2012 Nissan Versa Consumer Review: A Bargain Worth Driving

2012 Nissan Versa - Consumer Review

A Bargain Worth Driving
By sdaigle on

2012 Nissan Versa 1.6 SV 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

At the time of writing this, I've owned my 2012 Versa SV sedan for 4mos. and have driven it 11,000 miles. So far, it's been a fantastic little car and I love it! Fuel economy has proven much better than the EPA rating of 30/38. My lowest MPG on a tank was 39 and my highest was 49. Seriously! I have my little quibbles with the car, but what car is perfect, right?

Comfortable, roomy interior. Although narrow, it feels bigger to drive than it actually is. I appreciate the smooth, relatively quiet, and generally pleasant sounding engine. Not thrashy or raspy like some 4cyl. engines. The CVT is a little quirky, but once you get accustomed to its behavior, it's wonderful. Most appreciated in city traffic, on hilly routes, and during freeway passes. Smooth as butter.

The lack of a folding backseat is a HUGE disappointment for a mid-spec car (SV trim). Yes, even with an entry-level model like the Versa. I, like most people, expect an economy car to be practical. For $16,300 I expect a folding back seat! Thankfully the trunk is BIG and everything I've needed to squeeze in has fit. It's a good thing I don't ski, surf, or otherwise engage in activities that require hauling around long items.