Used 2009 Nissan Versa Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Nissan Versa - Consumer Reviews

2009 Nissan Versa

View reviews for a specific Versa model:

2009 Nissan Versa 1.5L Sedan w/AC
By BShaffer

2009 Nissan Versa 1.6 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I went out to get a fuel efficient entry level car, and this one is what I landed on. I used to like Toyotas, but in comparison to the 1.5L Yaris, this thing takes the cake. This motor, for what it is, really screams. I drove it through 14 inches of snow without a problem last week, and am getting over 40MPG highway on long trips. My average MPG is around 34. It costs around 7.5 cents per mile for gas, which is better than everything else I own, other than my Harley. I did notice a drop in mileage after the synthetic oil was put in at the dealership at 8000 miles. You're not going to beat too many people at the drag strip in this thing, but it's a nice little car.

Favorite Features

Simple car, no BS. There aren't many vehicles out there that are simple like this. It reminds me of my old '84 Tercel, but with some balls.

Suggested Improvements

Definitely needs a 6th gear or higher final ratio. I find myself starting out in 2nd gear for a smoother ride. I like to go around 90MPH on the highway from time to time, and that puts me over 4000 RPM. The car can handle it OK, but it's not geared for sustained speeds over 80.

Happy with the Versa
By Jason

2009 Nissan Versa 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I bought the car new in July of this year. Am happy with it to date. I don't know about the 1.6, but I find the 1.8 has more than enough power. I do a lot of highway mileage, and the car never has any problem reaching highway speeds. Fuel consumption is Ok... I guess that's the price you pay for having a car with more power and that is slightly larger than the competition. Due to the car's height and it's low weight it tends to get blown around a little on windy days, but again I suppose that is to be expected. I think the interior space is exceptional. My father has a Pathfinder and it has nowhere near the interior room that the Versa has. Overall a nice little car, I would buy another!

Favorite Features

Peppy engine, relatively low engine noise (1.8), convenience package with AC, power windows and keyless entry, interior space, look of the car, handling.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy, standard height adjustment for the front seats, placement of seat levers.

Poor Quality
By Zane

2009 Nissan Versa 1.8 SL 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

We have had our Versa for 2 oil changes and if Nissan had the same program as GM we would give it back. We have had Nissan since there name was Datsun, and this is absolutely the worst Nissan we have had for quality. The basic problem is that most everything that has broken cannot be fixed; as most of them are interment. Two examples; one the serpentine belt squeals – not all the time - not every day; two the CVT belt has a low level gone (low frequency noise), you can sometimes hear when stopped and the radio is off. Both of these problem will only get worse, I just hope they “break” while the car is still under warranty.

Favorite Features

Room

Suggested Improvements

Hire some QC techs at the plant,

Still Happy
By dvkiel

2009 Nissan Versa 1.8 SL 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased the Versa 14 months ago and am just now approaching 9000 miles on it and so far I have not had any issues with the vehicle. I am getting a very consistent 29-31 mpg commuting around town. Haven't taken it on any long trips as yet but would expect the mpg to be very good.

Favorite Features

Keyless intelligent entry is great, Bluetooth hands free phone service is veryy convenient The CVT transmission is very smooth and enjoyable.

Suggested Improvements

Center console arm rest is a not practical at all and needs to be raised as well as made longer. Electric mirror adjustment button is placed very poorly for ease of use. Rear seat not fully able to fold flat is a poor design. Radio display is hard to see in the daylight. Need daytime running lights.

Dissapointing new car
By Alan Magnes

2009 Nissan Versa 1.6 Base 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought 1.6 versa without air conditioning or radio. After purchase I find out that there is no kit to add air conditioning. I dont know about the 1.8 versa but this 5 speed has the engine turning at 3000 rpm at 60mph,sounds like it is ready to blow up at highway speed. I am very dissapointed overall and will get rid of this thing before the warm weather.

Favorite Features

Inside room, it is comfortable to sit in and easy to get in and out.

Suggested Improvements

Gear it higher so it does not feel like it is always in 3rd gear. Make a kit so that air conditioning can be added.