2016 Nissan Versa Sedan Consumer Reviews - 15 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Nissan Versa Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Versa model:

Good value, but needs improvement
By Courtney Kurtenbach

2016 Nissan Versa Sedan 1.6 SV 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

Good new car for a low price, but definitely nothing very fun. The car is quite slow, acceleration is terrible (but then again, I'm used to driving a car with a turbo engine, so if you're not used to a faster car it might be fine). You can hear the car struggling when trying to speed up. I also found the steering to be pretty bad. Maybe it's just different from what I'm used to, but the steering seemed to be not very responsive and stiff. I could feel quite a bit of resistance when I tried to turn the wheel. It made it difficult to make small adjustments. Braking was very nice and responsive, though. Interior is very comfortable and roomy. A bit disappointed with the kind I had though, as it had no backup camera or touch screen display. The audio system was actually pretty nice, though. Overall a good car for the price, but personally I would need something a bit nicer in performance if I were going to get a 2016.

Totally Awesome Car
By Dave the Rave

2016 Nissan Versa Sedan 1.6 S 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this for my daughter, whose used car was on its last legs. I am very happy with our Versa S 5 speed manual. Attention Tall drivers: I am 6' 6" and I fit comfortably with plenty of head and leg room in the front seats. Rear seating has less headroom, but plenty of leg room. The seats are comfortable with lumbar support even on my base model. I do not feel like I am in a subcompact when in this car. It feels roomy. The AC is nice and cold and instrumentation is easy to see and use. What makes this car special, though, is how much fun it is to drive. We have the zippy 5 speed manual. I really had forgotten how much fun it is to drive a stick, and the versa puts a smile on my face. The gearing seems well spaced with just enough growl to enjoy. Braking is good and solid, and the handbrake is easily used to prevent rollback. The only drawback for me is that there is only one keyhole, on the driver's door, which I will hope stays functional. Having replaced power window mechanisms and keys with chips in other cars, I am happy with the crank windows and standard keys ( get a copy at Home Depot) that will keep my money in my pocket. Overall, for the price, an excellent value and a fun car to drive. Update: The above review was for my daughter's car, but 3 months later my own car died. Because I continue to be impressed by this car, I went and got a Versa S 5-Speed Manual for myself. I love zipping around in this car. It is fun, roomy and comfortable. BTW the Bluetooth Phone system is excellent. Callers can't tell I'm talking hands-free and I can devote my attention to shifting. I am very happy with my decision to buy two of these - for what I had previously paid for one car.

The good, the bad, and the indifferent
By Catherine Graham

2016 Nissan Versa Sedan 1.6 S Plus 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

The CVT tranny takes it's time getting up to speed, so if you need to get on the freeway take a sedative to retain your composure. The dealership tacked on stuff from outer space that the sales guy has still not explained to me after the sale (Nissan of Vacaville). They were supposed to make some additions, but after almost a month, I've had to contact them a few times and they tell me every time that they will get back to me. RIGHT!!! The versa gets great gas mileage and handles the turns really well. While there is plenty of cargo space in the trunk, the glove box is a giant black hole, and there is no console. There are cup holders crammed in the center and the doors, but if you get anything larger than a small beverage you'll have trouble getting at them.

Excellent for the money
By Frank

2016 Nissan Versa Sedan 1.6 S 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

The good: Great price, I paid under $10,500 out the door (tax, license, etc not included). I paid more for a 1991 Civic LX in 1990. That Civic had electric door locks and power windows, but no ABS or airbags.

I like the ride. I wouldn't call it plush, but certainly comfortable for a small car. I find the car fairly quiet ... I don't have problem with using the phone when driving at highway speed.

The 5MT and engine provide acceptable power ... I don't notice the problem going up hills the professional reviews have commented on. The big mile-long hill near me I go up in 5th without losing speed although I do have to hit the gas. Gas mileage is excellent ... getting close to 40 in mixed driving.

The manual transmission and clutch are really smooth and easy to use. Long throw, but the clutch engagement is really light. Easy to drive.

I like the steering ... it is quite strongly assisted, but it is easy to turn the wheel. I can see how some prefer more feel, but this doesn't bother me.

The trunk is huge. There is a donut spare, but it looks like there is room for a full size spare. There wasn't in my 1991 Civic ... I did buy the full sized spare for that car but it didn't fit in the well. For this Versa, a full size spare would definitely fit.

Hands free phone works great; connection with my android was painless. With the aux in and a $5 lighter-USB adapter, I play music on my phone no problem. I haven't used my CDs since ripping them, but now they have a use.

The styling of this car is nice. Expert reviews bitching about a lack of soft touch plastic inside are a laugh. Who said soft touch plastic is the best? I can guarantee you the hard plastic used in the Versa S is more durable than "soft" thin skin plastic over polyurethane ... and what are the reviewers doing touching the plastic inside anyhow? Shouldn't they also note the taste of this plastic isn't as good as much more expensive cars too?

There is a remote trunk release inside the cabin ... some reviews say there is not.

Car comes standard with nice Continental tires.

The FM radio reception is quite good; controls on the steering wheel are convenient.

The bad: The display (mileage, miles left in the tank, trip, etc) could be better ... you have to choose displays so I can't see trip and total miles or miles per tank on the same display. There is a tachometer, but only idiot lights for everything else.

Not much adjustment for the seat, but it does fit me quite well. The steering wheel does adjust up and down.

The rear seat backs don't fold down on this model.

Rear brakes are drum.

Storage is limited. Although the glove compartment is huge (non locking), other than this, cup holders in middle and on doors, and a small slot between seats that is too small for my Nexus 6P, there is no storage. A space for quarters or storage of little things would have been nice.

The ugly: No automatic door locks takes some getting used to. The locks are a bit more difficult to actuate than they should be. Only one door lock on the driver side ... lets hope it never goes bad. OTOH, I just leave the car doors open with nothing of value inside. Most thieves don't look at the cheapest new car sold in America thinking there must be a lot of valuables inside.

Other than that, not much else I can bitch about. There is an amazing amount of space for the rear passengers.

Comments on the car ratings from professional reviews. I look at several sites that provide professional reviews and see this car at or near the bottom. I wanted an inexpensive commuter car with good gas mileage, hands free phone, the ability to play music on my phone, and this car fits the bill nicely. It has hard plastic inside ... oh boo hoo. If this is what you have to complain about, things are looking pretty good. Remember, we bought this car for under $10,500. Yea, the cars costing $2K or more have more features ... duh. The only car coming anywhere close in cost rides like a Russian troop truck loaded up for the Ukrainian invasion.

The 2016 Versa Sedan no Vice needed:)
By Paula

2016 Nissan Versa Sedan 1.6 S 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

overall it a great starter car for credit repair its light on the road especially on windy days so i added 120lbs in my trunk which gave it stability other than that i love my 2016 Versa Sedan........ but my next car will be a NIssan Sentra only because im moving up lol or maybe i will stay with the Versa......