2012 Nissan Versa Consumer Reviews 2

2012 Nissan Versa - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Versa model:

2012 Versa Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Nice Surprise
By vvandenburg

2012 Nissan Versa 1.6 SV 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

My son needed a commuter car for college, so I spent days looking for the right vehicle for him. I looked at new cars, used cars, cars on Craigslist and finally I ran across this vehicle at Hertz Car Sales. Most sub compact cars have very little head or backseat leg room, but I was amazed it had enough room, even from a 6-2 guy like me. ItÂ’s phenomenal on gas and was a good value, compared to other vehicles I considered. We just purchased this vehicle, but so far we are ecstatic with the performance and gas mileage

Favorite Features

Gas Mileage

Suggested Improvements

Center fold down arm rest

Bummer
By murrayv

2012 Nissan Versa 1.6 S 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

See "Car and Driver" review here - http://buyersguide.caranddriver.com/nissan/versa for a succinct and accurate description. However don't believe the fuel economy claims. The first time I used this car for a trip, it ran out of gas in only 320 miles at highway speeds. The driver's manual says it has an 11.7 gallon tank. That's only 27 mpg. Also the gas guage cannot be seen in bright sunlight wearing sun glasses, and even without sun-glasses cannot be seen safely while driving. Also the low fuel indication started flashing only 20 miles before the fuel ran out, and I got off the freeway once in a failed attempt to find a gas station in that 20 miles.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Do not drive this car on long trips. Do not even buy one if you want to have a car you can like.

Good car and excellent gas mileage!
By hightechjunkie

2012 Nissan Versa 1.6 SV 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

I recently bought the 2012 Nissan Versa SV with the CVT transmission and let me tell you the CVT takes a while to get used to. There are NO actual gears in a CVT transmission only pulleys and a belt. It seems to hesiate when you step on the gas from a dead stop and that's because it's looking for the right belt/pulley ratio. It's only momentary but you will notice the difference between the CVT trans and a regular 4 or 5 speed trans. Not a bad thing, just something to get used to. it also seems to "downshift" a tad when you let of the gas...again the CVT trying to optimize engine transmission synchronization. Overall I am very happy with the Versa but would like to see minor improvements.

Favorite Features

Incredible gas mileage, good looking, tons of room inside, huge trunk, decent amount of features for the money, great a/c system, cheap to operate and did I mention the killer gas mileage? It's basic transportation and you won't even beat a bicycle in a 0-60 test but it doesn't feel like a compact car.

Suggested Improvements

Need a trunk release button under the rear badge like in older model Versas, chrome accents inside on all models, variable intermittent wipers on all models and a sunroof would be a nice option.

Problems
By desertrat11

2012 Nissan Versa 1.6 S 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

I bought my Nissan versa in august of 20111, 1st thing went wrong trim on top of roof fell off, 2nd needed a air filter I thought, 2nd needed a new transmission, 3rd needed new rear brakes, 4th blew a tire on the freeway and lastly contacted Nissan customer consumer affairs and after 3 weeks of playing phone tag their was not a thing they could do for me. And by the way did I mention that my dealership said I have roadside assistance which is only for a tow up to 100 dollars and a rental

Favorite Features

bluetooth

Suggested Improvements

A new car

Quality like made in china
By harut_1973

2012 Nissan Versa 1.6 SV 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

No reliability!!!! This car is piece of junk. The paint peels off all around the car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even in cracks of lights where you can not reach. Not from physical damage. I went to Nissan dealer for windshield pillar paint peeled off, they said it might by from physical damage. Second time the paint peeled off in crack of back light of Quarter panel, they accept that this is warranty issue but they need 2-3 day for fixing it... and no providing car.... I have problem with door window, but I do not want even call them, they will need 5 days for repair it and I will need to rent a car. Cheaper will be to pay for fix. Even contacting global Nissan do not helped. Do not but this c

Great for sending your kids off to college.
By jttom1994

2012 Nissan Versa 1.6 SL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

My parents got this car for me to drive to school and I love it. Sure its not the fastest of the best looking but its more comfortable than the mustang we traded in, gets way better mpgs and me and all my friebds can fit in it.

Favorite Features

Ipod and bluetooth integration. The roominess and the miles per gallon.

Suggested Improvements

A better interior would be nice but for the price I can't complain.

A Great Way To Save Some Cash
By toddp77

2012 Nissan Versa 1.6 S 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have enjoyed saving cash and driving a manual transmission. I drove a 1983 Nissan Sentra in high school and this car provides some nostalgia for me. This is a very inexpensive vehicle and it shows in several ways that may be deal breakers for some people but reminds me of how much money I saved. The handling and power are sacrificed for savings and fuel efficiency. I was also swayed by the large interior with numerous air bags and better than you would expect safety ratings.

