Used 2009 Nissan Versa 1.8 S Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Nissan Versa - Consumer Reviews

2009 Nissan Versa Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Versa model:

Sad to post...
By jasonmontreal

2009 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

For 50,000 km (about 30,000 miles) my Versa was perfect. Then one day the problems started.... 1) Car started to make diesel-like noise every time I accelerated. I took it to the dealer and they informed me there was a crack in the pistons. Result=a new engine at 50,000 km 2) Air conditioning pump failed about 5,000 km later. Dealer repaired under warranty 3) The final draw was this week, when the car wouldn't start and left me stranded in a parking lot at night. I had the car towed to the dealer where I learned that the fuel pump was finished. As the car is out of warranty, repairs were $700 I signed for a Toyota Corolla yesterday, and I feel like a huge weight has been lifted.

Favorite Features

This is a very comfortable car to drive, with nice seats and tons of rear leg room. The stereo and air conditioning (when it works) are also excellent. The car also offers a lot of cargo room when the rear seats are folded flat. The manual transmission is nice to operate, and the car is very quiet on the highway.

Suggested Improvements

Before I begin, I fully understand that lemons exist in the auto industry and that I very well may have a lemon. However: 1) Build quality. These cars are particularly not suitable to Canadian winters. They are built for freeway driving in Orange County. The paint scratches very easily and the interior is rickety when you drive over potholes 2) Reliability (see review section). The 14 year-old Mazda I replaced with this vehicle is still going strong, while the Versa is practically falling apart 3) Fuel economy is very sub-par for the category. On average, the car gets about 9.5L/100 km (22mpg) If you're in the market for a small hatchback, I suggest looking at Honda, Toyota or Mazda.

Consider instead of paying for the H
By DenverDailyDriver

2009 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I'm not sure where car magazines got it into their head that the premiere concern of most drivers is 'fun'. Fun driving in a stop-and-go city you probably mean gunning it to the next light and cutting people off. Whee! You want fun, Mazda 3 makes more sense. For those of us who have commute on a city grid and not pick of a stable of autos, the Versa does great and is probably a better fit than the Fit. Edmunds admits in their Fit review: "However, more comfort-minded consumers may better appreciate the Nissan's quieter cabin, cushier seats and higher available feature content." I saved myself $3000 over Fit prices, have more horsepower and more torque, and a 7 yr ext. warranty.

Favorite Features

Quiet for commutes, 30 mpg city. Stereo in the S sounds great, controls obvious. Cargo area very versatile, more room than the Fit (the 2009 Honda specs include passenger seat down driving space. Really, guys?) Deep glove box and convenient storage area above radio.

Suggested Improvements

Antilock brakes should be standard on all cars; shame on Nissan for making them optional. EZ to access auxilliary port for portable mp3 player use should also be standard in this day and age. Wider and deeper cup holders.

Great car after 1 year
By jason438

2009 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I wrote a review a while ago, and thought I would follow-up one year later. I love this car more and more with each day! I live in Montreal, and the car handled very well on slippery roads in the winter. Thanks to the high ground clearance, it is also very good at getting through snow. Fuel economy is not as good as a Fit or a Yaris, but it has definitely improved since the car was broken it. Air conditioning is very cold, and this car is always comfortable to drive. Absolutely no problems to report after 1 year and 38,000 km (23,750 miles)

Favorite Features

Air conditioning, leg room, overall comfort, peppy engine, height of driving position, reliability, exterior appearance

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy should be a little better, considering the 6th speed

Great car so far only 6 months in
By Aidan

2009 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Compared to my former car a late 90's escort this is a whole different class of vehicle lol. Acceleration is good with the manual even with the A/C on. Cabin is very nice, roomy and mostly quality plastics are used. I don't like the A/C/Heat knobs they feel weak. Tons of storage with the back seats down. I'm getting on average 30 mpg best is around 32 worst being 28! Stereo is decent as are the speakers, glove box has tons of storage & there are tons of other places to hide stuff! Overall for what I paid I feel I got more than what the competition had on offer if you just want to go from home to work and back. Even on the interstate this car was comfortable, solid and quiet at speed.

Favorite Features

The cabin even though it's basic it is for the most part quality for the price paid there isn't better to be had. Stock stereo is decent as are the speakers all 4 of them! I really like the 6 speed manual transmission.

Suggested Improvements

I originally wanted a black 1.6 with A/C and power option but was told no because there was only one they could find just like that on the east coast! The base model seems to be out there for marketing if anything, reality is the dealership wants you in something more expensive!

Happy with the Versa
By Jason

2009 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I bought the car new in July of this year. Am happy with it to date. I don't know about the 1.6, but I find the 1.8 has more than enough power. I do a lot of highway mileage, and the car never has any problem reaching highway speeds. Fuel consumption is Ok... I guess that's the price you pay for having a car with more power and that is slightly larger than the competition. Due to the car's height and it's low weight it tends to get blown around a little on windy days, but again I suppose that is to be expected. I think the interior space is exceptional. My father has a Pathfinder and it has nowhere near the interior room that the Versa has. Overall a nice little car, I would buy another!

Favorite Features

Peppy engine, relatively low engine noise (1.8), convenience package with AC, power windows and keyless entry, interior space, look of the car, handling.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy, standard height adjustment for the front seats, placement of seat levers.