2012 Nissan Versa - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Versa model:
Realistic expectaiton still to much to meet for this car
By manycars1 on 12/09/14 06:35 AM (PST)

2012 Nissan Versa 1.6 S 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

Just hit 68k and the CVT is shot. First thing to give me problems were the breaks at about 12k. From there is was heat shields on the exhaust to door seals. I bought this car to get back and forth to work (150mile round trip). All I expected was a affordable car to get me to and from work at the most reasonable cost. I purchased the Nissan after comparing it to my normally purchased vehicles and it was a better value, it actually exceeded in over all space in a real world comparison to Chevy and Ford. MPG avg is 37.1 but the 10.9 tank.....10 gal usable, keeps me at the gas station every 2 to 3 days. As of now it is dead in my driveway, will not move.

Very Unreliable
By dannybrown92 on 11/05/14 10:26 AM (PST)

2012 Nissan Versa 1.6 SV 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased a 2012 Nissan Versa SV certified preowned in September of 2013 with 25k miles. For the first seven months, the car was fine, but after that is when all issues started to occur. My brakes were making noises when I would hit them. It was a whistling noise. I paid to my rotors resurfaced, but that wasn't the issue. I needed the rear shoes replaced. About four months later, my transmission failed at 34k miles. Right after that, my starter went bad and right after that I needed new brake calipers. Everything accept rotors were under warranty. The car would make weird noises that went undiagnosed. All of these issues occurred before hitting 36k miles. Traded car in after 1 year.

The Price reflects the quality
By rarereviewer on 08/17/14 15:56 PM (PDT)

2012 Nissan Versa 1.8 SL 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

When I purchased my 2012 Versa hatchback, it was the least expensive new car available in North America. And the car is what it is. On the positive side, the car always started. I consider that a big plus. Also, the interior, which is naturally cheap and flimsy, is designed to feel deceptively roomy. On the negative side, right after my warranty expired, the keyless entry stopped working on the front doors and the hatchback. The front passenger door and the hatchback wouldn't open at all. A part in all the doors had to be replaced, and it was a very expensive repair. The dealership decided to do the work free, due to the car had only been out of warranty for a few weeks.

terrible
By cgklaskin on 08/04/14 19:26 PM (PDT)

2012 Nissan Versa 1.6 S 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

If I could give this negative stars, I would. This was the first brand new car that we had ever owned. We took such good care of it, changed the oil religiously, did all maintenance, everything we were supposed to. Two years and 80,000 miles later, the car is toast. The transmission is shot and there are so many other problems, the dealership said it was probably not worth fixing. Nissan refused to even discuss any kind of deal. They refused to give the name of the operations manager who refused help. I will never buy another Nissan and will tell everyone how awful they are. Do not buy Nissan.

Initial overall value attractive, then a disappointment
By panthers98 on 07/26/14 16:35 PM (PDT)

2012 Nissan Versa 1.6 SV 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

I bought my 2012 re-designed Versa sedan in November of 2011. Initial overall value appeared excellent, but shortcomings are becoming evident, hopefully they have engineered-out these problems. This was the first vehicle I have owned with an automatic transmission, let alone the CVT, so I opted for an extended warranty. Thank God I did since it had to be replaced at 80K miles. Have replaced every exterior bulb at least once. Tire pressure sensor light goes on and rear right tire goes flat about every 2 weeks unexplained. Plastic dashboard attracts lint like I have a cat sitting up there. CVT/engine combination sounds like it is going to blow up when strong acceleration is needed.

You get what you pay for and then some!
By hightechjunkie on 06/05/14 17:56 PM (PDT)

2012 Nissan Versa 1.6 SV 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

Ok, ignore all other reviews and pay close attention to this one about the 2012 Nissan Versa Sedan. This is a utilitarian vehicle...no frills and no nonsense. It will not make you grin when you drive it but then again, it's not supposed to. It gets you from a-b very well and very cheaply. It has all of the convenience features you need and none you really don't. It's cheap to operate and in my experience very reliable.

CVT is an issue
By ttheroux on 04/22/14 06:39 AM (PDT)

2012 Nissan Versa 1.6 SV 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

I run a fleet of vehicles including 5 of these. We typically run our cars between 40k-50k mi. per year. Of the 5, 2 of them had the CVT transmissions fail within the 1st year. One of these now needs a second trasmission replacement at 82K. Our local dealer, Harte Nissan in Hartford, CT, is working with us the best they can with the replacement costs but Nissan is not stepping up to the plate. Nissan knows their CVT's are problematic and have extended their warranties on other years/models, but not this one. I will not be buying any more Nissan's for our fleet. BTW, even when they work correctly, the CVT is a annoying transmission especially with a small, low torque motor.

Good Car at Good Price
By valceanu on 10/21/13 07:26 AM (PDT)

2012 Nissan Versa 1.6 SV 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

I've had this car and driven it daily for for two years now. I've put 34,000 miles on it in that time. I've had no problems with it. It's solid and reliable. This is a no-frills economy car. It does not handle like a sports car, and it is not as comfortable as a luxury car. But it gets the job done without giving you headaches, and it gets excellent gas mileage. It has a very roomy interior for its size, and it has a huge trunk. I've been averaging between 35 to 39 mpg in all kinds of driving conditions.

Don't buy this car
By nissansucks69 on 10/15/13 08:27 AM (PDT)

2012 Nissan Versa 1.6 SL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

I could review this car if I could actually use it!! I have not been able to use my car since it was broken since the day they gave it to me. Nissan and its laughable excuse for customer service have had my car for over a 3 weeks and I bought it 4 weeks ago. And they still can't fix it. I have asked for a refund or a new car and they just hang up the phone or redirect me to my contract which basically says "hahaha we screw you over". Listen to this precautionary tale - Don't trust Nissan ever.

Nice Surprise
By vvandenburg on 08/26/13 20:22 PM (PDT)

2012 Nissan Versa 1.6 SV 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

My son needed a commuter car for college, so I spent days looking for the right vehicle for him. I looked at new cars, used cars, cars on Craigslist and finally I ran across this vehicle at Hertz Car Sales. Most sub compact cars have very little head or backseat leg room, but I was amazed it had enough room, even from a 6-2 guy like me. ItÂ’s phenomenal on gas and was a good value, compared to other vehicles I considered. We just purchased this vehicle, but so far we are ecstatic with the performance and gas mileage

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Nissan Versa in VA is:

$140 per month*