Used 2009 Nissan Versa Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Nissan Versa - Consumer Reviews

2009 Nissan Versa

View reviews for a specific Versa model:

Does it's Job...
By sigmaman99

2009 Nissan Versa 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Got this as a 2nd car for my 70 mile daily commute. Very basic car with no frills or excitement. For such a small car with a small engine I expected better gas mileage. Driving about 75 mph on the highway gets me about 27 mpg. Upgraded the stereo to a Pioneer DEH-6400BT because I needed hands-free bluetooth and iphone connectivity. Install on this car was very easy. Very impressed with the legroom. Overall this car does it's job which is get me to work and back.

Favorite Features

Decent MPG, easy to upgrade stereo, nice body style, lots of leg room, lots of cargo room with the rear seats down

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage, rear seats fold all the way down parallel to the cargo area, arm rest standard, better looking interior

first_time_user
By 033277

2009 Nissan Versa 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I just replaced my 2001 Ford Explorer Sports Trac with 225k miles, its the best move I have ever made. Presently, I'm going to average a little over 30 miles to the gallon...considering the winter conditions of WI and commuting. Big relief at the wallet! Reliability time will tell; will post more...

Favorite Features

Hatchback, 60/40 split seat, good visibility, good power, comfortable...

Suggested Improvements

Work on quaility of interior...little minor things. e.g. door handle cloth came loose, but dealer will fix.

Accident Prone
By ameliaclaire

2009 Nissan Versa 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I was recently in a terrible wreck in my Versa. The car was totaled and all I suffered was a broken nail from the air bag. This car is incredibly safe and comfortable! As soon as I found it was totaled I told my mom that I needed help looking for another one, possibly a newer one. I absolutely love my Versa!

Favorite Features

It was extremely roomy and easy to get it in and out of. I had plenty of room for multiple carseats in the back when needed. There is also plenty of leg room so it was great when a group of us adults went out too. It is also really easy to maneuver (parallel parking, and small areas). Even though it is tiny, there is plenty of room inside. I was able to move myself in and out of college almost completely on my own (minus the furniture of course).

Suggested Improvements

I really wish I had had the extras such as the Ipod input on the stereo. Other than that it was wonderful!

ROOMY, LOTS OF PICKUP...
By capergal

2009 Nissan Versa 1.8 SL 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

Really good mileage - lots of pep on the highway. A little concerned with the braking - mine tends to go an extra foot or so before completely stopping even after brake is fully applied. Dealer says there's no problem. Also, the CVT, although supposedly good for mileage, takes some getting used to. I'm still on the fence about that. On inclines, it does help to slow you down without braking, but this feature isn't always helpful on level ground. As soon as you take your foot off the gas pedal, there's little "coasting" - it stops much quicker than any other car I've driven. Not so sure I like this feature.

Favorite Features

Love the roomy interior - lots of leg room. Even the cargo area is spacious considering it's a hatchback. The privacy lid over cargo is nice too. Love the 5 disk cd player! Plenty of cup holders including in the back seat arm rest which can fold down between passengers. I like the look of the exterior as well. Like the in-door storage and cup holders. The gas tank locator arrow next to the warning light is a welcome feature esp. after buying a new car.

Suggested Improvements

The electric mirror switch needs to be moved higher on the panel. Because it is so low down, when I adjust my mirrors and sit back, they need further adjusting. Unless you have arms like an orangutan, this just isn't practical. Centre console is very inadequate - not much room for storing essentials. Cargo nets or pockets on the backs of the front seats would be welcome.

Best affordable car ever.
By knot2b4got10

2009 Nissan Versa 1.8 S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I picked the Nissan Versa because of how comfortable it was, because it was several thousand cheaper than any comparable car (say the honda fit) and because of the insane amount of room on the inside. Even though it feels like a compact car, I feel like I have the space of a small SUV. I'm not sure what people are talking about it being not fun to drive. Anyone that has driven my car has mentioned how great my car handles and it has great pick up. I feel like I zip and zoom in it. I would recommend this car to anyone who does not want to fork over a bunch of money for bells and whistles but wants the most practical and comfortable car for the price.

Favorite Features

Seat cushions, amount of space.

Suggested Improvements

Would like to see automatic locks, windows, and ABS in the base model of the car.