2009 Nissan Versa - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Versa model:
Nice car but little bit TOO basic
By ShortnSassy on 08/09/09 02:56 AM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Versa 1.8 SL 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

We already have a car payment, so we decided to get just the basic Versa with only air condition and auto transmission add-ons. When it comes to Nissan's 'basic', be careful because there are a few things we didn't notice until after buying the car. No way to adjust the side mirrors from inside, no clock and the thing that we were most disappointed about is, there is no key hole on the passenger side. You can't unlock the door from the passenger side! What if someone parked so close to your driver's door that you couldn't get in? Well, then your out of luck because there's no other way to get in the car.

y'all come on now
By worldismine on 08/08/09 21:37 PM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Versa 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I am at 9000 miles at just 6 months. so you know I am driving this car. I drive 42 miles round trip to work and take trips when I can. I love this car. It is 90 degrees now and I am comfortable with the air. I have only driven it on setting three once or twice. I usually drive with it on the first setting after letting the hot air out. I have moved an office in it so I know it has plenty of space. It is very comfortable for anyone sitting in the back. I drove 211 miles at 85 miles without stopping and got good gas mileage and made really great time. This will get you where you want to go. It might not be the fanciest car out there but for the price. It is hard to beat. Artic Blue my fav!

best by far in it's price range
By thorman944 on 08/06/09 20:28 PM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Versa 1.8 S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

After looking at the Versa Basic (Base+A/C) with Auto trans and ABS and nothing else (not even a radio) with MSRP of $12,965, my wife and I decided to purchase the $15,8xx 'S' model because it included a very nice $1,250 rebate AND had a higher markup between invoice and MSRP which allowed us to get a better deal. We wound up spending $1200 to get the upgraded interior, the upgraded engine, power locks/windows/doors, keyless entry, stereo, floor mats, cruise control,and alloy wheels. Basically $3000+ worth of features for $1,200. We love the car and wound up paying $14,200 at carmax. With the CARS program we got $4,650 for our 1985 dodge and the Versa S only cost us $9,550.

Just two Problems, brakes and start Eng
By GreenPlanet on 08/06/09 07:18 AM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Versa 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2009 Nissan Versa SL in May 09 to replace 07 Santa Fe truck. I was looking for a more fuel economy car. The car has about 1600 miles now. I notice the the steering wheel pulsates as you brake and come to a complete stop, don't know if there something wrong with the ABS. I also have a problem starting the car with long crank or multiple crank. I have an appointment for this weekend so hopefully they can address these two issues. MGP not as good as advertise or other people are getting here. It could be due to the fuel pressure regulator.

Regretting not getting the SL
By sewdiverse on 08/05/09 13:03 PM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Versa 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Have just had the S Hatchback for a week and just filled up yesterday. 250 city miles on initial tank. Now, I am OCDing about not getting the SL because I am regretting not having the CVT for the many hills on my daily commute. I drove Hondas for 22 years, lastly a 1995 Odyssey until 180,000 miles. I guess I miss the heaviness of that van and the fact that it seemed to downshift on hills requiring less braking. This Versa S if fine except when going down winding hills until I get used to the difference. Any suggestions? I am trying to shift into 2nd gear upon descent and that helps decrease the need to brake as much. Will I get over not having the CVT? Everyone loves the roominess.

Good Car and Great Price
By Kentucky owner on 08/03/09 06:24 AM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Versa 1.6 Base 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the 1.6 base model. My out of pocket was 5400 dollars + Tax after the cash for clunkers deal. It is nice not to have a loan to worry about and have a 3 year warranty. That is my biggest rave about this car. I drive about 2 miles to work and back as well as running errands around town. So far this car is doing what I expect it to do. It handles well in the city, has good pick up. It is very utilitarian which is exactly what I wanted. Great commuter car (so far) I am looking for a very low total cost of ownership. Basically I drove my last car for free and I hope I can do the same for this one.

Clunker's dream car
By ktong on 08/03/09 05:11 AM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Versa 1.8 SL 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

Bought this yesterday with my Clunker's trade-in incentive of $4500. It also carries a manufacturer rebate of $1750 for SL, totaling a saving of $6250! Its' hard to beat that. In order to maximize my Clunker's incentive, I needed a car that has 28 mpg or better. It's hard to find one without going hybrids which can easily cost over 20K. This one fits my bill perfectly. Actually not all Versa have 28 mpg or better, just the 1.6 engine or the 1.8 engine with CVT. Unfortunately, with such saving programs in place, the whole dealership was jammed with customers. I had to buy the car in pretty much MSRP price and with extras loaded. So far, the car is fun to drive and handles well.

I always love Nissans
By danblackracing on 07/31/09 07:47 AM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Versa 1.6 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

This is my first "new" car. I have always bought older custom datsuns and other sports cars so my review may be different. I bought a 09 versa base for the rain and winter, but wound up putting custom rims and a few other goodies on it. Being nissans official rally racing car you can feel the agility. Great performance for 9990. I know, I drive fast cars. I didnt expect this versa to handle this well out of the box. It has the usual chinsey plastic inside for a low cost Nissan but otherwise great car. Amazing room. Fun to drive. Great on gas.

Would not buy another one
By Zane on 07/19/09 16:54 PM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Versa 1.8 SL 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

I have had the Versa for about 4 months; I would not buy another one. This car has been back to the dealer several times to fix small problems. It has several flaws that are important to me. One the AC is undersized for Florida, when out in the heat you need to put the air flow to recycle to keep the cabin cool. Although the noise level when running is the lowest of the other cars I test drove; it is the loudest car I ever be in when you accelerate. Last but not least. The driver’s side window wiper is about twice the size of the passenger side, and it throws its water on to the passenger side. Thus in the rain the passenger side is never clear.

So far, so good
By Joseph Stewart on 06/14/09 08:04 AM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Versa 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

My '09 Versa 1.8S HB (6-speed stick) is almost a year old and I am quite happy with it. I've had oil changes and the whole car checked over every 3750 miles per Nissan's advice. MPG isn't what I'd hoped (my former car, a Dodge Neon with a larger engine and an automatic got 30 mpg), I am getting mid-twenties in town and low thirties on the highway. Which isn't bad anyway, right? I put new custom rims on (black), other than that the car is stock. I am waiting on a part from Nissan to fix the plastic shroud around the battery which inexplicably tore loose somehow. I have had no mechanical issues such as some of those reported here. Once the tach hits 3000 rpm watch out, the car takes off!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Nissan Versa in VA is:

$119 per month*