Used 2009 Nissan Versa 1.6 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Nissan Versa Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Versa model:

Nissan Versa Sedan Great Car
By john cooke

2009 Nissan Versa Sedan 1.6 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it the end of March 2009. Just wanted cheap transportation with good gas mileage. Got it. More room than anyone would imagine for a small car. I get 33 MPG in the winter and consistently 37 in the summer. My wife has a Honda Civic. I like the Nissan better. Great car.

Room. Gas mileage. Comfort for a small car. Relatively high seats. You're not sitting on the floor.

None for the money.

2009 Nissan Versa 1.5L Sedan w/AC
By BShaffer

2009 Nissan Versa Sedan 1.6 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I went out to get a fuel efficient entry level car, and this one is what I landed on. I used to like Toyotas, but in comparison to the 1.5L Yaris, this thing takes the cake. This motor, for what it is, really screams. I drove it through 14 inches of snow without a problem last week, and am getting over 40MPG highway on long trips. My average MPG is around 34. It costs around 7.5 cents per mile for gas, which is better than everything else I own, other than my Harley. I did notice a drop in mileage after the synthetic oil was put in at the dealership at 8000 miles. You're not going to beat too many people at the drag strip in this thing, but it's a nice little car.

Simple car, no BS. There aren't many vehicles out there that are simple like this. It reminds me of my old '84 Tercel, but with some balls.

Definitely needs a 6th gear or higher final ratio. I find myself starting out in 2nd gear for a smoother ride. I like to go around 90MPH on the highway from time to time, and that puts me over 4000 RPM. The car can handle it OK, but it's not geared for sustained speeds over 80.

underated
By jj

2009 Nissan Versa Sedan 1.6 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my versa for the most part for the price and also the room. I am 6'3" tall, and it is difficult to find a comfortable small car. The Versa fits the bill. We liked the Versa so much that three months later we purchased another, this time the HB. Love them both. If you have the extra money- spring for the power option, my 1.6 has only A/C and it is very inconvenient to have no power locks or windows, although a small price to pay, for such a solid built, fuel efficient, comfortable car at that price.

PRICE $$

The ability to unlock the passenger side door from the outside.

Great MPG, Quiet, Comfortable, Quality
By Kraken

2009 Nissan Versa Sedan 1.6 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Brand new 2009 Nissan Versa 1.6L / 5spd Sedan. Miles per gallons is underrated. With a combination of freeway and city street driving we are getting over 40 miles per gallon as an average. 400+miles with only 10 gallons of gas! So on the highway the mileage is probably well over 40mpg. This 1.6L sips gas even with the A/C on. Not only that but this 1.6L engine accelerates pretty well for it's size. Is surprisingly roomy for it's size as well. Fits 4 adults comfortably. Handles well, very much like a VW Golf or similar. Quiet engine and quiet ride.

40+MPG Comfortable to driver or ride even for a large male. Good quality for it's price range. Quiet engine and quiet ride.

Different gearing for the 5spd so RPMs are lower at highway speeds or make 6spd standard. Make CD players, Anti-lock, and A/C standard, not options.

Cash for Clunkers Buy
By Dave Shane

2009 Nissan Versa Sedan 1.6 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I got the Versa Sedan 1.6 with 5 speed manual transmission and A/C with ABS through the "Cash for Clunkers" program. I wanted the least expensive car out there that had A/C and that an adult could fit into. I've owned Nissan's before and I know they make a better product. This car is made for practical adults. It has plenty of safety features and a lot of interior room. The truck is very roomy for vacation travel. For the kid in me, I do enjoy winding it up and going through the gears. It isn't a speed demon but I can get through traffic with ease if I'm running late.

I purchased the Versa in August 09 in South Carolina. The temps are in the high 80's to low 90's. The A/C works well and keeps the car cool, if not just plan cold. Even with the A/C running all the time at full blast, the car got 29 MPG on the first tank of gas in city driving.

1) The front seats take some getting used to. They are not that comfortable to me. They need more padding. 2) The horn is a little squeaker. I replaced mine with the one from my "clunkers" trade-in. 3) A key hole is needed on the passenger side. 4) Put gas tank on the Driver's side.