Favorite Features

The fuel efficiency is better than I expected. I have been averaging 36 mpg with little city driving. In 5th gear on a flat road, driving 50 miles per hour will show 50 miles per gallon on the dash indicator. As I drive faster the efficiency drops. I have been enjoying winding up my windows and I am tall enough to use the manual locks for each door while in the drivers seat. If you can live without these features you are saving several thousand dollars. This is the first year the base model Versa came with air conditioning as a standard feature.

Suggested Improvements

The spacious interior and cavernous trunk are fantastic and one of the reasons I purchased this vehicle, though it is filled will cheap plastic. The worst part is the upholstery fabric. It is very cheap and you should plan on immediately purchasing seat covers. The front bucket seats leave something to be desired in terms of support though I am 6'4" and people can still sit behind me easily. My biggest complaint is the lack of a tachometer. I can't believe they produced a manual transmission without one. I have never even heard of this before. With help from a friend with experience working on electrical systems in cars, I was able to install an after market tach for less than $100.

2012 Versa Good design & great value
By medmann48

2012 Nissan Versa 1.6 SV 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

We purchased a 2012 versa SV sedan about 2 months ago & love it so far. I already have a 2009 Versa Hatchback & have had Zero problems with it this last 3 years & drive it EVERY day. I like the design of the new 2012 sedan & chose it because so many sub sompacts are made to be small & sporty. The 2012 Versa sedan is like a small family car with lots of room. It may not be sporty but it has lots of room & the price is right, we have 2 6ft sons who hop into the back seat with no problems, try that in a Yaris or Fiesta, good luck! I still marvel at how nice this car looks, kinda like a smaller version of the Altima or Maxima.

Favorite Features

HUGE backseat leg room rivaling that of a mid size sedan. Attractive classic design for us middle aged folks, kinda of like a small luxury car. HUGE trunk will swallow a large amount of luggace. Fuel economy is awesome!

Suggested Improvements

Center Armrest! This car needs a center armrest! I just bought one off Ebay for my 2009 versa Hatchback & I think the 2012 sedan will be the next to get one.

A Bargain Worth Driving
By sdaigle

2012 Nissan Versa 1.6 SV 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

At the time of writing this, I've owned my 2012 Versa SV sedan for 4mos. and have driven it 11,000 miles. So far, it's been a fantastic little car and I love it! Fuel economy has proven much better than the EPA rating of 30/38. My lowest MPG on a tank was 39 and my highest was 49. Seriously! I have my little quibbles with the car, but what car is perfect, right?

Favorite Features

Comfortable, roomy interior. Although narrow, it feels bigger to drive than it actually is. I appreciate the smooth, relatively quiet, and generally pleasant sounding engine. Not thrashy or raspy like some 4cyl. engines. The CVT is a little quirky, but once you get accustomed to its behavior, it's wonderful. Most appreciated in city traffic, on hilly routes, and during freeway passes. Smooth as butter.

Suggested Improvements

The lack of a folding backseat is a HUGE disappointment for a mid-spec car (SV trim). Yes, even with an entry-level model like the Versa. I, like most people, expect an economy car to be practical. For $16,300 I expect a folding back seat! Thankfully the trunk is BIG and everything I've needed to squeeze in has fit. It's a good thing I don't ski, surf, or otherwise engage in activities that require hauling around long items.

Pleasantly surprised to say the least
By arg76

2012 Nissan Versa 1.6 SV 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

I have a long comute around 110 miles a day and i was getting a little tired of my SUV and it 17mpg, i wanted two things, great fuel economy and no car payment. I looked at the Honda, i looked at the Toyota Yaris and corolla they just felt cheap, then i noticed Nissan were offering the Versa for under 11k. It turned out the 11k version was a manual trans, wind up windows basic stereo and seat cloth that felt like twine, its a new car for 11k i get its not going to be mega luxury, so the dealer showed me the SV version, a little more 16.5k but much nicer interior and CVT box and ipod plug and nicer seats. I drove and bought it that day, amazing mpg more than they claim, and really a great car

Favorite Features

averaging 37.8 mpg, on one two hour freeway drive i set the cruise at 72 mph and got 42mpg, that hybrid fuel economy at a 16k price tag, the seats are really comfortable and i love the ipod plug in feature. Its an extremely smooth ride and i kid you not my back seat passengers had more leg room than in my Envoy Denali. The CVT takes some getting used too, it can rev quite high up hills, but again for 37.8 mpg i could care less, its quiet as a mouse at cruising speed.

Suggested Improvements

i do miss an arm rest i will admit, if checked out after market center arm rests and might invest in one. For some reason the fact the doors dont unlock until i take the key out of the ignition really annoys me, but its hardly a massive deal.