2008 Nissan Versa - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Versa model:
Loved my Versa for the first 2 years...now...not so much
By beatchic on 10/01/13 23:31 PM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Versa 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Off the bat the first year I took it into the dealer multiple times before they replaced the fuel pump and I think there was a recall at the time. The muffler and exhaust system rod severed at 3 years. The horn quit at 3-4 years. The visor fell off, the rubber sealing around the doors fell off and the fabric around the back door peeled off. Lots of discoloration on the turn signal bar and other levers. Was told by mechanic that this is a Renault with a Nissan Logo on it.

Love it! A few problems, but it's great for the money!
By andresama3 on 05/26/13 19:31 PM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Versa 1.8 S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I've got over 105,000 miles and I've never had the alignment problems people keep mentioning. I did however have the muffler problem at about 95000 miles which is longer than most people got hah. The manual recommends a spark plug change at 105k but I started to notice it needed changing around 90k. I've never had it stop or lockup in traffic and I actually get BETTER gas mileage than what's posted. 24 city/30 hwy 27 hybrid was what the dealership sold it as; I usually get about 30-35 hybrid driving. But I do my best to drive it right though, make sure my tires are inflated and do maintenance on time. I got it new in 2008 and drive it A LOT!

NEVER HAD AN ALIGNMENT PROBLEM
By anthony87 on 05/05/13 06:10 AM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Versa 1.8 SL 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

I have read these reviews and I have to wonder if the people that have had alignment problems are just hitting too many potholes. I have over 70k on my car and have only had one alignment and I know it was due to the terrain. Nothing flimsy about this car. It's been an excellent car, I drive a lot and I highly recommend it. It's held up extremely well, no mechanical problems at all. I think it's all in how you drive.

A Fool is born everyday
By kpcole on 06/14/12 10:54 AM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Versa 1.8 SL 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

Yes, I'm the fool. I wish I could go back and get the Honda Fit I originally wanted but didn't get b/c Honda wouldn't come off $1,000 from the price. I purchased the 2008 Nissan Versa and have hated it from the 1st week of ownership. 64,000 miles and the windows won't go up and down smoothly, When accelerating going up an entry ramp to the hwy, I lose MPH and the RPM's redline. I have to pull over on the shoulder of the highway at 5:00pm traffic, put it in park, then back to drive to reset it. Only to have it happen again going up a hill slowly. Sometime I have to push the petal to the metal (floorboard) just to get it to move! And the steering wheel gets loosey goosey when I lose the MPH's.

Nissan....not again!
By grublet22 on 01/02/12 18:56 PM (PST)

2008 Nissan Versa 1.8 SL 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

I have been driving this vehicle from brand new from September 2007 and I very disappointed that at 68,000 miles, I have been nickled and dimed to death with vehicle. Tires replaced twice due to the super poor alignment! I have had it realigned twice now, working on a 3 rd time. Muffler rusted through and had to have that repaired. Now I am dealing with the fuel injectors.....just had to put out $350 to have them cleaned and coolant flush. Rear door seal falling off. Break lights needed replaced by mechanic because the average person can't do it by themselves.This will be my 1st and last Nissan.

The worst car ever...
By ramo1 on 12/25/11 16:26 PM (PST)

2008 Nissan Versa 1.8 S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

The build quality of this car is really poor, the lens of the transmission console fell off (?), the front driver side splash guard came off on the road, the decorative cover of the driver side door lock came off for no reason, and the entire exterior door handle itself came fell off a few months later. These are items that hardly ever break down on any car. I addition I had to replace oxygen sensors at just 50 K miles, and exhaust pipe at just 56 K miles. After being a loyal Nissan customer (I owned Stanza, Quest, and Sentra in the past) I will never buy a Nissan again. I wonder what happened to the Nissan quality...it is not there anymore.

Very pleased with the cost-benefit
By jefffleming61 on 11/29/11 03:11 AM (PST)

2008 Nissan Versa 1.8 SL 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

I bought this as a "first car" for my daughter in 2008. Honestly, either my wife or I would like to drive it full time! We took a family of 4 on a weeklong beach trip (10 hours one way drive). It was amazingly comfortable and zippy even with 4 adult passengers. My wife calls it the 'zip zap'. The CVT makes it accelerate like a golf cart (on steroids). Just puss the gas pedal and off it goes as fast or as slow as you want. No herky jerky gear changes. As a teenager, my daughter just puts gas in it and goes. We haven't been back to the shop for any reason other than normal maintenance. I'm very, very happy with this vehicle.

Review after 69,000 miles
By me124 on 11/25/11 22:57 PM (PST)

2008 Nissan Versa 1.8 S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I have wrote a review 2 years ago on this Versa and was please then and must say I am still.I bought my Versa in March of 2008 and brand in and the only problem I had in 67,000 miles was the tires worn out at 28,000 miles.I changed the oil every 4000 miles and the car ran like a champ all the time.I live in Denver Colorado and go to the mountains all the time and the Versa had no problems going up the Mountains at 7000 to 10,000 ft.I was very pleased with every thing about this car but the gas mileage it got 23 or 25 in the city and did better on the hwy around 30mpg.Today is 11/24/2011 and I went and sold the Versa and got $8000 for it with 67,000 miles and payed new $13,900.

We've had more bad times than good
By jpease3984 on 10/12/11 06:08 AM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Versa 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

We bought this car brand new. In three years we have replaced 6 tires, and we buy good quality tires. The car needs an alignment more often than normal. We had to replace the fuel pump (the car just died on the middle of a busy highway). Now we are replacing the entire muffler system because it has rotted. We have done routine tune ups, oil changes, and have taken good car of this car. The power windows don't work in cold weather, they go down but don't go back up. Overall we give this car a 2/5 stars. It does hail alot of stuff which we like and gets good gas milage.

08 Versa Hatchback (CVT)
By alan600 on 04/05/11 13:44 PM (PDT)

2008 Nissan Versa 1.8 SL 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

Overall, I have been very happy with the car. It handles well, is easy to drive and has a lot of interior room and comfort. Good value too. The one caveat is that my transmission failed after 40,000. It was replaced under warranty with no problems. I am not sure how common this is or if I was just unlucky. Since the replacement transmission was installed the car has run great. The gas mileage estimates are not as high as stated by Nissan.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.