Used 2014 Nissan Versa Consumer Reviews - 11 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Nissan Versa - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Versa model:

Little traveler
By Nick

2014 Nissan Versa 1.6 SV 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

Owned this car for three years and put over 65,000 miles on this car and have had not had one single issue with it. Although the car is extremely slow at acceleration. Moreover the cabin materials are all plastic and gives the vehicle a rather cheap feel but that was to be expected with such a low priced vehicle. So i would recommend for anyone who wants low price and reliability over looks and speed.

my versa
By GK

2014 Nissan Versa 1.6 S 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

My versa has been reliable. No problems at all in 41k miles besides the motor burning some oil. When I first got it only had 2k miles in april 2014.it was a rental and I guess nobody rented it cause it was a manual.I was using full synthetic when i got it. I switched to regular 5w30 because it was using between 1 and 2 qts of oil and that stuff is expensive. I had to add a qt at 3k, is that normal? The owners manual say 5k for normal driving so that's when I change it.

this car handles well and it commutes well
By jesus

2014 Nissan Versa 1.6 S 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car brand new on January 2014 during a snowy day in IL. Unfortunately I ended paying over two grand over what i should originally pay for it. However, I frequently brought the car the dealership and received honest and fair service at the right intervals. The car has been through only recall for the instrument panel console trim that got your foot stuck in the accelerator but it got fixed promptly with no issues (I suspected about this issue even before it made it to a full recall and Nissan contacted me right away about the issue. Unfortunately, I lived in a very crowded area and my vehicle got hit and scratched in the rear bumper and side front panel and of course that is not a cheap fix and noticed that they could do a better job in the quality of the paint.

I was also satisfied with the ability of commuting in a crowded area with ease. I was able to zoom through traffic, go through snow, rain, ice with no hesitations on handling or riding quality. I was a bit dissatisfied with the handling/steering abilities in the highway and I suspected I needed to replace the stock tires which I did and I couldn't regret about that. I even had to drive cross country from IL to TX across different states including Iowa, Kansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, etc. and i was never afraid to drive 1700 miles on this vehicle. I had to admit that winds create unsafe conditions in vehicles like this one, but you also need to remember that any vehicle can experience issues when is windy but it took me time to get used to the handling/steering styles that this vehicle had.

Not only I was able to drive many miles on stock brakes, but I now have almost 15,000 miles on it and I haven't had to replace any major parts yet other than oil change, air filter and one new tire again ( got a flat on Texas but that was out of my control). I must say that even so the tire was busted, I was able to ride safely because the TPMS tire pressure sensor saved my life. I kept on filling up the air until I brought it to Costco and had to put the spare tire and got it replaced under warranty.

Please, do your research when you go to a Nissan Dealership. I got the worst experience in one of them and find out which are the ones with better reputation. I opted to do oil changes elsewhere but I am also doing every tune up at recommended intervals.

I do highway driving all the time and very little city driving since I live in the suburbs. I must say that what other people are saying about acceleration is not correct. If you have a tendency to floor the gas pedal on a car so you can drive faster, then this is not your vehicle. This car WILL accelerate as any other vehicle if you DON'T smash the gas pedal. The CVT transmission requires you to gradually step on the gas pedal and I have to say that I can confidently pass other vehicles with ease that are not necessarily the same size of this car. The steering over 85 mph or even 90 mph requires you to have attention on the wheel (I don't text, do phone calls, etc only using wireless technologies). This car can drive those speeds with ease and it can also switch between 6 lanes of traffic with ease.

Also, I personally don't like lane change assistance, cameras, etc. I have to admit this car has blind spots but you can buy little mirrors at the automotive stores and attached them over the regular review mirrors. That solved the issue but of course you also need to look out in the lanes next to you before you merge.

I also feel confident when I am braking, because this vehicle can brake at higher speeds without feeling that I am going to loose control. Other vehicles had cut me off on the highway and I have been able to drive safely even on ramps or quick lane changes. I am very happy with the gas mileage on this vehicle. My daily commute is about 32 miles every day and I am averaging almost 35 MPG but please keep in mind that rush hour highway driving has way too much traffic at times. I only spend roughly 5 gallons per week to go to work.

Yes, this car has flaws in the paint quality, overall trim panels, interiors, etc. This car has very good sound (mine has the premium option) as well as blue-tooth which is a must in Texas highways. If you know that you are buying a car to commute and not necessarily to feel good about yourself, then this is your vehicle. You also have to consider that you may not need all of those fancy gadgets, buttons, etc on your console at all. This car has a good instrument layout and all the controls are located where they need to be. I am 6 feet tall and I can comfortably ride this vehicle (even during the cross country driving I was able to drive this vehicle for 16 hours non-stop without any muscle pain or issues)

I am financing this vehicle and will keep it as long as it can run. I originally bought this car with that idea and not necessarily to trade it in.

By the way, the A/C still runs like new, transmission, engine, etc no issues also.

Pass on Nissan too many issues to count!
By Michele

2014 Nissan Versa 1.6 S 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

My car is not even 6 months old and already I am having issues with it. When I first got it, it drove ok at times it was a little noisy and hesitated when accelerating! Since the TCM reprogram it is now driving like a 20 year old car very rough and noisy! I no longer feel safe in the car because of all the shuddering. Nissan has no answer for this problem as it seems to be common in alot of their cars even their newest models.I guess I feel lucky because my car drove for 6 months. I have read stories of people having the same issues or worse with Nissan cars that have only had their cars for a few weeks.

In addition, I am filling it up with gas every few days! The car seems to have a mind of its own and will pull and accelerate on its own even while trying to come to a stop in traffic making it very dangerous to drive. The body of my car is like paper. My windows wont roll down anymore. To make matters worse, I have a very expensive loan that I took out to finance this peice of crap and I am afraid the car will die long before the balance is payed off. The only saving grace in all of this mayhem is that I purchased an extended warranty. I have a feeling I am going to use it alot. I am already 3 visits in to the dealer in less than 2 weeks. Do yourself a favor and pass on Nissan. Go with a Honda thats the car I wanted originally. I now regret not following my gut as it would have saved me alot of headaches and money.

burnt in the high desert
By William l Fisher

2014 Nissan Versa 1.6 SV 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

Don't buy it in Victorville. Don't tell the salesman this is your first new car and you haven't shopped around. Don't accept the first quote or the percentage rate. I paid over 16000 dollars for a Nissan versa with just an ac and a crummy auto. trans. Almost 6% interest rate, and got a car with 128 miles instead of the new one I was told I would get. In shop several times. Recall for foot sticking on accelerator. I had close to 700 fico.