ROOMY, LOTS OF PICKUP...
By capergal on
2009 Nissan Versa 1.8 SL 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl CVT)
Really good mileage - lots of pep on the highway. A little concerned with the braking - mine tends to go an extra foot or so before completely stopping even after brake is fully applied. Dealer says there's no problem. Also, the CVT, although supposedly good for mileage, takes some getting used to. I'm still on the fence about that. On inclines, it does help to slow you down without braking, but this feature isn't always helpful on level ground. As soon as you take your foot off the gas pedal, there's little "coasting" - it stops much quicker than any other car I've driven. Not so sure I like this feature.
Favorite Features
Love the roomy interior - lots of leg room. Even the cargo area is spacious considering it's a hatchback. The privacy lid over cargo is nice too. Love the 5 disk cd player! Plenty of cup holders including in the back seat arm rest which can fold down between passengers. I like the look of the exterior as well. Like the in-door storage and cup holders. The gas tank locator arrow next to the warning light is a welcome feature esp. after buying a new car.
Suggested Improvements
The electric mirror switch needs to be moved higher on the panel. Because it is so low down, when I adjust my mirrors and sit back, they need further adjusting. Unless you have arms like an orangutan, this just isn't practical. Centre console is very inadequate - not much room for storing essentials. Cargo nets or pockets on the backs of the front seats would be welcome.
By mjazz
on 08/01/11 15:35 PM (PDT)

I purchased this vehicle used, with 16K miles on it. I drove it for 6k miles in 5 month then a transmission problem occur; the car would not reverse. It first started on the freeway on cruise at 70mph the o/d light comes on but disappears later. Took it to the dealer but they thought there was nothing wrong. A day later at the DMV the car would not reverse. Towed it to the dealer and they found out the transmission was dead. Luckily i still have my warranty so it was replaced. Since i purchased it i notice a sluggish initial acceleration when entering the freeway.