Used 2012 Nissan Versa Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Nissan Versa Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Versa model:

2012 Versa Good design & great value
By medmann48

2012 Nissan Versa Sedan 1.6 SV 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

We purchased a 2012 versa SV sedan about 2 months ago & love it so far. I already have a 2009 Versa Hatchback & have had Zero problems with it this last 3 years & drive it EVERY day. I like the design of the new 2012 sedan & chose it because so many sub sompacts are made to be small & sporty. The 2012 Versa sedan is like a small family car with lots of room. It may not be sporty but it has lots of room & the price is right, we have 2 6ft sons who hop into the back seat with no problems, try that in a Yaris or Fiesta, good luck! I still marvel at how nice this car looks, kinda like a smaller version of the Altima or Maxima.

HUGE backseat leg room rivaling that of a mid size sedan. Attractive classic design for us middle aged folks, kinda of like a small luxury car. HUGE trunk will swallow a large amount of luggace. Fuel economy is awesome!

Center Armrest! This car needs a center armrest! I just bought one off Ebay for my 2009 versa Hatchback & I think the 2012 sedan will be the next to get one.

A Bargain Worth Driving
By sdaigle

2012 Nissan Versa Sedan 1.6 SV 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

At the time of writing this, I've owned my 2012 Versa SV sedan for 4mos. and have driven it 11,000 miles. So far, it's been a fantastic little car and I love it! Fuel economy has proven much better than the EPA rating of 30/38. My lowest MPG on a tank was 39 and my highest was 49. Seriously! I have my little quibbles with the car, but what car is perfect, right?

Comfortable, roomy interior. Although narrow, it feels bigger to drive than it actually is. I appreciate the smooth, relatively quiet, and generally pleasant sounding engine. Not thrashy or raspy like some 4cyl. engines. The CVT is a little quirky, but once you get accustomed to its behavior, it's wonderful. Most appreciated in city traffic, on hilly routes, and during freeway passes. Smooth as butter.

The lack of a folding backseat is a HUGE disappointment for a mid-spec car (SV trim). Yes, even with an entry-level model like the Versa. I, like most people, expect an economy car to be practical. For $16,300 I expect a folding back seat! Thankfully the trunk is BIG and everything I've needed to squeeze in has fit. It's a good thing I don't ski, surf, or otherwise engage in activities that require hauling around long items.

Pleasantly surprised to say the least
By arg76

2012 Nissan Versa Sedan 1.6 SV 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

I have a long comute around 110 miles a day and i was getting a little tired of my SUV and it 17mpg, i wanted two things, great fuel economy and no car payment. I looked at the Honda, i looked at the Toyota Yaris and corolla they just felt cheap, then i noticed Nissan were offering the Versa for under 11k. It turned out the 11k version was a manual trans, wind up windows basic stereo and seat cloth that felt like twine, its a new car for 11k i get its not going to be mega luxury, so the dealer showed me the SV version, a little more 16.5k but much nicer interior and CVT box and ipod plug and nicer seats. I drove and bought it that day, amazing mpg more than they claim, and really a great car

averaging 37.8 mpg, on one two hour freeway drive i set the cruise at 72 mph and got 42mpg, that hybrid fuel economy at a 16k price tag, the seats are really comfortable and i love the ipod plug in feature. Its an extremely smooth ride and i kid you not my back seat passengers had more leg room than in my Envoy Denali. The CVT takes some getting used too, it can rev quite high up hills, but again for 37.8 mpg i could care less, its quiet as a mouse at cruising speed.

i do miss an arm rest i will admit, if checked out after market center arm rests and might invest in one. For some reason the fact the doors dont unlock until i take the key out of the ignition really annoys me, but its hardly a massive deal.

Budget friendly to the Max
By sdaigle

2012 Nissan Versa Sedan 1.6 SV 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

The Versa is definitely geared towards people who shop for a car with their head rather than their heart. It's extremely practical and efficient, what economy cars generally aim to be. It's the cheapest car to buy in its class. It's near tops in fuel efficiency. Running costs are low. It offers a lot of room for it's size. Overall, it's a fantastic value. If you want something stylish, fun-to-drive, with loads of personality, the Versa will disappoint. Think economy car for middle-age folks. It's like driving a well-engineered appliance. It does its job well, but isn't inspiring and won't win over your heart. I recommend the Kia Rio or Chevy Sonic if that's where your priorities reside.

The interior is cavernous! Definitely the largest interior in its class. Front seats are very comfortable for a little car. Love the seamless power delivery from the CVT when traversing hilly terrain. CVT keeps revs very low while cruising, which contributes to a fairly quiet interior (by small car standards) and great fuel economy. I'm averaging 40-42 MPGs. For only having 109 HP, it moves quite well in most situations.

Interior needs a major quality upgrade. Doesn't stack up to competition. All hard plastic interior looks and feels ultra cheap. Gaps between exterior body panels are rather wide and uneven. Disappointing overall quality from a Nissan product. The lack of a center armrest even on top trim SL baffles me. Versa isn't the least bit competitive with features. Competitors offer leather, sunroof, auto climate controls, etc. None of that is available on Versa sedan, but should be. 2nd generation CVT is unrefined. Jerky at low speeds and surprisingly noisy at times, making whistling, clunking, and creaky door sounds.

Unique Small Car!
By aeh4

2012 Nissan Versa Sedan 1.6 SL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

We test drove almost every subcompact model before choosing the Versa sedan. No other car had quite the combination of interior room, excellent visibility and outstanding fuel efficiency. It is not as stylish as other cars, but we could not find another vehicle that was as easy to drive and can truly fit four 6-foot adults. The Versa sits about 6 inches taller than other small cars. So visibility is excellent in all directions, and it is very easy to get in and out all four doors. The interior is basic hard plastic, but there are six cup holders and all controls are easy to reach. Seats in the SL trim are soft and comfortable. Outstanding fuel efficiency - see below.

The 30/38 EPA mpg sedan estimates do not do justice to this car. I also have a Kia Forte rated 26/36 EPA , and the Versa is 9-10 mpg better for the same driver and conditions. We are easy drivers who mostly do speed limits, but I am getting 42 mpg 50% city/ 50 % highway. Note: hatchback is not as good. Front headroom and rear legroom are easily best in class. We fit four adults even with front seats all the way back. No other subcompact is even close. A/C very cold even at low settings. Extended warranty is really cheap if you shop around. Google Santa Rosa CA Nissan and ask your dealer to match their on-line price. We got 8 yrs/100K for $1100. Excellent stereo sound in the SL.

This is not a stylish nor a performance car - hence the poor ratings from most auto blogs. The CVT trans is optimized for fuel efficiency, not performance. So you will start slowly from stoplights and take longer to merge in traffic. There is more wind effect/road corrections at highway speeds because the car is so light. Please test drive on the highway before you buy and make sure your are comfortable. More brake pressure is needed than other cars we drove. The Navigation package is mediocre. It's fully integrated with the audio options and Bluetooth, but doesn't locate many destinations. No auto trunk release options. Hard plastic interior -scratches easily.