Used 2012 Nissan Versa 1.6 SV Sedan Consumer Reviews - 26 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Nissan Versa Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Versa model:

BEWARE OF THE 2012 NISSAN VERSA CVT !!!
By Jess B

2012 Nissan Versa Sedan 1.6 SV 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

I have never made an automobile review before but I am so disappointed with this car that I encourage anyone who experienced this to file a class action lawsuit against Nissan. At 64,000 miles the CVT transmission failed. You will be driving on a freeway and the tachometer will start getting wacky. The rpm will jump from 1,000 to 3000 rpm and back. After sometime your transmission will seem to disengage and your rpm will drop to below 1,000 rpm. At that time you are dead! The car will slow down to a halt and even if you press your gas pedal, the engine will not increase rpm. It seems like the cvt transmission is telling the computer to prevent the car from running. I brought this to the dealer and they said they have several problems with Nissan cvt transmission and encouraged us to file our complaints to the Consumer Protection Bureau. I called Nissan and they passed me from one person to another and told me they can't help. They have no solution to the problem other than replace the CVT transmission for $3,000. I told them I never had any car before where I have to replace at transmission at 64,000 miles, 4,000 miles after their warranty expired. It is totally unfair. I reported this to the National Highway Traffic Safety Agency (NHTSA). If our government consumer protection agencies are doing half of their job, no one especially a big manufacturing company should be allowed to get away with this.[non-permissible content removed]

Not Reliable
By Ashley E.

2012 Nissan Versa Sedan 1.6 SV 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

My 2012 Nissan Versa Sedan has 101k miles and the transmission is bad. I have researched and have seen where older Versa models were covered under an extended CVT warranty due to premature transmission failure. Why is this not the case for the 2012? It is completely unacceptable that a 5 year old car bought brand new, maintenanced regularly has a bad transmission. It made me stall and have no power or ability to accelerate in the middle of a busy intersection! It has done this 3 times! My children were in the car! Completely unacceptable. This is dangerous. The CVT is very poorly designed and very unreliable, not to mention dangerous. The Versa has been one problem after another. We had to replace the fuel pump at 60k mileage! That is absolutely ridiculous! This car is extremely poor designed and Nissan is no help, and does not back up its cars. Nissan is not reliable as they were once were in regards to quality and reliability.
Extremely disappointed.

NOT WORTH IT
By palebeachbum

2012 Nissan Versa Sedan 1.6 SV 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

This was my first brand-new car and my first Nissan vehicle. I expected good overall long-term quality. I was severely let down. Within the first 1,000 miles of ownership, squeaks and rattles all around the interior began. Primarily at the passenger side of the dash, the headliner, and drivers door. Constant squeaks and chirps. Very annoying from a brand-new car! Next, the front suspension began squeaking badly. I had Nissan take a look. They found nothing wrong, so I had to live with it. Then, the paint began peeling in a couple of areas. At the A-pillar and also around the rear tail lights. Nissan repaired the paint under warranty. Then the car required replacement of the catalytic converter heat shield replaced twice within my ownership, under warranty. It's clearly a defective part. The transmission NEVER felt right from day one. It made creaking and whistling noises. It was very jerky in operation. It had a lot of behavioral problems. I hated the transmission. Luckily, I got rid of the car before it had a catastrophic failure. The windshield wiper linkage was loosening badly. The wiper arm movement became very disjointed and sloppy. Although the interior was cavernous for such a little car, the ergonomics were terrible. In 2yrs of ownerships, I never found a comfortable driving position. If I adjusted the seat to be a comfortable distance from the pedals, the steering wheel felt too far away. If I adjusted to be comfortable distance from the wheel, the pedals were too close. A telescopic steering wheel would have solved this. More reach is required. Ingress/egress was excellent! The option packaging on this car was comically bad. I owned the mid-spec SV trim. The car was missing some critical features some comparable cars offer in base trim. No split-folding rear seat? No variable intermittent wipers? Only 4 (crumby sounding) speakers for the stereo? Aside from the transmission issues above, other aspects of the engineering were quite poor as well. The steering was horrible. It was terribly light and offered no road feel at all. Trying to drive in a straight line on the interstate was pretty much impossible. The car liked to dart back and forth. Ride quality was very smooth...until you hit a bump, then it just hammered over it. The brakes were excellent. One bright spot to this car's driving dynamics. Acceleration was adequate, but the transmission made it a clumsy, miserable experience. Handling was pretty decent, but the skinny tires didn't have much grip. If you enjoy driving at all, this is not the car for you. It has no personality at all and drives like an appliance. I absolutely do not recommend this model of car new or used. Exceptionally poor quality overall. I was so disappointed in this car I traded it in after only 2yrs and 56k miles.

A Total Disappointment
By Wilma Transou

2012 Nissan Versa Sedan 1.6 SV 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased this Versa in 2013; after about 68,000 miles I started having transmission problems. I was totally frustrated especially after no one would take responsibility for the problem. It is just a disgrace that so many other owners of the same model are having transmission problem as well and there should be a class action lawsuit against the manufacturers of this vehicle!!!!!

Very Unreliable
By dannybrown92

2012 Nissan Versa Sedan 1.6 SV 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased a 2012 Nissan Versa SV certified preowned in September of 2013 with 25k miles. For the first seven months, the car was fine, but after that is when all issues started to occur.

My brakes were making noises when I would hit them. It was a whistling noise. I paid to my rotors resurfaced, but that wasn't the issue. I needed the rear shoes replaced. About four months later, my transmission failed at 34k miles. Right after that, my starter went bad and right after that I needed new brake calipers. Everything accept rotors were under warranty. The car would make weird noises that went undiagnosed. All of these issues occurred before hitting 36k miles. Traded car in after 1 year.