Used 2009 Nissan Versa Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Nissan Versa - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Versa model:

Happy driver
By essdee

2009 Nissan Versa 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

We bought the Versa in 2009 in the cash for clunkers program in exchange for an Previa (which had served us very well for 18 years and 225,000 miles) and have done about 30,000 varied miles in the Nissan. It has been trouble free, pretty economical, easy to park in little spaces, a good load carrier and enjoyable to drive. Interior space is generous and the seats are very comfortable but the stowage space around the driver is a bit limited and there is not really anywhere to rest your elbows. Overall build quality is high but the plastic around the heater controls has started to rot. I also find the blue "cold engine" warning light unnecessary and at night easy to confuse with high beam.

Interior space, reliability, soft seats, pretty quiet, the dark blue exterior and charcoal interior never seem to show the dirt.

An arm rest with storage space between the front seats.

My 2009 has been great
By rock2014

2009 Nissan Versa 1.6 Base 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new - actually right off the truck - in 2009. I drive 100 miles round trip to work each day, and now have about 155,000 miles. The car has needed nothing but routine maintenance - because I baby it, we're still on the original brakes. My wife and two daughters preferred traveling in this instead of our Ford Taurus - more roomy, especially in the back. Bottom line - especially if you're looking for what Edmunds calls a reliable "appliance" car, I've never had anything better than this.

Cheap Materials
By pinoybboy2004

2009 Nissan Versa 1.8 SL 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

Broken Springs Besides the fact that I overpaid for a whopping 3 year warranty the effort of Nissan to rectify any portion of this incident is non existent. It is sickening to think when I am driving that such a poor quality product is considered acceptable by Nissan. There are several complaints on forums and other consumer websites reporting this same safety issue with Versa springs sheering off completely. Don't let your family drive a Versa.

Hatchback, Gas Mileage, Steering Wheel Layout

Springs, Sensors, Wheel Hubs, Stock Tires, Warranty, Customer Service, Warranty.

Sad to post...
By jasonmontreal

2009 Nissan Versa 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

For 50,000 km (about 30,000 miles) my Versa was perfect. Then one day the problems started.... 1) Car started to make diesel-like noise every time I accelerated. I took it to the dealer and they informed me there was a crack in the pistons. Result=a new engine at 50,000 km 2) Air conditioning pump failed about 5,000 km later. Dealer repaired under warranty 3) The final draw was this week, when the car wouldn't start and left me stranded in a parking lot at night. I had the car towed to the dealer where I learned that the fuel pump was finished. As the car is out of warranty, repairs were $700 I signed for a Toyota Corolla yesterday, and I feel like a huge weight has been lifted.

This is a very comfortable car to drive, with nice seats and tons of rear leg room. The stereo and air conditioning (when it works) are also excellent. The car also offers a lot of cargo room when the rear seats are folded flat. The manual transmission is nice to operate, and the car is very quiet on the highway.

Before I begin, I fully understand that lemons exist in the auto industry and that I very well may have a lemon. However: 1) Build quality. These cars are particularly not suitable to Canadian winters. They are built for freeway driving in Orange County. The paint scratches very easily and the interior is rickety when you drive over potholes 2) Reliability (see review section). The 14 year-old Mazda I replaced with this vehicle is still going strong, while the Versa is practically falling apart 3) Fuel economy is very sub-par for the category. On average, the car gets about 9.5L/100 km (22mpg) If you're in the market for a small hatchback, I suggest looking at Honda, Toyota or Mazda.

Economic Car Great for a College student
By seunghyeon00

2009 Nissan Versa 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

First of all if your looking for a reliable car with great room interior AND small yet not feeling crushed in this is the car for you. I got this car from my parents in high school and I have been driving it ever since. I had it since 09 and no problems I take it to the dealer to get it serviced and my baby has not let me down.

What I really like is the space. I am a big guy and really didn't want an SUV because its too much gas. WELL THIS CAR does the job.

Some improvements would be some integration of GPS and find a way to make the car a little faster. Other wise it is perfect!!!