Used 2012 Nissan Versa Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Nissan Versa - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Versa model:

Absolutely Great Car for the money
By Choo Choo Kornitzer

2012 Nissan Versa 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

We bought new for our son who decided to go to HS a 45 minute drive away. Price and safety features were the reasons for our choice. He put 60K miles on it in 2.5 years. We bought 1 new set of tires and changed the oil. The car was perfect every day and never a minutes trouble and that's with a teenager driving it.

safety reliability low maintenance. Here is the best part! A few days ago our son was in a MAJOR accident with three cars totaled including a new ford explorer and Pontiac grand am. He was not at fault but I will tell you that the sheriff said the car saved him from ANY injury. The entire front engine compartment crumpled and dropped to the ground just like it was designed. My son walked away with a fat lip

Realistic expectaiton still to much to meet for this car
By manycars1

2012 Nissan Versa 1.6 S 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

Just hit 68k and the CVT is shot. First thing to give me problems were the breaks at about 12k. From there is was heat shields on the exhaust to door seals. I bought this car to get back and forth to work (150mile round trip). All I expected was a affordable car to get me to and from work at the most reasonable cost. I purchased the Nissan after comparing it to my normally purchased vehicles and it was a better value, it actually exceeded in over all space in a real world comparison to Chevy and Ford. MPG avg is 37.1 but the 10.9 tank.....10 gal usable, keeps me at the gas station every 2 to 3 days. As of now it is dead in my driveway, will not move.

Leg room in the back The same thing that killed my car was also one of the better features. The CVT is pretty close to a lossless transfer of power and there is no lag. This makes the tiny, sluggishly tuned, 1.6L feel like it has a little power band to get you in and out of traffic.

Bigger gas tank and do something to make the CVT more reliable. I am not the only one and Nissan has an history of issues with the CVT, whether it be Jatco.....Nissan owns 75%, or Nissan it is an issue. This is the first new car I purchased that has not made it at least 150k with out a major issue. Very disappointed in this purchase.

Very Unreliable
By dannybrown92

2012 Nissan Versa 1.6 SV 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased a 2012 Nissan Versa SV certified preowned in September of 2013 with 25k miles. For the first seven months, the car was fine, but after that is when all issues started to occur. My brakes were making noises when I would hit them. It was a whistling noise. I paid to my rotors resurfaced, but that wasn't the issue. I needed the rear shoes replaced. About four months later, my transmission failed at 34k miles. Right after that, my starter went bad and right after that I needed new brake calipers. Everything accept rotors were under warranty. The car would make weird noises that went undiagnosed. All of these issues occurred before hitting 36k miles. Traded car in after 1 year.

The Price reflects the quality
By rarereviewer

2012 Nissan Versa 1.8 SL 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

When I purchased my 2012 Versa hatchback, it was the least expensive new car available in North America. And the car is what it is. On the positive side, the car always started. I consider that a big plus. Also, the interior, which is naturally cheap and flimsy, is designed to feel deceptively roomy. On the negative side, right after my warranty expired, the keyless entry stopped working on the front doors and the hatchback. The front passenger door and the hatchback wouldn't open at all. A part in all the doors had to be replaced, and it was a very expensive repair. The dealership decided to do the work free, due to the car had only been out of warranty for a few weeks.

The best features of the car are the interior design and the fact that the car starts every time. I put 45 thousand miles on the car and had no mechanical issues that prevented me from getting to and from work.

I suggest that Nissan forget about any special bells and whistles, any additional features, and concentrate on somehow using better quality interior materials. Better seat fabrics etc would improve the psychology of driving this car.

terrible
By cgklaskin

2012 Nissan Versa 1.6 S 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

If I could give this negative stars, I would. This was the first brand new car that we had ever owned. We took such good care of it, changed the oil religiously, did all maintenance, everything we were supposed to. Two years and 80,000 miles later, the car is toast. The transmission is shot and there are so many other problems, the dealership said it was probably not worth fixing. Nissan refused to even discuss any kind of deal. They refused to give the name of the operations manager who refused help. I will never buy another Nissan and will tell everyone how awful they are. Do not buy Nissan.

none