Used 2009 Nissan Versa Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Nissan Versa - Consumer Reviews

2009 Nissan Versa

View reviews for a specific Versa model:

Most Helpful|
Great MPG, Quiet, Comfortable, Quality
By Kraken

2009 Nissan Versa 1.6 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Brand new 2009 Nissan Versa 1.6L / 5spd Sedan. Miles per gallons is underrated. With a combination of freeway and city street driving we are getting over 40 miles per gallon as an average. 400+miles with only 10 gallons of gas! So on the highway the mileage is probably well over 40mpg. This 1.6L sips gas even with the A/C on. Not only that but this 1.6L engine accelerates pretty well for it's size. Is surprisingly roomy for it's size as well. Fits 4 adults comfortably. Handles well, very much like a VW Golf or similar. Quiet engine and quiet ride.

Favorite Features

40+MPG Comfortable to driver or ride even for a large male. Good quality for it's price range. Quiet engine and quiet ride.

Suggested Improvements

Different gearing for the 5spd so RPMs are lower at highway speeds or make 6spd standard. Make CD players, Anti-lock, and A/C standard, not options.

Engine Knock, High Winding transmission
By Christine Bowyer

2009 Nissan Versa 1.8 S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car new, after 637 miles car engine started knocking. High winding transmission noises. Been in the shop for 28 days, serviced 4 times. Changed 6 different parts, then they had to install a new engine. New engine still knocks, Nissan will no longer honor warranty with only 13,000 miles. So am in Arbitration w/ BBB AUTOLINE. Hopefully this will get resolved. Other than all that car is cute, economic about 27-33mph.

Favorite Features

Sporty

Suggested Improvements

Need to improve on engine performance

Steering Wheel problem, rattling noise
By nick

2009 Nissan Versa 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Steering wheel rattles everytime I enter exit driveways, bumpy parking lots, when turning left and right. I have this being checked since the first two months of my maintenance and no one could fix it. I think this is a factory defect parts. Services in 2 dealerships have failed my satisfaction already. I have email Nissan Canada, nobody seems to care. So I from now on, after that I could dispose this vehicle, no more Nissan for me. That's it. I'd rather buy a bit higher priced car than with this brand.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Fix all problems related with the built of the car, and parts availability

The Worst Vehicle I Have Ever Owned
By mandj123

2009 Nissan Versa 1.8 SL 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

I have had this vehicle for almost 2 years now and from the moment I bought it I have had problems. It has been to the dealer multiple times, and when I say multiple I mean way too many to count. I have had start up issues since I bought the vehicle, which leads me to believe that the fuel pump is bad, I have alignment problems, I have a car alarm that works sometimes but not at other times, the material on the interior doors has been falling off for some time now, the car makes noises when I turn, and worst of all and most recent the piece of junk is having transmission problems at just 25,000 miles and the dealer cannot fix it. I hate this car, don't think of buying one its a nightmare.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is the gas mileage, when the car actually works

Suggested Improvements

Remove the vehicle from production and give everyone their money back that bought one.

Plagued With Problems
By Kathryn

2009 Nissan Versa 1.8 SL 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

I bought my 2009 Nissan Versa SL about 6 months ago. About a month after purchase, the AC starting making loud rattling noises. Brought it to the dealership to be fixed with no success. Had to argue with the dealer just to get them to even look at the car again, and 2 months later and after 2 more drop-offs that problem appears to be solved by replacing the entire AC system. A few weeks after this incident, the car starts having trouble turning over. The dealer replaces the Fuel Pump Regulator, which solves the problem for about 6 weeks. Today, the car is back in the shop with the same issue again. Already considering getting rid of it, despite the loss I would take. NOT RECOMMENDED.

Favorite Features

The car is cute and I love the keyless entry.

Suggested Improvements

Everything except the appearance - this is the worst car I have ever owned. The biggest suggestion is to make a car that actually works and does not need to be in the shop every other week.