Used 2008 Nissan Versa Consumer Reviews - 163 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Nissan Versa - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Versa model:

Liked the 2007 so much I bought a 2008!
By Big Jim

2008 Nissan Versa 1.8 SL 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

What I missed on the 07, I added on the 08---ABS, Bluetooth, Steering wheel audio controls, and other goodies. At 33,000, I have had absolutely no problem of any kind with the vehicle. I'm 6 foot 6 inches tall, and fit fine in the car even with a 36 inch inseam. Most of my combined city/highway driving averages 32 mpg, and running 60 on the highways a consistent 36. At 70 mileage drops to 30. A wonderful surprise was the extension to 10 year/12000 miles on the CVT tranny. Bluetooth is perfect for handsfree, and handling is responsive w/electric assist. Great 'off the line' acceleration. Biggest beef is fairly poor stopping ability on ice/snow. The Continentals will be replaced.

Fuel economy, dealer/service, bluetooth, handling, head/legroom, seating and height adjustment, CVT, warranty extension, build quality, ABS, great visibility with few blind spots,center arm rests in front AND rear, BIG trunk for a small car, tremendous seats for big people, great acceleration

Even premium sound system is so-so, straight axle in rear results in wheel hop over tar strips, find a way to make those back seats fold flat, how about a full sized spare rather than a doughnut, noisy engine above 3000 rpm, better tires for winter traction, standard ABS instead of option, rear discs

A Sporty yet Sophisticated Vehicle
By shaynalp

2008 Nissan Versa 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I am a first time car buyer. My parents had bought me a Toyota for my first car, and I had been driving my dad's Lexus for a time. I decided to take my chances on a Nissan since my best friend's whole family loves, and drives, Nissans. I love the sporty look of the Versa. It has the large interior space of a mid-size sedan with the agile steering of a compact vehicle. The power is great for a 1.8L engine. However I did notice, as another reviewer had, the high RPMs at such a low speed. Every other 4 cylinder vehicle I have driven would be at 3,000 RPMs at 80 MPH- not 65 MPH like this vehicle. I thought it would affect gas mileage, but I have not seen any evidence of it.

The seats have great lumbar support, which was important for me since my lower back arches deeply. The interior doesn't look cheap, even with my base model. The large windows provide great visibility with next to no blind spots. Passengers have plenty of head & leg room in front, as well as the back

I would prefer a better stereo system. Call me picky, but it sounded like I had a blown speaker when I only had the bass +2 (+5 max). At 0 it sounds perfectly fine though. Also could use more storage space. There is no center console or arm rest but the glove compartment is a decent size.

For the money, can't beat it!
By Jeff

2008 Nissan Versa 1.8 SL 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

This car is patterned after the Renault Tida, which is a staple in the European market. We took 4 grown adults on a beach trip and easily accommodated everyone (and luggage) comfortably. The CVT provides excellent acceleration for keeping up with trucks on the interstate. It feels like a golf cart gas peddle, seamlessly accelerating or decelerating with the pressure on the peddle (no herky-jerky gear shifting).

the continuously variable transmission and the small hatchback design.

I don't particularly like the appearance from the front-view (it's pretty plain). All other points of view are fine. I much prefer the looks of the Mazda3's front end.

Compacts have come a long way.
By Scott

2008 Nissan Versa 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I have mostly owned Toyotas and decided to give Nissan a try. Jury is still out on if I made the right decision. The car has been reliable accept for a front end clunk that the dealer cannot replicate. Seems to be a common issue that Nissan should address. The interior space and smooth engine are its greatest assets. Not sure if I like the 6-spd. It should provide a lower RPM in 6th gear for highway driving. Having said that the gearing allows for unmatched power on hills. For an entry level car this is miles ahead of the Tercels and Metro I have owned. It provides a fairly quiet cabin, plenty of rear legroom, adequate power, and many modern amenities at a fair price.

Interior space and design. Nice feeling interior materials. Stable driving experience. Visibility due to high seating position. One of the nicer vehicles I have had for highway driving. Pretty good factory stereo. Safety features.

Build quality seems to be lacking a little. Intermittent rattles from the dash. Suspension clunk is an annoyance. A re-geared 6spd manual to improve highway rpm and fuel economy. I get 30 mpg around town and only 31 on highway.

A Fun, Dependable, Economical Ride
By merlin8735

2008 Nissan Versa 1.8 SL 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

We have owned our Versa for two years and have 29800 miles on it. We have the 1.8SL Hatchback with CVT. This is not a bland econo box. The CVT is seamless at all power levels and makes the car fun to drive, especially in traffic on the interstate. Highest Hwy mileage has been 36, but average is 31. Combined mileage is 29. The car handles snow and ice very well. The car is comfortable with minimal road noise. The only thing about the car we don't like is the ventilation. Even with a new cabin filter. Most of our miles on the car have been on the highway at speeds well over the speed limit. The car is a blast to drive and we would gladly buy another one.

The CVT Transmission

A better ventilation system and moving the cup holders back from the dash a bit.