2012 Nissan Versa Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Versa model:
Initial overall value attractive, then a disappointment
By panthers98 on 07/26/14 16:35 PM (PDT)

2012 Nissan Versa Sedan 1.6 SV 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

I bought my 2012 re-designed Versa sedan in November of 2011. Initial overall value appeared excellent, but shortcomings are becoming evident, hopefully they have engineered-out these problems. This was the first vehicle I have owned with an automatic transmission, let alone the CVT, so I opted for an extended warranty. Thank God I did since it had to be replaced at 80K miles. Have replaced every exterior bulb at least once. Tire pressure sensor light goes on and rear right tire goes flat about every 2 weeks unexplained. Plastic dashboard attracts lint like I have a cat sitting up there. CVT/engine combination sounds like it is going to blow up when strong acceleration is needed.

You get what you pay for and then some!
By hightechjunkie on 06/05/14 17:56 PM (PDT)

2012 Nissan Versa Sedan 1.6 SV 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

Ok, ignore all other reviews and pay close attention to this one about the 2012 Nissan Versa Sedan. This is a utilitarian vehicle...no frills and no nonsense. It will not make you grin when you drive it but then again, it's not supposed to. It gets you from a-b very well and very cheaply. It has all of the convenience features you need and none you really don't. It's cheap to operate and in my experience very reliable.

CVT is an issue
By ttheroux on 04/22/14 06:39 AM (PDT)

2012 Nissan Versa Sedan 1.6 SV 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

I run a fleet of vehicles including 5 of these. We typically run our cars between 40k-50k mi. per year. Of the 5, 2 of them had the CVT transmissions fail within the 1st year. One of these now needs a second trasmission replacement at 82K. Our local dealer, Harte Nissan in Hartford, CT, is working with us the best they can with the replacement costs but Nissan is not stepping up to the plate. Nissan knows their CVT's are problematic and have extended their warranties on other years/models, but not this one. I will not be buying any more Nissan's for our fleet. BTW, even when they work correctly, the CVT is a annoying transmission especially with a small, low torque motor.

Good Car at Good Price
By valceanu on 10/21/13 07:26 AM (PDT)

2012 Nissan Versa Sedan 1.6 SV 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

I've had this car and driven it daily for for two years now. I've put 34,000 miles on it in that time. I've had no problems with it. It's solid and reliable. This is a no-frills economy car. It does not handle like a sports car, and it is not as comfortable as a luxury car. But it gets the job done without giving you headaches, and it gets excellent gas mileage. It has a very roomy interior for its size, and it has a huge trunk. I've been averaging between 35 to 39 mpg in all kinds of driving conditions.

Nice Surprise
By vvandenburg on 08/26/13 20:22 PM (PDT)

2012 Nissan Versa Sedan 1.6 SV 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

My son needed a commuter car for college, so I spent days looking for the right vehicle for him. I looked at new cars, used cars, cars on Craigslist and finally I ran across this vehicle at Hertz Car Sales. Most sub compact cars have very little head or backseat leg room, but I was amazed it had enough room, even from a 6-2 guy like me. ItÂ’s phenomenal on gas and was a good value, compared to other vehicles I considered. We just purchased this vehicle, but so far we are ecstatic with the performance and gas mileage

Good car and excellent gas mileage!
By hightechjunkie on 06/25/13 09:07 AM (PDT)

2012 Nissan Versa Sedan 1.6 SV 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

I recently bought the 2012 Nissan Versa SV with the CVT transmission and let me tell you the CVT takes a while to get used to. There are NO actual gears in a CVT transmission only pulleys and a belt. It seems to hesiate when you step on the gas from a dead stop and that's because it's looking for the right belt/pulley ratio. It's only momentary but you will notice the difference between the CVT trans and a regular 4 or 5 speed trans. Not a bad thing, just something to get used to. it also seems to "downshift" a tad when you let of the gas...again the CVT trying to optimize engine transmission synchronization. Overall I am very happy with the Versa but would like to see minor improvements.

Quality like made in china
By harut_1973 on 04/19/13 13:54 PM (PDT)

2012 Nissan Versa Sedan 1.6 SV 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

No reliability!!!! This car is piece of junk. The paint peels off all around the car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even in cracks of lights where you can not reach. Not from physical damage. I went to Nissan dealer for windshield pillar paint peeled off, they said it might by from physical damage. Second time the paint peeled off in crack of back light of Quarter panel, they accept that this is warranty issue but they need 2-3 day for fixing it... and no providing car.... I have problem with door window, but I do not want even call them, they will need 5 days for repair it and I will need to rent a car. Cheaper will be to pay for fix. Even contacting global Nissan do not helped. Do not but this c

2012 Versa Good design & great value
By medmann48 on 12/01/12 19:42 PM (PST)

2012 Nissan Versa Sedan 1.6 SV 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

We purchased a 2012 versa SV sedan about 2 months ago & love it so far. I already have a 2009 Versa Hatchback & have had Zero problems with it this last 3 years & drive it EVERY day. I like the design of the new 2012 sedan & chose it because so many sub sompacts are made to be small & sporty. The 2012 Versa sedan is like a small family car with lots of room. It may not be sporty but it has lots of room & the price is right, we have 2 6ft sons who hop into the back seat with no problems, try that in a Yaris or Fiesta, good luck! I still marvel at how nice this car looks, kinda like a smaller version of the Altima or Maxima.

A Bargain Worth Driving
By sdaigle on 11/29/12 20:21 PM (PST)

2012 Nissan Versa Sedan 1.6 SV 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

At the time of writing this, I've owned my 2012 Versa SV sedan for 4mos. and have driven it 11,000 miles. So far, it's been a fantastic little car and I love it! Fuel economy has proven much better than the EPA rating of 30/38. My lowest MPG on a tank was 39 and my highest was 49. Seriously! I have my little quibbles with the car, but what car is perfect, right?

Pleasantly surprised to say the least
By arg76 on 11/02/12 11:03 AM (PDT)

2012 Nissan Versa Sedan 1.6 SV 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

I have a long comute around 110 miles a day and i was getting a little tired of my SUV and it 17mpg, i wanted two things, great fuel economy and no car payment. I looked at the Honda, i looked at the Toyota Yaris and corolla they just felt cheap, then i noticed Nissan were offering the Versa for under 11k. It turned out the 11k version was a manual trans, wind up windows basic stereo and seat cloth that felt like twine, its a new car for 11k i get its not going to be mega luxury, so the dealer showed me the SV version, a little more 16.5k but much nicer interior and CVT box and ipod plug and nicer seats. I drove and bought it that day, amazing mpg more than they claim, and really a great car

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Nissan Versa Sedan in VA is:

$140 per month*