Used 2009 Nissan Versa Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Nissan Versa Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Versa model:
Nice car
By Eric on 11/08/08 12:32 PM (PST)

2009 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

The car is comfortable, peppy, and quiet. Fun to drive. Very easy to clutch and shift. The back seat is very roomy, more than you would expect. The pros rate it as just a blah, so-so car. But they always compare it to another one that is 2-4 thousand more. It seems they do not have to listen to their bank account telling them a little compromise is OK. About the only thing you have to get used to is that on the highway, doing 65-70 mph, even in 6th gear, the engine RPM are about 3K, so you always think you still have to upshift.

Steering Wheel problem, rattling noise
By nick on 11/08/08 04:17 AM (PST)

2009 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Steering wheel rattles everytime I enter exit driveways, bumpy parking lots, when turning left and right. I have this being checked since the first two months of my maintenance and no one could fix it. I think this is a factory defect parts. Services in 2 dealerships have failed my satisfaction already. I have email Nissan Canada, nobody seems to care. So I from now on, after that I could dispose this vehicle, no more Nissan for me. That's it. I'd rather buy a bit higher priced car than with this brand.

Not what I am use to
By Kristee on 10/29/08 18:29 PM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 SL 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

I just got my Versa 8 days ago and have already put over 900 miles on it. So far so good! I have always driven a truck or SUV and was very concerned about going to a smaller car. So far I like the Versa. It rides nice and has some nice features. The seats are comfortable and the car seems very quiet. I test drove 5 other cars in its class from other makers and the versa was by far the best one in its price range.

So far so good
By New Nissan Owner on 10/24/08 09:55 AM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 SL 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

Well, I traded in my previous vehicle of 6 years, a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500. Do I really need to say more here? I've only owned the car less than a week but this car is terrific. It's exactly what I was looking for. I was between this and the Honda Fit. The view from the Fit's drivers seat felt like you were too far back-it just felt uncomfortable. Anyway, going from a vehicle with a mpg rating of 15/11 to 33/27 is certainly going to have an impact on my trips to the gas pump (or lack there of), not to mention how much less it will cost me per fill up. I'm very pleased with it's roominess, and the 1.8L CVT engine has more pep than most people will think. Spend the extra $$ for the SL if you can!

First Nissan Ever
By dvkiel on 10/11/08 08:08 AM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 SL 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

Bought the Versa over the Toyota Matrix (have one already) because of standard features on the Versa. This Versa becomes the wifes car and I get the Matrix. I've had the Versa for one week now and have a little over 100 miles on the car, all city driving. Gas gauge still on full. Car is very quiet and smooth running, CVT is very nice and very quiet. No estimate of MPG yet but am hoping for at least the stated average at this point for city/hwy driving. Great economical car thus far with many great features and good design and style.

My first Nissan ever
By dkiel on 10/08/08 16:23 PM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 SL 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

After having owned a Toyota Echo and a Toyota Matrix I decided to give the Nissan Versa a try. So far I must say that initially I am impressed by the smoothness of the CVT and the get up and go of the 4 cyl eng. Overall the interior is nice but the front seat armrest is a total useless joke. It is not high enough or long enough to lay your arm on. Hope they fix that in upcoming models. Haven't it it long enough to evaluate the gas mileage but hopefully it will fulfill the commuter car requirements around town and the occasional out of town trip. Good little car for the money.

Great Car
By Jennings12 on 09/29/08 18:50 PM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

We got the S Model with the power pack option, including cruise control, power windows, power locks, keyless remote entry. This is a really well-designed car. The interior is extraordinarily roomy and comfortable and looks and feels great; there is lots of cargo capacity; the sound system is great; the mileage is good; the air conditioning seems very efficient and has lots of different adjustment options; the ride is decent for a smallish car; the exterior (I got the sapphire blue) is snappy; lots of safety features. I actually look forward to driving to and from work.

Second Versa and love it...
By donotoe on 09/21/08 17:41 PM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Had a 2007 Versa and loved it, so got a 2009... great commuter car. Just want a reliable comfortable car with good MPG and got it. So much room inside, it is really unbelievable - 350 lb. passenger in back seat was very comfortable. Two-hour drive on hills, no problem... performance was great. Plenty cargo room since interior so spacious.

First Nissan
By fenderbass on 09/08/08 12:17 PM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I always avoided considering Nissans going back to the Datsun days (B210s). When I checked out the Fit, Yaris, and Accent in looking for a simple good mileage car, I almost ignored the Versa, being biased against Nissan. I did my homework on all the above cars and kept on coming back to the Versa as the best overall value. When the dealer finally had a 2009 s 6 spd available, I made the jump and after the first 1500 miles, am very glad I did. So far it's a great little car that's fun to drive. I tend to keep cars (last car 1995 Saab 9000 with 305,000 miles) and felt the engine would hold up better than the Fit or Yaris over 100,000 miles.

Love it
By Marisa on 09/08/08 05:22 AM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 SL 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

This car has been a pleasure to own and drive. I have a long commute every day and this vehicle very comfortable-- smooth ride, spacious, comfy seats, low cabin noise. This car has TONS of trunk/storage room, way more than I expected and also has lots of head room. It does great with gas mileage and has plenty of pick-up on the highway. The SL is definitely worth the extra money. It has a much nicer interior and a center console (S does not).