Used 2008 Nissan Versa Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Nissan Versa - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Versa model:

Compacts have come a long way.
By Scott

2008 Nissan Versa 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I have mostly owned Toyotas and decided to give Nissan a try. Jury is still out on if I made the right decision. The car has been reliable accept for a front end clunk that the dealer cannot replicate. Seems to be a common issue that Nissan should address. The interior space and smooth engine are its greatest assets. Not sure if I like the 6-spd. It should provide a lower RPM in 6th gear for highway driving. Having said that the gearing allows for unmatched power on hills. For an entry level car this is miles ahead of the Tercels and Metro I have owned. It provides a fairly quiet cabin, plenty of rear legroom, adequate power, and many modern amenities at a fair price.

Favorite Features

Interior space and design. Nice feeling interior materials. Stable driving experience. Visibility due to high seating position. One of the nicer vehicles I have had for highway driving. Pretty good factory stereo. Safety features.

Suggested Improvements

Build quality seems to be lacking a little. Intermittent rattles from the dash. Suspension clunk is an annoyance. A re-geared 6spd manual to improve highway rpm and fuel economy. I get 30 mpg around town and only 31 on highway.

A Fun, Dependable, Economical Ride
By merlin8735

2008 Nissan Versa 1.8 SL 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

We have owned our Versa for two years and have 29800 miles on it. We have the 1.8SL Hatchback with CVT. This is not a bland econo box. The CVT is seamless at all power levels and makes the car fun to drive, especially in traffic on the interstate. Highest Hwy mileage has been 36, but average is 31. Combined mileage is 29. The car handles snow and ice very well. The car is comfortable with minimal road noise. The only thing about the car we don't like is the ventilation. Even with a new cabin filter. Most of our miles on the car have been on the highway at speeds well over the speed limit. The car is a blast to drive and we would gladly buy another one.

Favorite Features

The CVT Transmission

Suggested Improvements

A better ventilation system and moving the cup holders back from the dash a bit.

Big mistake!
By Sheila W.

2008 Nissan Versa 1.8 SL 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

Loved the car when I first got it. Had problems from the moment I drove it off the lot. Tire pressure light won't turn off, bluetooth is unusable, the car SHOCKS me evertime I get in or out of it, gas mileage is about 25 mpg freeway, not the 35 mpg that was promised. I have had to replace tires within the first 6 months. Dealership refuses to help with the shocking problem- claim my nose ring is causing the shock. Now the transmission slips while I am driving and I am terrified to go anywhere. I am a mom of 2 and do not treat the car harshly. Horrible horrible car. Save yourself a huge headache and choose another vehicle!

Favorite Features

Keyless entry is nice. Back seat is large enough for three car seats. 6 disc cd player is nice (and it actually works!).

Suggested Improvements

Find a way for the car NOT to shock the driver, gas mileage, there's a lot of poorly designed visual blockages that could be dangerous, bluetooth stinks, design a non-slipping transmission, car is ugly on the outside, tougher tires.

i liked it untill.....
By 08versa

2008 Nissan Versa 1.8 S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

bought it in 2008, so its 2 years old. has about 20000 miles on it. Bought it to go back and forth to school and work, so far has done its job. mpg is average-good. Handles pretty good in the snow but don't always trust it. shaky in the wind. love the inside, but ugly outside. Having some issues now where the car hesitates. like its not getting enough fuel or power. taken it to the dealership, they say nothing is wrong. BS!! Great for the price i paid. if i only had $12000 to buy my next car, would buy it again, but hoping not it. Great on long trips and storage space. was wishing for a little better gas millage.My dogs love the back seat. over all, Good-average car.

Favorite Features

interior, back seat, feel high off the ground, space!

Suggested Improvements

ugly outside, hoped for a little better gas millage. The problem i'm having and the dealership telling me nothing is wrong.

was ok at first
By dc

2008 Nissan Versa 1.8 SL 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

The car was great at first. Fuel regulator replaced twice. Three visits for air conditioning. Parts were on national back order 2wks. Two weeks with out air in fla. They didn't want to put me in a rental, but did. Now some really. Weird noises when I accelerate. Appt tomorrow. A few other minor things no big. Will not buy another Nissan. To many problems with this one.

Favorite Features

roomy and quiet

Suggested Improvements

shouldn't have to wait so long for parts