Used 2012 Nissan Versa Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Nissan Versa Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Versa model:

Realistic expectaiton still to much to meet for this car
By manycars1

2012 Nissan Versa Sedan 1.6 S 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

Just hit 68k and the CVT is shot. First thing to give me problems were the breaks at about 12k. From there is was heat shields on the exhaust to door seals. I bought this car to get back and forth to work (150mile round trip). All I expected was a affordable car to get me to and from work at the most reasonable cost. I purchased the Nissan after comparing it to my normally purchased vehicles and it was a better value, it actually exceeded in over all space in a real world comparison to Chevy and Ford. MPG avg is 37.1 but the 10.9 tank.....10 gal usable, keeps me at the gas station every 2 to 3 days. As of now it is dead in my driveway, will not move.

Leg room in the back The same thing that killed my car was also one of the better features. The CVT is pretty close to a lossless transfer of power and there is no lag. This makes the tiny, sluggishly tuned, 1.6L feel like it has a little power band to get you in and out of traffic.

Bigger gas tank and do something to make the CVT more reliable. I am not the only one and Nissan has an history of issues with the CVT, whether it be Jatco.....Nissan owns 75%, or Nissan it is an issue. This is the first new car I purchased that has not made it at least 150k with out a major issue. Very disappointed in this purchase.

Very Unreliable
By dannybrown92

2012 Nissan Versa Sedan 1.6 SV 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased a 2012 Nissan Versa SV certified preowned in September of 2013 with 25k miles. For the first seven months, the car was fine, but after that is when all issues started to occur. My brakes were making noises when I would hit them. It was a whistling noise. I paid to my rotors resurfaced, but that wasn't the issue. I needed the rear shoes replaced. About four months later, my transmission failed at 34k miles. Right after that, my starter went bad and right after that I needed new brake calipers. Everything accept rotors were under warranty. The car would make weird noises that went undiagnosed. All of these issues occurred before hitting 36k miles. Traded car in after 1 year.

terrible
By cgklaskin

2012 Nissan Versa Sedan 1.6 S 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

If I could give this negative stars, I would. This was the first brand new car that we had ever owned. We took such good care of it, changed the oil religiously, did all maintenance, everything we were supposed to. Two years and 80,000 miles later, the car is toast. The transmission is shot and there are so many other problems, the dealership said it was probably not worth fixing. Nissan refused to even discuss any kind of deal. They refused to give the name of the operations manager who refused help. I will never buy another Nissan and will tell everyone how awful they are. Do not buy Nissan.

none

everything

Initial overall value attractive, then a disappointment
By panthers98

2012 Nissan Versa Sedan 1.6 SV 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

I bought my 2012 re-designed Versa sedan in November of 2011. Initial overall value appeared excellent, but shortcomings are becoming evident, hopefully they have engineered-out these problems. This was the first vehicle I have owned with an automatic transmission, let alone the CVT, so I opted for an extended warranty. Thank God I did since it had to be replaced at 80K miles. Have replaced every exterior bulb at least once. Tire pressure sensor light goes on and rear right tire goes flat about every 2 weeks unexplained. Plastic dashboard attracts lint like I have a cat sitting up there. CVT/engine combination sounds like it is going to blow up when strong acceleration is needed.

My company is a contractor to Nissan and I got the car wholesale as their employee. Rear seat is very spacious. Overall ride seems good for a car this size. Gas mileage is good but not what the sticker says. Overall cost to own over 5 years is relatively inexpensive.

Even cars I owned in the 90's had a split fold-down rear seat, this car does not. It is evident to save on production costs Nissan used the cheapest vendors for plastics, etc. Offer an arm rest to the driver. I do not see the benefit of a CVT versus a standard automatic or 5-speed.

You get what you pay for and then some!
By hightechjunkie

2012 Nissan Versa Sedan 1.6 SV 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

Ok, ignore all other reviews and pay close attention to this one about the 2012 Nissan Versa Sedan. This is a utilitarian vehicle...no frills and no nonsense. It will not make you grin when you drive it but then again, it's not supposed to. It gets you from a-b very well and very cheaply. It has all of the convenience features you need and none you really don't. It's cheap to operate and in my experience very reliable.

The trunk is HUGE...great for mobsters. The gas mileage is ridiculously good! Decent ride quality. Decent stereo. Plenty of safety features. Huge amount of head/leg room. Plus, women think I'm loaded when they see me pull up next to them at a light. They have no idea I'm poorer than a refugee.

SLOW and the CVT transmission takes a while to get used to but other than those two it's a pretty good car. Did I say it's EXCELLENT on the petrol???!!!