2009 Nissan Versa Consumer Review: Okay drive, but don't get too

2009 Nissan Versa - Consumer Review

Okay drive, but don't get too excited.
By codfish78 on

2009 Nissan Versa 1.6 Base 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this vehicle last summer during the CASH FOR CLUNKERS program. No problem at all so far. With the $4500 discount, $150 additional discount for scrap value, plus the dealer's free destination fee, I paid $5340 plus tax for the basic model. Mine is dark metallic blue with a charcoal interior. I think it looks pretty sharp. The car does all the basics well, but I wouldn't want this to be my only vehicle. I am 6' 4" tall and weigh over 300lbs. and I fit into this car easily. In fact, I find it quite comfortable. If I had to pay sticker price, I would have gone elsewhere. However, for the price I paid, I think this car is quite decent. See my specific likes/dislikes below.

Great interior head and leg room up front. Trunk is pretty large. Tilt wheel, tachometer, and six airbags all standard in base model. Gas mileage average around 33 MPG in mostly rural driving at 40-60 MPH. Gas cap on driver's side helps with less gas station waits. Best of all---CHEAP TO BUY!!!

Gear shifts way too early. You need to be in 4th gear at only 35 MPH. This leads to very noisy engine at higher speeds. Front seats could use more padding. There is no key entrance on driver's side door. So you need to open driver's door to unlock passenger's door. Gear shifter a bit balky.