2012 Nissan Versa Consumer Review: Good car and excellent gas mil

2012 Nissan Versa - Consumer Review

Good car and excellent gas mileage!
By hightechjunkie on

2012 Nissan Versa 1.6 SV 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

I recently bought the 2012 Nissan Versa SV with the CVT transmission and let me tell you the CVT takes a while to get used to. There are NO actual gears in a CVT transmission only pulleys and a belt. It seems to hesiate when you step on the gas from a dead stop and that's because it's looking for the right belt/pulley ratio. It's only momentary but you will notice the difference between the CVT trans and a regular 4 or 5 speed trans. Not a bad thing, just something to get used to. it also seems to "downshift" a tad when you let of the gas...again the CVT trying to optimize engine transmission synchronization. Overall I am very happy with the Versa but would like to see minor improvements.

Incredible gas mileage, good looking, tons of room inside, huge trunk, decent amount of features for the money, great a/c system, cheap to operate and did I mention the killer gas mileage? It's basic transportation and you won't even beat a bicycle in a 0-60 test but it doesn't feel like a compact car.

Need a trunk release button under the rear badge like in older model Versas, chrome accents inside on all models, variable intermittent wipers on all models and a sunroof would be a nice option.
By sdaigle
on 04/21/14 18:58 PM (PDT)

Your take on the Versa is very similar to mine. It took me quite awhile to get accustomed to the behavior of the CVT... months. Now that I'm adjusted, I really like it and prefer it to a traditional geared transmission. I too agree it needs some kinks worked out. There is a severe hesitation when you step on the gas from a stop, so much so it feels like it could be dangerous when you need to jump out into traffic. There is also a lot of hesitation and occasional shuddering sensation when accelerating moderately. The lack of a trunk release button on the trunk lid or key fob is a real annoyance. I also dislike that the power door locks do not unlock until AFTER you pull the key from the ignition. I'd much prefer the doors to unlock when the car is placed in "Park" like on GM cars. Can't tell you how many times myself or passengers attempt to jump out to be met by a locked door (such as at a gas station). To make a bad problem worse, the doors don't automatically unlock when the interior handle is pulled, like on cars I've owned in the past. This is a safety oversight to me.