2009 Nissan Versa - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Versa model:
Sad to post...
By jasonmontreal on 02/08/13 02:42 AM (PST)

2009 Nissan Versa 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

For 50,000 km (about 30,000 miles) my Versa was perfect. Then one day the problems started.... 1) Car started to make diesel-like noise every time I accelerated. I took it to the dealer and they informed me there was a crack in the pistons. Result=a new engine at 50,000 km 2) Air conditioning pump failed about 5,000 km later. Dealer repaired under warranty 3) The final draw was this week, when the car wouldn't start and left me stranded in a parking lot at night. I had the car towed to the dealer where I learned that the fuel pump was finished. As the car is out of warranty, repairs were $700 I signed for a Toyota Corolla yesterday, and I feel like a huge weight has been lifted.

Consider instead of paying for the H
By DenverDailyDriver on 10/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Versa 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I'm not sure where car magazines got it into their head that the premiere concern of most drivers is 'fun'. Fun driving in a stop-and-go city you probably mean gunning it to the next light and cutting people off. Whee! You want fun, Mazda 3 makes more sense. For those of us who have commute on a city grid and not pick of a stable of autos, the Versa does great and is probably a better fit than the Fit. Edmunds admits in their Fit review: "However, more comfort-minded consumers may better appreciate the Nissan's quieter cabin, cushier seats and higher available feature content." I saved myself $3000 over Fit prices, have more horsepower and more torque, and a 7 yr ext. warranty.

Great car after 1 year
By jason438 on 07/17/10 04:33 AM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Versa 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I wrote a review a while ago, and thought I would follow-up one year later. I love this car more and more with each day! I live in Montreal, and the car handled very well on slippery roads in the winter. Thanks to the high ground clearance, it is also very good at getting through snow. Fuel economy is not as good as a Fit or a Yaris, but it has definitely improved since the car was broken it. Air conditioning is very cold, and this car is always comfortable to drive. Absolutely no problems to report after 1 year and 38,000 km (23,750 miles)

Great car so far only 6 months in
By Aidan on 05/29/10 10:49 AM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Versa 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Compared to my former car a late 90's escort this is a whole different class of vehicle lol. Acceleration is good with the manual even with the A/C on. Cabin is very nice, roomy and mostly quality plastics are used. I don't like the A/C/Heat knobs they feel weak. Tons of storage with the back seats down. I'm getting on average 30 mpg best is around 32 worst being 28! Stereo is decent as are the speakers, glove box has tons of storage & there are tons of other places to hide stuff! Overall for what I paid I feel I got more than what the competition had on offer if you just want to go from home to work and back. Even on the interstate this car was comfortable, solid and quiet at speed.

Happy with the Versa
By Jason on 12/03/09 11:16 AM (PST)

2009 Nissan Versa 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I bought the car new in July of this year. Am happy with it to date. I don't know about the 1.6, but I find the 1.8 has more than enough power. I do a lot of highway mileage, and the car never has any problem reaching highway speeds. Fuel consumption is Ok... I guess that's the price you pay for having a car with more power and that is slightly larger than the competition. Due to the car's height and it's low weight it tends to get blown around a little on windy days, but again I suppose that is to be expected. I think the interior space is exceptional. My father has a Pathfinder and it has nowhere near the interior room that the Versa has. Overall a nice little car, I would buy another!

New Nissan Versa
By Mike on 08/25/09 10:26 AM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Versa 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

My Wife and I bought a Nissan as our first car in 1983. It was a Stanza and was a horrible car. We never considered Nissan again until I found this Nissan Versa. I wanted a fun car for errands and commuting and the Fit and Yaris were too small. We looked at used cars but found that a new 2009 Versa was actually a better deal than a used car. I love the way it rides, it holds my carpoolers well, the standard radio/CD player is great, it is peppy and holds plenty of groceries in the hatch. While in this car I am 57 years young, taking me back to my college days. My Wife wanted black and frankly speaking it looks as expensive as an Audi or similar small expensive car.

versa hatchback 1.8 manual
By john on 06/04/09 16:30 PM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Versa 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Have 4000 miles on barebones, manual locks, windows, 6 speed hatchback. AC is strong enough for Florida summer. Quick enough for highway merging. Comfortable seating, front and rear. Very good visibility, this and crash rating were seller for me. Paid 13500 out the door including tags and taxes . Also included dealer installed cruise control. Only negative is that 1st gear is sometimes hard to find.Have driven sticks for last 20+ years and have never had this problem before. Wife feels gearing is too short between gears as well. OVERALL happy with purchase but would have liked ABS. bundling would increase price by $2000.

I love my versa
By Lisa on 05/15/09 11:06 AM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Versa 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I just love my versa. What a fun car to drive. Averaging 26mpg - less than advertised 40mpg - but still am satisfied. Very comfortable, even on long trips. Ample room in the trunk area - and I'm always loading it up with Costco bulk purchases! Two repair problems so far and I'm still under 2000 miles. Driver door lock would not unlock manually, and I needed a new fuel pump after experiencing difficulty starting the vehicle. I've read on a number of forums that this is a problem for many, however Nissan has not issued a recall, just a service bulletin. Despite this, I just love the car and would recommend it to anyone.

I love my Versa
By pantherhawk27263 on 02/14/09 19:14 PM (PST)

2009 Nissan Versa 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I bought my Versa at the end of September, 2008. I love everything about it. I've had only one problem (a faulty gas cap causing the check engine light to come on) and I have only two things I could complain about. 1) I would like a lock that can be opened with the key on the hatch door, and 2) the heater/defroster seems to take longer to warm up than any other car I've owned. Item 1 could probably be solved by having power locks, but I didn't want them so I have to unlock the driver's door to unlock the hatch. I also disagree with reviews complaining of a lack of performance. I can't keep this car at the speed limit! I have a manual transmission, so that may the difference. Buy one these!

Nissan Should Be Ashamed
By Disappointed on 01/22/09 19:09 PM (PST)

2009 Nissan Versa 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

This is my first new car, it has been driven for a year and I am considering trading it in. For a buyer that was supposedly making an upgrade from a 295,000 mile 1991 Toyota Previa I am truly disappointed. The car has been in the shop for major repairs like a malfunctioning A/C condenser, and braking problems. I never had such problems with my Previa. The engine knocks pretty loud in the mornings too. Needless to say, this was one of the worst cars I've bought, and I cant get rid of it because the resale value on the Nissan Versa and Nissan Sentra drop like a stone once you drive them off the lot

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Nissan Versa in VA is:

$123 per month*