2009 Nissan Versa Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Versa model:
Cheap Materials
By pinoybboy2004 on 05/09/14 21:02 PM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 SL 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

Broken Springs Besides the fact that I overpaid for a whopping 3 year warranty the effort of Nissan to rectify any portion of this incident is non existent. It is sickening to think when I am driving that such a poor quality product is considered acceptable by Nissan. There are several complaints on forums and other consumer websites reporting this same safety issue with Versa springs sheering off completely. Don't let your family drive a Versa.

ROOMY, LOTS OF PICKUP...
By capergal on 07/19/11 09:41 AM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 SL 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

Really good mileage - lots of pep on the highway. A little concerned with the braking - mine tends to go an extra foot or so before completely stopping even after brake is fully applied. Dealer says there's no problem. Also, the CVT, although supposedly good for mileage, takes some getting used to. I'm still on the fence about that. On inclines, it does help to slow you down without braking, but this feature isn't always helpful on level ground. As soon as you take your foot off the gas pedal, there's little "coasting" - it stops much quicker than any other car I've driven. Not so sure I like this feature.

very reliable
By Anonymous on 12/06/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 SL 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

i've owned this car for 5 months i like the cabin space its as large as some mid sized cars, the engine is very peppy no problem getting on the hgwy. however it could use some storage other than the glove box , and the armrest is woefully inadequate,with that said ive yet to reach gas mileage north of 30 mpg oh and the seats are very firm. overall a good car ,but i really love the cvt transmission a big departure from small cars , the way it pulls thru the gears seamlessly.

The Worst Vehicle I Have Ever Owned
By mandj123 on 09/23/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 SL 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

I have had this vehicle for almost 2 years now and from the moment I bought it I have had problems. It has been to the dealer multiple times, and when I say multiple I mean way too many to count. I have had start up issues since I bought the vehicle, which leads me to believe that the fuel pump is bad, I have alignment problems, I have a car alarm that works sometimes but not at other times, the material on the interior doors has been falling off for some time now, the car makes noises when I turn, and worst of all and most recent the piece of junk is having transmission problems at just 25,000 miles and the dealer cannot fix it. I hate this car, don't think of buying one its a nightmare.

No gas mileage
By Curious on 05/12/10 20:48 PM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 SL 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

We just bought this vehicle new off the dealers lot. It had 57 miles. We now have 620 miles and have filled up 3 times already. It is rated at 32 highway and 24 city. Most of the mileage is highway so I would expect better than 19 mpg. The dealership says it has to break in to get better gas mileage. I have several trips planned in this car that will cost a fortune buying all this gas.

Same songe, two Versa(s)
By DD on 02/05/10 12:24 PM (PST)

2009 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 SL 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

I bought my son a 2007 Versa Hatchback about a week ago; I loved it. I bought one for myself two days ago, a 2009 with 6k on it, with every option but a skating rink! (No fog lights, really.) The car has smooth acceleration and deceleration, good cornering, and is wonderfully quiet. Of all the small cars I looked at--Matrix, Corolla, Scion XB, XD, Nissan Sentra--the Versa has the very best leg room in the back. I just filled up yesterday, so I'm not sure about gas mileage I'll get.

Very Happy
By New to Nissan on 01/27/10 20:45 PM (PST)

2009 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 SL 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

Purchased new 6500 miles ago. Used mainly as a commuter and around town car. Not a single problem so far.

Poor Quality
By Zane on 12/03/09 09:23 AM (PST)

2009 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 SL 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

We have had our Versa for 2 oil changes and if Nissan had the same program as GM we would give it back. We have had Nissan since there name was Datsun, and this is absolutely the worst Nissan we have had for quality. The basic problem is that most everything that has broken cannot be fixed; as most of them are interment. Two examples; one the serpentine belt squeals – not all the time - not every day; two the CVT belt has a low level gone (low frequency noise), you can sometimes hear when stopped and the radio is off. Both of these problem will only get worse, I just hope they “break” while the car is still under warranty.

Still Happy
By dvkiel on 12/02/09 00:45 AM (PST)

2009 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 SL 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased the Versa 14 months ago and am just now approaching 9000 miles on it and so far I have not had any issues with the vehicle. I am getting a very consistent 29-31 mpg commuting around town. Haven't taken it on any long trips as yet but would expect the mpg to be very good.

Great affordable car
By CJ & Rich on 11/07/09 08:22 AM (PST)

2009 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 SL 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

We replaced our old Ford F 150 extended cab with the new Versa. Our other Vehicle is a 2001 Ford F250 crew cab, so going small was a big issue for us. We were used to having lots of room. We have had our Versa for 3 months. So far, we love it. It is very comfortable especially for it's size. We recently took a 700+ mile trip down to Florida in it. We are not little people by any stretch of the imagination, yet we were quite comfortable. Gas mileage was a strong 36 to 38 miles to the gallon....we love that!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Nissan Versa Hatchback in VA is:

$128 per month*