2008 Nissan Versa 1.8L 4-cyl. 6-speed Manual Consumer Review - Nice Car Poor Mileage

2008 Nissan Versa - Consumer Review

1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4-cyl. 6-speed Manual)

Nice Car Poor Mileage
By Mike Mikesell on

2008 Nissan Versa 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I have 13,000 miles on this car. The average MPG is 29.71 for all miles driven. The average for level freeway with cruise control and observing the posted limit is 27.22 MPG. The only reason I get 29.71 MPG is because I drive some hills on my normal commute and I coast whenever possible. I also coast to stops in neutral to maximize fuel economy. My other car a 2000 Saturn SW2 which has a 1.9L DOHC engine gets 34 MPG average since it was new 314000 miles ago. The Versa has been to the dealer 3 times; twice for minor issues and today for a CV boot replacement (clamp missing from original boot). The cruise control has an annoying habit of speeding up and slowing down when going down hill.

Favorite Features

Rear seat leg room and headroom. Safety features with lots of airbags and even active headrests to reduce whiplash.

Suggested Improvements

Center arm rest, sun visors that actually block the sun on the side. I am 6'3" and sit all the way back which makes the visor useless. Why would anyone build a car that requires one to remove the intake manifold to change the spark plugs??? Improve mileage, my lowest 26.5 MPG, highest 33.3 MPG.