Used 2012 Nissan Versa Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 6 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Nissan Versa Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2012 Nissan Versa Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Versa model:

Makes me wish for my 20-YO Ford Escorts
By Mike Falcon

2012 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Electric, mechanical, and body integrity no better--and far more costly to repair--that the 20-YO Ford Escorts (sedan and wagon) I formerly drove: ELECTRICAL: nobody in service at the dealership where I purchased the car can figure out why I periodically get shrieking warning blasts from somewhere in (?) the center console: they "never heard" of this (although 5 mins of online research show this reaction is not uncommon); brake, fluid, & all else that should be indicated by warning lights (and inspections) revealed nothing wrong. A/C noisy and barely adequate when the outside temp is over 90 degrees (it;s a roomy interior and would benefit, I think, from a bigger compressor. Had to replace the behind-the-dash fan (for both heating and A/C ) at 55K. Heating: the car's "cool" temp setting on the dash really mean just degrees of very hot air unless the A/C is turned on. The car lacks a temp gauge and oil pressure gauge. MECHANICAL: $250 wanted by the dealer to replace rear brake shoes (drum brakes in 2012? I didn't even think to look). Cracked control arm bushings seems reasonable on a car with 60K, but using parts ordered online, I had OEM struts, rear shocks, all of the control arms, bushings, an alignment, and rear brakes replaced and installed for less than than the dealer wanted to replace the cracked bushings and install new rear brake shoes. Mileage is worse than my auto-transmission Ford Escort STATION WAGON: lucky to get 30 mpg in the Versa at 55 MPH (with cruise control) on a 300-mile flattish stretch of open highway (the wagon routinely got 33-34, and the sedan, at that speed, 34-36). City mileage is horrifying: I'm a "gentle" driver and am not stuck in stop-and-go traffic, but Nissan in "city" driving gets a remarkably low 17-18 MPG. Interesting: there is a two-mile stretch of road I can coast down, and the Escorts reached 55-60 MPH on that mild decline, but the Versa is apparently not as aerodynamic, as it settles in at about 47-48 MPH. The Versa is tall and noticeably easier to get into and out of, however. BODY INTEGRITY and TRIM: laughable. I bought the car when it was two years old, but did not expect the "rubber" window seals to crack and turn brown nor come away and hang down, nor the trim at the front door to come away, nor the metal panel on the body (which the door slips over) to come off. Had none of these problems with the old Escorts. The Versa is noticeably more peppy than the old Escorts, but it's not going to win many races. Factor in the depreciation . . . Ouch! Note that I opt for Mobil 1 synthetic oil, which, I would think, ups MPG a little. Also, I very rarely have a passenger so there is little "extra" weight.

Great in-town car
By Car Nutty

2012 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 SL 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

The Nissan Versa Hatchback is an economical car that is good to use in town (easy to park because of its size) but not a good car for making a long trip. I've been getting about 28 mpg in town and around 32 on the highway. The car is powerful enough to keep up with traffic on the highway but too light weight to feel safe when next to other cars and trucks.

Nothing special, just a good little car
By Micha B

Absolutely Great Car for the money
By Choo Choo Kornitzer

2012 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

We bought new for our son who decided to go to HS a 45 minute drive away. Price and safety features were the reasons for our choice. He put 60K miles on it in 2.5 years. We bought 1 new set of tires and changed the oil. The car was perfect every day and never a minutes trouble and that's with a teenager driving it.

safety reliability low maintenance. Here is the best part! A few days ago our son was in a MAJOR accident with three cars totaled including a new ford explorer and Pontiac grand am. He was not at fault but I will tell you that the sheriff said the car saved him from ANY injury. The entire front engine compartment crumpled and dropped to the ground just like it was designed. My son walked away with a fat lip

The Price reflects the quality
By rarereviewer

2012 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 SL 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

When I purchased my 2012 Versa hatchback, it was the least expensive new car available in North America. And the car is what it is.

On the positive side, the car always started. I consider that a big plus. Also, the interior, which is naturally cheap and flimsy, is designed to feel deceptively roomy.

On the negative side, right after my warranty expired, the keyless entry stopped working on the front doors and the hatchback. The front passenger door and the hatchback wouldn't open at all.
A part in all the doors had to be replaced, and it was a very expensive repair. The dealership decided to do the work free, due to
the car had only been out of warranty for a few weeks.

The best features of the car are the interior design and the fact that the car starts every time. I put 45 thousand miles on the car and had no mechanical issues that prevented me from getting to and from work.

I suggest that Nissan forget about any special bells and whistles, any additional features, and concentrate on somehow using better quality interior materials. Better seat fabrics etc would improve the psychology of driving this car.