Used 2009 Nissan Versa 1.6 Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Nissan Versa - Consumer Reviews

2009 Nissan Versa

View reviews for a specific Versa model:

My 2009 has been great
By rock2014

2009 Nissan Versa 1.6 Base 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new - actually right off the truck - in 2009. I drive 100 miles round trip to work each day, and now have about 155,000 miles. The car has needed nothing but routine maintenance - because I baby it, we're still on the original brakes. My wife and two daughters preferred traveling in this instead of our Ford Taurus - more roomy, especially in the back. Bottom line - especially if you're looking for what Edmunds calls a reliable "appliance" car, I've never had anything better than this.

Good on gas
By Dave

2009 Nissan Versa 1.6 Base 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Bought vehicle new based on price and estimated mileage. So far, has been extremely reliable, comfortable for a small car and actually somewhat fun to drive. For a small car, it actually is quite large and has an underpowered engine. But that's where the fun comes in. Keeping the engine in the optimum rpm range for performance and economy is a game I play. If you really know how to drive a manual it's a kick. The biggest benefit of all is the gas mileage. I've kept track since new and I'm averaging over 35 mpg. That's combined driving not highway. The only negative thing I have to say about this car is that the air conditioning is not cold enough for my liking.

Love my Versa
By Love my Versa

2009 Nissan Versa 1.6 Base 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

First time ever buying a car and a new driver. I love the way my versa rides. It is comfortable. I can see everything around me and I only have to fill my tank I also look good in it. Good Job Nissan!

Favorite Features

Good mileage, Look goo

Suggested Improvements

Arm rest

1.6 base sedan review
By brkrotke

2009 Nissan Versa 1.6 Base 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car for about six months now, and haven't had any issues. I average 35 mpg with 75% city/ 25% highway, which is great in my opinion. Feels refined when you drive it, and it shifts smoothly. I'm 6'4" and I fit perfectly inside.

Favorite Features

Low price, refinement, mpg

Suggested Improvements

Lower gearing for the highway (3k rpm @ 60 mph) Because it sounds like I'm over-revving the engine at that speed.

Okay drive, but don't get too excited.
By codfish78

2009 Nissan Versa 1.6 Base 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this vehicle last summer during the CASH FOR CLUNKERS program. No problem at all so far. With the $4500 discount, $150 additional discount for scrap value, plus the dealer's free destination fee, I paid $5340 plus tax for the basic model. Mine is dark metallic blue with a charcoal interior. I think it looks pretty sharp. The car does all the basics well, but I wouldn't want this to be my only vehicle. I am 6' 4" tall and weigh over 300lbs. and I fit into this car easily. In fact, I find it quite comfortable. If I had to pay sticker price, I would have gone elsewhere. However, for the price I paid, I think this car is quite decent. See my specific likes/dislikes below.

Favorite Features

Great interior head and leg room up front. Trunk is pretty large. Tilt wheel, tachometer, and six airbags all standard in base model. Gas mileage average around 33 MPG in mostly rural driving at 40-60 MPH. Gas cap on driver's side helps with less gas station waits. Best of all---CHEAP TO BUY!!!

Suggested Improvements

Gear shifts way too early. You need to be in 4th gear at only 35 MPH. This leads to very noisy engine at higher speeds. Front seats could use more padding. There is no key entrance on driver's side door. So you need to open driver's door to unlock passenger's door. Gear shifter a bit balky.