4dr SUV

Well, I bought my 2000 Nissan Xterra in 2003, shortly after my baby girl was born and I needed 4 doors instead of my extend cab suicide doors on my Silverado.
I am going on 12 years owning and 200,000 miles. The cons-bad gas mileage, avg 12-14mpg, cold air intake gave me +1mpg. Really underpowered. Only thing is @ 145k my timing belt broke, supposed to change @ 125k anyway. Distributor went out @ 195k. Other than that, just normal maint wear and tear.
I cannot really complain on cost of repairs since there have been so few.

Beast mode in 4wd. Great in snow as long as you have decent tires, have had bad tires and will go good in snow in 4wd. I did install a K&N cold air intake and it helps just a tad w/power and +a couple on MPG.

I wish they would have used the Pathfinder motor in this year model. Would love a supercharger. Front seat not the most comfy.

My 2000 Xterra SE 3.3 liter V6
By jerrymax

2000 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this car almost two years ago and have put 15,000 miles on it.
It is great in snow and ice in 4 wheel drive mode.
Easy to shift from 2 to 4 wheel drive system. The 3.3 liter V6 is adequate, not fast, but you don't get an SUV for speed.
Valve gaskets had to be replaced at 154K.
Only complaints; no dashboard clock and dashboard instruments are very dark. On a sunny day if you're wearing sunglasses you can't read them unless dashboard lights are turned on.
Vehicle is very rugged.
I actually think this 1st generation Xterra looks nicer than the 2nd generation.
4 full doors and great visibility make it more practical than the FJ Cruiser.
I would highly recommend this vehicle.
Since last posting my review I had engine overheating repeatedly and thought the vehicle needed a new thermastat. Turned out there was a crack in the head gasket. I was given alternatives of a $2000 repair job or "we can put in some sealant and half the time that works." For thirty dollars I had them put in the sealant and ever since then, about six months ago, the car runs perfectly and no longer overheats.

Love my xterra
By jenlw

2000 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I recently bought a used 2000 xterra.
It had about 118,000 miles on it, and is 12 years old, but still runs great.
I love the way it looks, and drives.
Gas mileage isn't the greatest but I don't do that much driving so it's ok.
I did have to replace the distributor, which was about 350.00 but other than that it's been great, and I love it!
I've had it for 6 months and still love it like I did when I bought it.
They didn't have the option that mine is but it is a SE automatic 4x4

The one thing about this design that I don't like, is that mine has a sun roof, and you can't have the top basket in if you want to open your sunroof. If you want to open it you have to get out of the truck, take it off and store it to be able to use the sun roof. Maybe they can make the sunroof farther back so you can still have the cool basket up there when you have it open!