2009 Nissan Versa - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Versa model:
Good on gas
By Dave on 10/26/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Versa 1.6 Base 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Bought vehicle new based on price and estimated mileage. So far, has been extremely reliable, comfortable for a small car and actually somewhat fun to drive. For a small car, it actually is quite large and has an underpowered engine. But that's where the fun comes in. Keeping the engine in the optimum rpm range for performance and economy is a game I play. If you really know how to drive a manual it's a kick. The biggest benefit of all is the gas mileage. I've kept track since new and I'm averaging over 35 mpg. That's combined driving not highway. The only negative thing I have to say about this car is that the air conditioning is not cold enough for my liking.

Love my Versa
By Love my Versa on 09/03/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Versa 1.6 Base 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

First time ever buying a car and a new driver. I love the way my versa rides. It is comfortable. I can see everything around me and I only have to fill my tank I also look good in it. Good Job Nissan!

1.6 base sedan review
By brkrotke on 06/27/10 18:50 PM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Versa 1.6 Base 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car for about six months now, and haven't had any issues. I average 35 mpg with 75% city/ 25% highway, which is great in my opinion. Feels refined when you drive it, and it shifts smoothly. I'm 6'4" and I fit perfectly inside.

Okay drive, but don't get too excited.
By codfish78 on 02/02/10 10:11 AM (PST)

2009 Nissan Versa 1.6 Base 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this vehicle last summer during the CASH FOR CLUNKERS program. No problem at all so far. With the $4500 discount, $150 additional discount for scrap value, plus the dealer's free destination fee, I paid $5340 plus tax for the basic model. Mine is dark metallic blue with a charcoal interior. I think it looks pretty sharp. The car does all the basics well, but I wouldn't want this to be my only vehicle. I am 6' 4" tall and weigh over 300lbs. and I fit into this car easily. In fact, I find it quite comfortable. If I had to pay sticker price, I would have gone elsewhere. However, for the price I paid, I think this car is quite decent. See my specific likes/dislikes below.

best buy in the market
By 8995.00 on 01/11/10 15:34 PM (PST)

2009 Nissan Versa 1.6 Base 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This is an unbelievable value. quiet, smooth shifting, comfortable, economic and tight little car. I purchased it to keep the miles off my diesel truck, but my daughter liked it so much she kept it for her graduation gift. No problems, no repairs. I guess I will have to purchase another one for me.

Dissapointing new car
By Alan Magnes on 11/23/09 13:15 PM (PST)

2009 Nissan Versa 1.6 Base 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought 1.6 versa without air conditioning or radio. After purchase I find out that there is no kit to add air conditioning. I dont know about the 1.8 versa but this 5 speed has the engine turning at 3000 rpm at 60mph,sounds like it is ready to blow up at highway speed. I am very dissapointed overall and will get rid of this thing before the warm weather.

Versatile Versa
By MetallicMoment on 09/08/09 14:40 PM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Versa 1.6 Base 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Traded in my old 1995 Nissan 4X4 king cab for the 2009 Versa 1.6 L sedan with ABS and AC (cash for clunkers) The Versa is very comfortable, quiet, and very peppy on the road. Happy to have the AC and the ABS, no radio though. I got 400 miles on the 13.2 gallon fuel tank, not too shabby and that is with the AC on and in a lot of stop and go traffic. Looked at the Yaris but it was more expensive and not as comfortable or quiet and considerably less roomy. The Honda Fit was also less comfortable and less roomy plus more expensive. The Versa may not be flashy looking but it covers all the bases and then some.

Good Car and Great Price
By Kentucky owner on 08/03/09 06:24 AM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Versa 1.6 Base 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the 1.6 base model. My out of pocket was 5400 dollars + Tax after the cash for clunkers deal. It is nice not to have a loan to worry about and have a 3 year warranty. That is my biggest rave about this car. I drive about 2 miles to work and back as well as running errands around town. So far this car is doing what I expect it to do. It handles well in the city, has good pick up. It is very utilitarian which is exactly what I wanted. Great commuter car (so far) I am looking for a very low total cost of ownership. Basically I drove my last car for free and I hope I can do the same for this one.

40 mpg inexpensive commuter
By Friederich on 03/05/09 11:11 AM (PST)

2009 Nissan Versa 1.6 Base 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car last December. I have a blue 1.6 sedan, manual transmission; AC & ABS. That is all you need!!!...In this consumer oriented society, we have gotten used to wasting money...well I commute every day 37 miles each way...in city traffic. My Versa just turned 3K and my fuel average is 40 mpg!!! so on a cost per mile basis this is as good as it gets...sure I had to spend $200 bucks to install a nice CD & HD radio, but the car already came with 4 speakers and antenna pre-wired. So far the car has been absolutely trouble free...yes I have to exercise my arm just a bit to manually lower the window at drive thru's and garage gates...and I had to manually adjust my side view mirror

It is what it is...
By 3xNissanOwner on 02/28/09 19:34 PM (PST)

2009 Nissan Versa 1.6 Base 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Driving a 2000 Sable last summer when gasoline hit $4/gallon made me swear to replace it with a fuel-efficient car when it died. Now I am two weeks into owning this car and can report that the MPG is wondrous, I drove nearly 400 miles on the first tank of gas. The 5- speed stick makes for a ton of fun although the car gets noticeably buzzy above 70 mph and 5th doesn't feel like it should be the last upshift. This is not a problem around town where the car zips around like Yorkshire terrier hunting for mice, but I can't say I'm looking forward to interstate driving at high speed with this car. But what most owners say is true: This car feels a lot larger than it is.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Nissan Versa in VA is:

$120 per month*