A Great Way To Save Some Cash
By toddp77 on
2012 Nissan Versa 1.6 S 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)
I have enjoyed saving cash and driving a manual transmission. I drove a 1983 Nissan Sentra in high school and this car provides some nostalgia for me. This is a very inexpensive vehicle and it shows in several ways that may be deal breakers for some people but reminds me of how much money I saved. The handling and power are sacrificed for savings and fuel efficiency. I was also swayed by the large interior with numerous air bags and better than you would expect safety ratings.
Favorite Features
The fuel efficiency is better than I expected. I have been averaging 36 mpg with little city driving. In 5th gear on a flat road, driving 50 miles per hour will show 50 miles per gallon on the dash indicator. As I drive faster the efficiency drops. I have been enjoying winding up my windows and I am tall enough to use the manual locks for each door while in the drivers seat. If you can live without these features you are saving several thousand dollars. This is the first year the base model Versa came with air conditioning as a standard feature.
Suggested Improvements
The spacious interior and cavernous trunk are fantastic and one of the reasons I purchased this vehicle, though it is filled will cheap plastic. The worst part is the upholstery fabric. It is very cheap and you should plan on immediately purchasing seat covers. The front bucket seats leave something to be desired in terms of support though I am 6'4" and people can still sit behind me easily. My biggest complaint is the lack of a tachometer. I can't believe they produced a manual transmission without one. I have never even heard of this before. With help from a friend with experience working on electrical systems in cars, I was able to install an after market tach for less than $100.